ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Adobe QT32 Server Not Responding

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
Adobe QT32 Server Not Responding
on Nov 21, 2014 at 9:59:43 pm

Hi -
getting terrible performance in playback of Premiere CC2014 on Mac Pro with 12gig RAM.
Drives are fast enough. Open up Activity Monitor on the Mac Pro, and when the problem starts, you
can see in Activity Monitor in bright red - "Adobe QT32 Server Not Responding". I did a google search on this, and lots of people complain about it on the Adobe forums, with no apparent solution.

Is anyone aware of this, or has ever seen this ?

Thanks -
Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
Re: Adobe QT32 Server Not Responding
on Nov 22, 2014 at 12:28:31 am

Hi Bob,

Went down this rat hole a few weeks back and came across some solutions regarding the removal of the DVCPROHDoutput codec in the Quicktime Library. I removed it on some of our bays, but still see this issue popping back up in the activity monitor from day to day.

Here are some pages to read I found when dealing with the issue:

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/08/solutions-for-problems-with-qui...

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2011/02/troubleshooting-quicktime-error...

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/08/solutions-for-problems-with-qui...

Also terminal fix for Ap Nap issues if you are running Mavericks or Yosemite.
https://forums.adobe.com/message/6561278#6561278

You can also apply the new ProApps Codec pack from Apple (http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1396 ) if the machine has any of the Apple aps on it (FCPX or Compressor).

Adobe is aware of the issue, thus the blog posts above.

We had some playback issues with our older AJA Kona cards and upgraded to the latest drivers. It has helped, but still needed extra fine tuning with the help of AJA support call.

If you come across any more info, please post back.

Andy Edwards
Denver

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Nov 22, 2014 at 1:22:29 am

Thanks for posting those links, Andy.

Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Support Product Manager—DVA
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
on Nov 22, 2014 at 1:53:14 am

Your Welcome. Thanks for adding more details. It sure is a intermittent issue at times, so hard to pin it down for QE to solve. If I come across any more fixes in our bays, I'll post back.

Andy Edwards
Denver

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Nov 24, 2014 at 2:50:50 am

"We had some playback issues with our older AJA Kona cards and upgraded to the latest drivers. It has helped, but still needed extra fine tuning with the help of AJA support call."

Care to post what the extra fine tuning suggestions were?

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
on Nov 24, 2014 at 3:33:06 pm

Couple setting changes. This was on our iO4K and also tried with our older Kona 3 card.

Under Premiere Audio Hardware tab: Change Buffer size to 512.
Under Premiere Playback tab: AJA Setup: Change video format to Match Sequence, and buffer mode set to Minimum.
Under AJA Control Panel: Audio set to +12dbu FSD, Format - pixel format set to YUV-8.

The audio setup change in the AJA Control Panel was specific for our 5.1 concert. It might not effect you if you are dealing with just a stereo mix. We were getting over modulated audio and changing this setting for 5.1 seems to fix that and make the output sound better on our 5.1 speakers.

Andy Edwards

Return to posts index

Barry O'Brien
on Mar 18, 2015 at 4:04:00 pm

I contacted AJA Support, and they recommended that I install the new, combined Ver 12 driver and Abobe Premiere Plug in. That eliminated the stuttering and freezing, although I just installed it, so this is just an initial assessment.

I must say that AJA has a great support team. Over the years, they have been wonderfully responsive, and stick with you until the problem is solved.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Nov 22, 2014 at 12:29:04 am

I had a problem with it as well, not in performance but showing any prores footage
imported or existing as offline.

look in your quicktime\plugins folder for anything out of the ordinary.

my issue was a DTS HD MA decoder. after removing, it fixed it.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Nov 22, 2014 at 1:20:40 am

Hi Bob,
This is from Premiere Pro QE:

"The QT32Server process always shows as “Not Responding” in the activity monitor, this is normal (in OS X 10.9.x, and later - KM). The way to tell if QT32Server is hung (which happens if  QuickTime crashes or get stuck and never returns control to us) is to look at the CPU load for that process when doing some QuickTime intensive thing (non-native import and export)."

[Bob Zelin] "getting terrible performance in playback of Premiere CC2014 on Mac Pro with 12gig RAM. Drives are fast enough."

Primarily, we've seen issues from those updating complex project files from Premiere Pro CC 2014 (8.0) to Premiere Pro CC 2014.1 (8.1). Many of those reporting issues are Mac users on OS X 10.9.x, or later and on the 2013 Mac Pro with dual AMD GPUs. Currently, I am recommending against updating project files and only do so for new projects only.

Brand new projects typically don't exhibit these performance issues. You may want to perform a test with a new project. Personally, I am on OS X 10.8.5, and experience no trouble, even with updating legacy projects (however, my projects are rather simple).

[Bob Zelin] "I did a google search on this, and lots of people complain about it on the Adobe forums, with no apparent solution."

We have a bug filed and are actively looking for a solution as we are having a difficult time reproducing the issue. If you can file a bug report here, it would be most appreciated: http://adobe.ly/ReportBug

One common problem that may be related to your performance issues is that updating OS X can sometimes reset the permissions of crucial Adobe folders. See my blog here: http://blogs.adobe.com/kevinmonahan/2014/09/10/premiere-pro-cc-freezing-on-...

Other things that may help:

Return to posts index

Philip Owens
on Feb 5, 2015 at 3:06:14 am

I've just switched to Yosemite and Premiere Pro and am seeing exactly this issue. A simple 2V/6A timeline with all source material ProRes 4444 that would give no problems playing back from my GRAID in FCP 7 is just horrible in PP - playback is terribly stuttering and lots needs to be rendered. I've tried the suggestions here to no effect.

Return to posts index

Barry O'Brien
on Mar 17, 2015 at 2:20:24 am

Thanks to all of you for helping here. I have a similar, possibly related, situation:

First of all, I have a MacPro 3,1
2 X 2.8 Quad-Core Intel
OS Mavericks 10.9.5
22 Gbs RAM
I'm using a MacVidCards "flashed" GTX 770 4 Gb for the monitors and
an AJA Kona LHE+ for the broadcast monitor.

The sequence, which is just one music track and three checkerboarded video tracks plays back choppy and eventually, Premiere will freeze - you can't play the sequence, you can't save, you can't force quit Premiere. I just have to crash the computer and bring up Premiere again.

Now, just before this, I had installed a Apple Security Update with a build number 13F1066. MacVidCards pointed me to a MacRumors Posting
about this recent Apple Security Update which caused an issue with the drivers for both OS X 10.9 and 10.10. NVIDIA issued a new driver for 10.10 to resolve the issue and MacVidCards figured out a fairly simple fix for 10.9. They said to sure to follow the instruction exactly:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=20819134&postcount=33

I did this, and it worked, evidently, since then there is a new driver from NIVIDA. I'll look at that tomorrow.

But, in the meantime, I noticed that my MAC Activity Monitor was showing up around 185% CPU usage for Premiere Pro, when the sequence was playing,
and the Adobe QT32 Server (Not Responding) which was in red, was showing 145% CPU usage when I was exporting the file.

Now I would presume that these should be well under 100% RAM usage was relatively low.

I would think the freezing and stuttering would somehow be related to this?

Any help would be appreciated, and I thank you all for your time in advance.

Regards,

Barry O'Brien

Return to posts index

Barry O'Brien
on Mar 19, 2015 at 6:37:48 pm

I learned a couple of things that may be to use for others on the issue of sticky/jumpy playback and premiere freezing.

One big problem was not where I was looking. I have an AJA Kona LHe+ board that I use to feed picture to my broadcast monitor. On a whim, I contacted AJA Support, and they recommended upgrading the driver to 12.1, which includes the Adobe Plug-in as part of it.

I installed the new driver and Premiere is running much better, and not locking up. If you have a Kona board, you may want to look into that.

But I still have a question. If I turn on the Activity Monitor and watch CPU usage, it will average about 70% CPU usage while a sequence is playing back, but it can jump to over 100% up to 140% to 150%. Is that right? I am wondering if I have a processing bottleneck going on.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Regards,

Barry O'Brien

Return to posts index

Tim Ward
on Mar 14, 2015 at 11:59:29 pm

I had this too. Removed all codecs except ProRes from /Library/QuickTime and it helped. No more "Adobe QT32 Server Not Responding." Now to isolate which specific codec(s).

Mac Pro 3,1
24GB
Premiere Pro 8.2/CC 2014.2

Return to posts index

Barry O'Brien
on Mar 18, 2015 at 3:51:44 pm

Did you discover which codec was causing the problem?

Return to posts index

Tim Ward
on Mar 19, 2015 at 4:01:43 pm

So far I seem to have narrowed it down to the AJA codecs (I have a Kona LHi and v12.1 codecs), and the Avid Quicktime LE codecs (I have v2.5.0).

Tim

Return to posts index

Barry O'Brien
on Mar 19, 2015 at 4:24:29 pm

Bob,

By any chance, d`o you have an AJA Kona Board in your computer? I have a AJA Kona LHe+ and the problem that I have was to a great extent eliminated when AJA advised me to upgrade my driver to version 12.1, which is a combined AJA video driver and the Adobe Premiere Pro CC Plug-in.

I still have a couple of issues, but the upgrade to the new V 12.1driver made a huge difference.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]