ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Different FPS??

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anna holckDifferent FPS??
by on Nov 17, 2014 at 10:40:40 am

How do i edit two different video clips, with different FPS, without one of them to loose quality, or size?

Let's say i want to make a music video, and some of the clips are in slowmotion (50 FPS) And other in (25 FPS) And i have to edit them.. How the heck do i do that??

Do you edit the different FPS Videos in different sequences? Or do you edit it all in one sequence, if so how? And if i should edit it all in one, which FPS should i use for the entire Sequence?

And do i have to change anything? And if so, is it the video or sequence FPS i have to change?

Thank you so much in advance! And sorry if it is all very confusing. :)

Return to posts index

Mark NorgateRe: Different FPS??
by on Nov 17, 2014 at 2:52:00 pm

The easy way is to right click on your clips and go to modify > interpret footage > assume this frame rate and type in 25 (if you're working in 25). this will make all your 50fps stuff play back at half speed (which is presumably what you want).

The difficult way is by transcoding all of your footage to 25 outside of premiere but this will result in loss of quality and artefacts on the footage.

Return to posts index

anna holckRe: Different FPS??
by on Nov 17, 2014 at 3:35:27 pm

But when i change the 50 FPS to 25 FPS, will it then be the same as if i just recorded the original video clip in 25 or will it still work for slowmotion, meaning will it still be the same as 50 FPS, even though it is changed to 25? Because otherwise i don't see the point of shooting it in 50 FPS in the first place, if you're just going to change it to 25 later.

Thanks for answering! :-)

Oh and also, is there anyway that you can change FPS (Interpret) without it being made slowmotion or fastmotion? (depending on what you're going to change it to) Cause i would like to do that manually in after effects, after FPS is changed.

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Different FPS??
by on Nov 17, 2014 at 4:23:46 pm

NO need to change it if you want it normal speed. Simply have a sequence with the settings you want, with the frame rate you want, and cut in the off-frame rate footage. If it's 50fps, and you drop it into a 25fps sequence, the footage will be 25fps...every other frame will be removed. No quality lost.

REALLy easy.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

by on Nov 17, 2014 at 4:35:17 pm

It wont be the same result, it will be half the speed! And as Shane said above, if you want it at normal speed just drop the 50fps footage into a 25fps timeline and will be good. If you want to use the same bit of footage at both normal speed and half speed then you can make a copy of the clip and 'interpret' frame rate on one and not on the other.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 17, 2014 at 5:06:04 pm

Yes i woud have just dragged it in the 25 FPS sequence with the other videos that are 25 FPS, but when i try to there comes a mismatch warning up? What should i do there?

Return to posts index

by on Nov 17, 2014 at 5:07:23 pm

'keep existing settings'

Return to posts index

by on Nov 17, 2014 at 5:10:40 pm

But then it will be zoomed in or out (Can't remember which one.. I'm not so good with FPS)

Return to posts index

by on Nov 17, 2014 at 5:11:16 pm

ah, so it's 720p? right click and 'scale to frame size'

Return to posts index

by on Nov 17, 2014 at 5:13:46 pm

But won't it loose quality when you do that? in any way ?

Return to posts index

by on Nov 17, 2014 at 5:16:37 pm

it wont lose any quality as the 720p is less good quality than 1080 anyway, so you're "up-res-ing" it higher than it actually is. it would be different if you were to down-res 1080p footage to a 720p sequence.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 17, 2014 at 5:20:48 pm

Thanks! But just to be all clear, won't it loose quality in that way that it get's stretched out to fit the size? Og is that the other way around, 1080p to 720p?

Return to posts index

by on Nov 17, 2014 at 5:25:07 pm

If you shot 720p50 and you blow that up to 1080p25...yes, you will lose "a little" quality. A LITTLE. Premiere Pro actually is the best editing app for scaling footage. It does it better than anything else out there. I use it to scale footage for use in other editing software.

yes, you will lose a little quality. But I doubt you'd be able to tell.

If it's 1080p50, then no, you will lose NO quality...not zooming in at all.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

by on Nov 17, 2014 at 5:34:54 pm

So if was to make an music video where Almost all the video slips are 25 FPS, and also the sequence. And i have these few video clips that are 50 FPS. Do i just then drag them in the 25 FPS sequence and click ''Keep excisting settings'' And right click on the click and ''Scale to frame size'' ? Is that the way the proffesionals do it? will it then loose quality if you do the ''interpret'' thing INSTEAD of dragging it in and ''keeping existing settings'' ?

Return to posts index

by on Nov 17, 2014 at 5:37:46 pm

[anna holck] "Do i just then drag them in the 25 FPS sequence and click ''Keep excisting settings'' And right click on the click and ''Scale to frame size'' ?"

Yup.

[anna holck] " Is that the way the proffesionals do it?"

Yup.

[anna holck] "will it then loose quality if you do the ''interpret'' thing INSTEAD of dragging it in and ''keeping existing settings'' ?"

Nope. If you do the INTERPRET thing, you will make the footage slow motion. Do you want slow motion, or normal speed? ONLY USE INTERPRET IF YOU WANT IT TO BE SLOW MOTION. Otherwise, just drag the clip into the sequence...it will play normal speed.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

by on Nov 17, 2014 at 5:43:25 pm

I want it to be slowmotion, but i want to do it with Trixtor in after effects (So i just import the files from premiere pro to after affects and back again) What will that do if i make it slowmotion there? So if we say have dragged the clip into the timeline and click ''Keep excisting settings'' And interact it with after effects to aplly trixtor slowmotion on there, go back and then the slowmotion is applied, will it then loose quality? I am sorry that i don't know this very well (:

Return to posts index

by on Nov 17, 2014 at 6:16:59 pm

I didn't realise that. Be good to know how it loses quality by upscaling if the explanation isn't too technical for a monday evening?!

Return to posts index

by on Nov 17, 2014 at 6:19:11 pm

Well, if it's 720p...1280x720...and you blow it up to 1920x1080...then you'll lose a little quality. The explaination isn't all that technical...anytime you blow up anything, it'll lose quality. You are making the pixels bigger...so they will get softer.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

by on Nov 17, 2014 at 6:20:51 pm

Ah ok, gotcha. Thanks.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 17, 2014 at 6:25:02 pm

And also when you interpret you 50 FPS to 25. Can you further adjust the slowtion speed? And how? And i'm assuming that that won't make it loose quality either?

Return to posts index

by on Nov 17, 2014 at 6:26:45 pm

For anything AFTER EFFECTS, I'll leave that to the AE gurus. I barely know it, and don't use Twixtor.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Different FPS??
by on Nov 18, 2014 at 2:09:56 pm

[anna holck] "And also when you interpret you 50 FPS to 25. Can you further adjust the slowtion speed? And how? And i'm assuming that that won't make it loose quality either?"

The reason that there is no quality loss for slowing down "overcranked" (high frame rate) footage to the lower frame rate of your project is that you are still only using the original footage.

If you shoot 1 second at 50 frames per second, you have 50 frames. If you play then play those 50 frames back at a rate of 25 frames per second, it will take 2 seconds to play what you recorded in 1 second. That's the math behind overcranked slow motion.

If you want to slow the footage down further, say to 10 frames per second, you have to deal with the fact that your deliverable is still 25 frames per second. This is where "quality loss" comes in. In order to fit 10 into 25, you need to make up some frames. You'll either have to repeat frames (which will look stuttery), blend existing frames together (which will look soft), or synthesize new frames (which may introduce artifacts).

Twixtor (or Ae's built-in Pixel Motion frame blending mode or Timewarp effect) use a technique called "optical flow" to estimate the motion in between two real frames to imagine what a frame might look if it had been captured in between them. It can work, but it's not magic, and it may make your footage look "gloopy."

One other note on quality loss: for things like resizing and retiming, you can see any quality loss right away. What you see is what you get.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]