ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Problems Encoding SD Video For Blu-Ray Release

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim SuttonProblems Encoding SD Video For Blu-Ray Release
by on Nov 20, 2014 at 10:52:25 pm

Hello all,

I'm currently preparing a Blu-Ray disc for an independent release of a webseries (using DoStudio Indie if that's at all relevant). I am fortunate enough to still have access to all of the original project files for every episode (all five years' worth) and so I can encode straight from the original projects, which is a plus. Now, on to the problem at hand.

Our first two seasons were shot at 720*480, 29.97 fps interlaced, through a fairly decent consumer handycam. For our DVD release I was able to render all these files out to 29.97p and everything looked great. Unfortunately, Blu-Ray doesn't support progressive video at 29.97 fps, which is the cause of the current pickle I'm in. If I try to render them at their native resolution, they look awful, interlacing artifacts everywhere. If I render the video at 1440*1080, there are no interlacing artifacts but the video appears to run at 60 fps which also looks terrible (it's got horribly smooth motion, but according to MediaInfo it's still running at 29.97 fps).

What would be a good solution to this?

As per the rules:

Computer: PC (built myself, more detailed specs if necessary)
Software: Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13, Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014, Sony DoStudio Indie
Source codec: MPEG, 720*480 @ 29.97i, Main@Main, 9 Mbps
Destination codec: AVC/x264, for Blu-Ray replication

Return to posts index

Chris BorjisRe: Problems Encoding SD Video For Blu-Ray Release
by on Nov 21, 2014 at 1:22:37 am

Blu-Ray spec supports SD interlaced video, why not just import assets as they
are from the DVD project?

Or does Do Studio not support SD mpeg2 import?

Whatever blu-ray player it plays on will be scaling it up to HD any way.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved