ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Digital > SVHS > Digital Frame Rate?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken KlippsDigital > SVHS > Digital Frame Rate?
by on Nov 19, 2014 at 9:48:30 pm

I have a music video that was shot on a Canon 5D in 24p. My client has asked me to run it through an SVHS player as a stylistic choice. I exported the video for DVD use, played it on a DVD player outputting S-Video to my broadcast SVHS deck. However, upon returning it to the computer using the Elgato Video Capture device, I realized that the song and the video don't match up.

I don't know much about the frame rates of DVDs or SVHS tapes but I need it to line up perfectly upon re-digitizing. What can I do? Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Digital > SVHS > Digital Frame Rate?
by on Nov 19, 2014 at 11:09:36 pm

Well, how did you author the DVD? DVDs can be 23.98 or 29.97...depends on how they are made. S-VHS is 29.97, period. No 23.98 at all. But who knows if it locks to that frame rate. You have a Pro deck, so it might. But still, I suspect a pro s-vhs deck isn't a lock sync as a digitbeta or other professional format.

And then you have the Elgato device, which isn't professional by any stretch of the imagination. It captures it in some propreitary format...who knows what codec. And I don't think that keeps a consistent frame rate...that might even make it 30fps. What does the clip info say about the frame rate on the clip from that device?

I would only rely on output to and capture from S-VHS from some pro IO device from AJA or BMD or Matrox.

Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ken KlippsRe: Digital > SVHS > Digital Frame Rate?
by on Nov 20, 2014 at 3:55:08 am

Thanks for the response Shane.

I authored my DVD in 23.976 because that was the framerate of the Premiere sequence. Now that I know SVHS is stuck at 29.98, I will definitely Twixtor the sequence to that frame rate and author in 29.98.

I will be using my friend's Ultrastudio 4K for the final transfer this weekend, but my client wanted to see how it would look today so I just whipped out my Elgato to send it quickly. In Premiere, the Elgato transfer footage is in 29.98 but its problematic. Beginning to think the Elgato is the culprit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved