ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Export Colorspace

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John RikerExport Colorspace
by on Nov 19, 2014 at 1:56:17 pm
Last Edited By John Riker on Nov 19, 2014 at 1:57:39 pm

Was hoping someone could explain to me the best selection for colorspace or workflow steps for my situation.

I am converting VHS content into digital. NOT going to DVD, will be staying as an MP4 or something similar. I have captured a VHS tape with ATI AIW hardware and a line TBC as the tape didn't need a full frame TBC. Captured with Lagarith. So now I have a lossless YUY2 4:2:2 piece of AVI footage. I have chosen to deinterlace it with AVISynth and QTGMC deinterlacer. OK so that's done and I still have YUY2 4:2:2 colorspace AVI.

Now I open this footage in Premiere as I want to run it against NeatVideo. First thing. The minute I bring it to premiere is it still YUY2 or is it now RGB? So I export the content. I know NeatVideo converts to RGB to do it's cleanup. After NeatVideo is done, and before it makes it to the encoder for each frame, is the footage still RGB or is it back to YUY2? I know I forced one of my lossless encoders to only accept YUY2 in Premiere and it crapped out so guessing it's not converting back to YUY2.

OK, so based on whatever is happening above, should I be making any attempt to bring this footage back to YUY2 or leave it in whatever colorspace it has been turned into above?

Lastly, if/when I choose to convert this using a codec that is NOT lossless, I never see any colorspace options or settings for those types of codec. If I for example go into Premiere and export to MPEG4 or H.264 what colorspace is it using in the end?

Appreciate any input on this. Note I'm using Premiere Pro CC.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Export Colorspace
by on Nov 19, 2014 at 3:31:01 pm

Here are some detailed notes on how Premiere handles YUV/RGB processing:

Please also note that the transformation from YUV to 32-bit floating-point RGB is lossless and reversible.

Is there a question behind your question?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved