ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Laptop + Monitor OR Desktop only - Preferred workstation setup ?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shravan RamLaptop + Monitor OR Desktop only - Preferred workstation setup ?
by on Nov 25, 2014 at 3:44:59 am

So I'm about to start freelancing.
but the question is:

I can either afford a good desktop with good specs

OR

The MacBook Pro + A decent external Monitor

The problem with desktop is I can only work from my home - so incase I need to be mobile/client expects me to come work at their place this would be difficult/

However ,if I have a Macbook Pro/any laptop - I can be mobile and work anywhere and at the same time ,when I go home , I can connect it to a nice large monitor and use that like a desktop right ? So this works perfectly for me both as a laptop & desktop .

What do you guys prefer ?

Return to posts index

Al LeVineRe: Laptop + Monitor OR Desktop only - Preferred workstation setup ?
by on Nov 25, 2014 at 8:24:32 pm

Completely depends on what you're doing.

I have both setups. At my office I've got a loaded MacPro because I'm dealing with thousands of files, a SAN, and extremely quick turn arounds. After Effects renders while simultaneously exporting a cut and referencing many many versions of a project.

At home I have a MacBook Pro and 27 inch monitor, and I mainly use it for small freelance projects. Small promos, personal projects, etc...

So it really depends how deep you plan to go. If you're dealing with 4k, effects, massive SAN drives, quick turn arounds, etc... go with a MacPro. If you're doing simple edits, some effects, but the portability is going to help you out more in the long run, go with the MacPro.

Middle ground: iMac. It's sort of portable (office to office), but extremely powerful.

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: Laptop + Monitor OR Desktop only - Preferred workstation setup ?
by on Nov 25, 2014 at 9:38:00 pm

I freelanced for several years with a MacBook Pro, even doing some light 4K work. It's not ideal for projects that may require complex graphics or animation, but it got the job done for what I needed. If you can only afford one computer now and need to be mobile, it's a good way to go. Just be prepared for some longer render times and the occasional lag.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]