ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Confusion about - render using preview?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JonZ MarZ
Confusion about - render using preview?
on Nov 20, 2014 at 2:10:06 am

The using preview is supposedly to render preview in the timeline at low resolution. However the tool tip seems to suggest that it help to accelerate the render time without mentioning the final quality will be just as good as if you also tick maximum quality render. So what's going on in there?

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
Re: Confusion about - render using preview?
on Nov 20, 2014 at 3:20:54 am

By default PPro renders previews to I-Frame MPEG but it outputs whatever you choose. However, you can set up a custom sequence to render previews to another codec if you choose. So say your footage is ProRes 422 and you're going to output ProRes 422. You could set up your sequence to render previews to ProRes 422 and that way if you check the "Use Previews" when you output those frames will be used in your output thus saving time since the frames are already cached and consistent in the workflow. I don't mess with that Maximum Render quality thing. The time and place to use it escapes me.

If you need to work in a lowrez environment on your timeline just select a different resolution on your Program Monitor. It's like built in Proxy mode. I've been editing 5k R3D at 1/8 resolution with no problems at all on a 2013 Macbook Pro.

Return to posts index

JonZ MarZ
on Nov 20, 2014 at 3:25:47 am
Last Edited By JonZ MarZ on Nov 20, 2014 at 3:27:06 am

Thanks for the prompt answer. So the preview is only useful when outputing the same codec of the preview setting in the timeline? It doesn't accelerate the final footage or anything with special algorithm? (I know I might sound crazy but that's how the tool tip sound).

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Nov 20, 2014 at 4:56:26 am

http://blogs.adobe.com/VideoRoad/2011/08/a-prores-workflow-end-to-end.html?...

Old blog, but it explains it nicely.

Return to posts index

David Patterson
on Nov 20, 2014 at 3:47:14 pm

FWIW, I believe you can set your previews to a lower pixel resolution, which can speed up editing time on a slow machine. My program monitor window size is always smaller than the final image resolution. I often edit at 1/2 resolution, so there is little need to have my previews created at full resolution. The only time I set my program monitor to full resolution is when using MB Denoiser (which requires full resolution to work), or when checking mattes, text and fine detail work.

Return to posts index

JonZ MarZ
on Nov 20, 2014 at 5:01:12 pm

I believe the thread has a bit drifted toward the use of preview during editing. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough. The purpose of the preview in the timeline editing is clear to me, what is not clear is the final output through the export window where you tick using preview. For a long time I believed it was used to accelerate somewhat your renders, but I'm confused if it use the same quality of the preview in the timeline or it just borrow the preview to finish the rendered frames to a higher quality.

But I believe since I don't use the same codec for the final output as explained above it been re-rendered to a higher quality so it make the preview ticked box useless (and placebo)? It confusing because these options are still available when you do the changes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]