ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Rebuilding a sequence with exported media?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Manuel MontesRebuilding a sequence with exported media?
by on Nov 29, 2014 at 11:56:51 am

Hello all:
I had a huge problem with a big project.
I was working on the final touches of a movie edition and suddenly my hard disk failed. I couldn't rescue any of the files. I saved the original video and audio files for security in another hard drive but I lost the project file.
Fortunately 1 day before the crash I exported a file with almost all the changes.

Do you know if there is any way, maybe a plugin, to rebuild the sequence using that final video, maybe analysing the images on it?

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: Rebuilding a sequence with exported media?
by on Nov 29, 2014 at 4:49:51 pm

I don't think that plugin exists. Any chance you would have a recent auto-save of the project file on another drive? Otherwise I would start looking into options for recovering the hard drive. There's some software out there that may help, or take it to an expert. It will cost $$ but if you need the files, your options are limited.

Return to posts index

Manuel MontesRe: Rebuilding a sequence with exported media?
by on Nov 29, 2014 at 4:55:59 pm

I don't have the project autosaves because I lost all the files when the hard disk failed. I could recover the original video files from another disk but not the project and the disk is totally inaccesible.
I have tried asking some experts but the cost is like $800 or more, It's not a real option for me.
So as I see, I have to edit all again :/

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: Rebuilding a sequence with exported media?
by on Nov 29, 2014 at 5:07:23 pm

I'm afraid so. You could look into recovery software. I've had mixed luck with some in the past (can't remember the name of it), and it would likely be cheaper. They usually allow you to test a small portion to see if it works before paying for it. It's a long shot, but worth a try.

It sucks to learn the hard way, but I bet you'll always back up your project on a separate drive from now on. I actually just drag a version of the project file to my Google Drive account in the cloud every few hours. It's easy and no need to have another hard drive hooked up all the time.

Return to posts index

Rob TrujilloRe: Rebuilding a sequence with exported media?
by on Nov 30, 2014 at 11:31:10 pm

I've had this problem i think twice in the past 3-4 years. One time, the drive completely failed, nothing but clicks, so no way to recover anything without having the platters taken out (probably what you've found). The other time, the drive seemed find but all of the media/project files were just gone. I used recovery software, it took a day to do its thing, but eventually recovered everything.

Since that 2nd time, that can't happen again, sounds like you know what it means to sink part of a lifetime into a project and have it all gone in a few nanoseconds... I set my system up expecting it to happen again some day. I made a batch file that executes every time windows starts and makes a new backup of all of the project files on a separate drive, and i keep backups of all of the media for important projects.

One thing i haven't worked out- most cameras save media files with names like 0000.mts, 0001.mts etc. So if i loose a multicam project of say 10-14 cameras and manage to recover it, when i load it into premiere the first time after recovery, premiere usually needs to be pointed to where the media files are- it'll say for example "where is the file 0000.mts". But there are ten of those exact filenames in a 10 camera project, and each camera has its own folder. So how do i know which 0000.mts i should point it to? The obvious thing would be to rename each file with something more descriptive, but that would take hours.

There are batch programs that can do it all in a few seconds, but have read too many scare stories where it messes things up pretty bad, so haven't been excited to do down that path. Maybe there is a simple solution that i haven't found. I haven't used CC much yet, maybe that's been addressed..

Return to posts index

Jake AbramsonRe: Rebuilding a sequence with exported media?
by on Dec 5, 2014 at 10:06:42 pm

What kind of drive is it? If it is an external drive in an enclosure, sometimes the enclosure fails and you can pull the drive and hook it up to a USB adapter to it will still work. In a few cases with a clicking or dead drive, I put the drive in the freezer and it worked long enough to get my files. The drive will usually work until it warms back up, but I've wrapped in ice packs and even ziplocked and dunked in cold water. If it's "dead", you don't have much to lose trying.

If you do manage to get it working, pull your project file first. You don't know how long it will last.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved