ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Track Matte Key - Should it work like this?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Parsons
Track Matte Key - Should it work like this?
on Nov 21, 2014 at 10:09:04 pm

I'm trying to use the Track Matte Key effect in PPro CC 2014 but it's not working correctly... I think.

I'm using a generated Black Video clip on V2 as the mask for the Track Matte Key effect (on a clip in V1). The keying works fine but the problem I'm having is when I go to move the position of the clip in V1 it does not move the clip BEHIND the matte (allowing me to pan and scan within the confines of the matte), INSTEAD it moves the matte and the clip together. This essentially makes it no different than adding a mask to the clip on V1 and then changing the position properties of the clip.

I don't think it should work this way (correct me if I'm wrong) and if it is, how do I mask off half the screen and move clips behind the mask?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

jerry wise
Re: Track Matte Key - Should it work like this?
on Nov 22, 2014 at 1:24:08 am

yep...that's the way it works. great if you want to move a pic around on the screen with a shaped matte. but if you want to move the pic behind the matte you are SOL. this works GREAT in fcp7. to make it work in premiere you have to make a new sequence with your pic and make the track matte see that as the fill...and you can move the pic around. but it's a real pain in the arse and pretty stupid.
I wish they'd fix this and many other things.

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Nov 22, 2014 at 8:56:39 am

Can you nest V1?

then step into the nest and do the move?

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

jerry wise
on Nov 22, 2014 at 6:08:36 pm

yes you can. but that's the same as creating a new sequence and making that new sequence the fill for your hole cutter. and yes you can move/zoom/rotate etc. but you are flying blind unless you copy your hole cutter to the new sequence as a reference and make it 20% transparent so you can precisely move your clip or pic. then after you have your move set you have to make invisible the hole cutter on the new sequence. it's just a lot to go thru to get a really simple effect. I do this kind of effect every day on fcp7. it takes only a few seconds. this is a simple math operation. I don't understand why premiere has made it so difficult.
we are transitioning to premiere from fcp7 and I find a lot of the great tools missing in premiere. sadly.

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Nov 22, 2014 at 6:45:54 pm

I agree with you....should be easier....

but build it in the main 1st...so you can repo your fill in relation to the matte on top of it...

then nest the fill

then add the matte key to the nest clip ( on the main seqeucne..not inside it) last...

they really should add a pref in the track matte to have it be pre/post motion transform. that would solve it.

I can see plenty of cases where you want to do both types or work.

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

Daniel Mulford
on Jul 13, 2015 at 5:59:35 pm

I'm encountering the same problem in Premiere CC 2015. Has this become any easier since this thread was created? Or does anyone have any tricks for pulling off this effect more easily?

I'm producing a video right now that relies HEAVILY on moving images through static cut-out "windows".

Return to posts index

Larry Asbell
on Jul 13, 2015 at 11:08:00 pm

Get the free plug-in called "Simple Mask" from creativeimpatience.com. It does exactly what you want to do, easy peasey.

Several others there are equally handy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]