ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Higher Bitrate Possible for Quicktime Export?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken BakerHigher Bitrate Possible for Quicktime Export?
by on Nov 25, 2014 at 3:47:59 am
Last Edited By Ken Baker on Nov 26, 2014 at 2:03:53 am

Hi, everyone! I'm working on my first project that needs to be exported for television broadcast, but I can't seem to match the export settings to the media requirements I was given. Through a lot of researching the internets and these forums, I think I've gotten most of my questions answered but one: How do you increase the bitrate of a file being exported to .mov?

I've attached an image of my current export settings in CS6 as best as I can figure them, but I don't know why I'm not able to increase the bitrate (with that handy little slider). Instead, I'm given "Basic Video Settings" and "Limit data rate to xxxxx kbps" which seem super generic and unable to let me increase the bitrate to what I need, which is a constant bitrate of at least 15 Mbps (this seems high to me for SD, but it's what they require). I've also attached an image of the media requirements for submitting this video, in case that is helpful.

I'm gonna be honest, I'm starting to freak out a little of this as the deadline gets nearer, so if anyone has any ideas that could help me suss this out, I love you.

Thanks so much in advance!
-Ken B.

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IVRe: Higher Bitrate Possible for Quicktime Export?
by on Nov 25, 2014 at 8:38:26 pm

I don't see your export settings, but if you are doing ProRes try switching to ProRes LT if you need a lower data rate.

You can check the exported file in a QuickTime player and select Show Inspector to get the data rate of the file. You may already be above the required minimum.

Living the SuiteLife!
Stuff for editors

Return to posts index

Ken BakerRe: Higher Bitrate Possible for Quicktime Export?
by on Nov 26, 2014 at 2:24:03 am
Last Edited By Ken Baker on Nov 26, 2014 at 2:25:01 am

Thanks so much for your reply, Joe! I fixed my mistake, so you should be able to see my export settings now.

All of my settings are producing a .mov file with the specs the station needs from me, except I can't raise the bit rate. I've tried exporting with the "Bitrate Settings" box unchecked and checked but at high bitrates like 25,000, but manually entering a higher rate like this never results in a higher bitrate in the exported video. It always end up just slightly under 6,000 kbps no matter what I set this to (see image below).

I was clicking around AME and found the NTSC DV preset, which for a moment I thought was the answer to my prayers - but that turns out to reduce chroma subsampling to 4:1:1! (I need to retain 4:2:0).

Oh yeah, and I don't know why it showing as "Progressive" in the media info either, since I exported it as lower first...

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Ryan HolmesRe: Higher Bitrate Possible for Quicktime Export?
by on Nov 27, 2014 at 3:07:04 am

You need to find out what codec(s) they accept. Quicktime is just a wrapper (or "Format" as AME calls it). Inside that wrapper you can put virtually anything - h.264, JPEG, ProRes, DNxHD, Animation, DVCPRO, etc. Your settings show that you are using "Uncompressed" as your codec. You could use something like ProRes or just straight NTSC DV (a standard codec back in the SD days was DV25 at 25mbps). But it all comes down to what the station accepts.

Ryan Holmes

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved