ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

iMac 5k internal ssd options - opinions?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke LeeiMac 5k internal ssd options - opinions?
by on Nov 17, 2014 at 5:40:32 pm

Hello everyone,

This is my first post, and although I am not tech-knowledgable, I have tried my best to do a lot of research before asking here.

I am making a big investment on a 5k imac. I am upgrading to :

-4ghz processor
-AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR5

At the moment I will be starting an edit on 2k prores 4444 footage.
I also wish to make the storage flash for speed, therefore my question is :

Am I ok with the 256gb flash disc?

I will have adobe cs6 or cc mastersuite, and will use it for premiere pro, after effects (when i learn it), and my partner will likely use indesign and illustrator.

I will edit anything up to feature length drama, from portable hd's.

Will 256gb be enough, or should I be trying to cover the uplift for 512gb?

Thanks so much for the help.

Return to posts index

Tim JonesRe: iMac 5k internal ssd options - opinions?
by on Nov 17, 2014 at 7:00:24 pm

Of course, more is always better, but you can save some money going with the 1TB Fusion drive internally, and then buying a setup like the Seagate Thunderbolt to SAS/SATA adapter with a 1TB SSD from another source. For instance, the Samsung EVO 840 1TB with the Seagate adapter from Amazon is around US$500.

Note (to all SSD users) - Apple has made more lockout changes on Yosemite with regards to drivers and you can no longer easily enable TRIM functions (allow the disk to manage unused blocks more efficiently) on 3rd party SSD drives. While this isn't a serious performance hit for a normal access situation, it can introduce a problem in the long term for high-volume access like editing 4K.

Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Steve ConnorRe: iMac 5k internal ssd options - opinions?
by on Nov 17, 2014 at 7:32:20 pm

512 would obviously be better but I've been running my 2008 Mac Pro with the Full Adobe Suite, Resolve and FCPX on a 256GB SSD and haven't had any issues.

Return to posts index

Luke LeeRe: iMac 5k internal ssd options - opinions?
by on Nov 18, 2014 at 4:04:33 pm

Thank you all,

I went ahead with the 512gb. I figured the money spent now, would be saved later I'm sure.

Still don't know what I need 5k display for -yet. But again, the price difference from a top specced non-retina 27 seemed like a false economy.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved