ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Hackintosh Graphics Cards

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Fabricius
Hackintosh Graphics Cards
on Nov 12, 2014 at 5:07:08 pm

I have a new Hackintosh and then along came Pro CC 2014 and it looks like I should buy a new graphics card to replace the on board one on the Gigabit motherboard, anyone out there got any advice as to which one will work best? I'm drawn to an NVIDIA V6000 or should I go for a gaming card like a GTX Titan Black?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Hackintosh Graphics Cards
on Nov 12, 2014 at 5:44:44 pm

Go with ones that are supported on the MacOS. To do that, you need to look the MAC versions of cards.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Paul Fabricius
on Nov 12, 2014 at 5:54:27 pm

Thanks, that makes sense. But what to buy?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 14, 2014 at 2:15:35 am

How about one highlighted in this article:

http://provideocoalition.com/ssimmons/story/wringing-the-life-of-an-old-mac...

NVidia K5000...

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-desktop-gpus.html

or cheaper K4000 or FX4800

http://provideocoalition.com/ssimmons/story/nvidias_quadro_4000_for_mac_mor...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 14, 2014 at 2:28:22 am

[Shane Ross] "or cheaper K4000"

Actually the K4000 on the Mac is a PITA. There was a Mac version of the Quadro 4000, but not so for the upgraded K4000. You can still run it, but CUDA is not always recognized and it's more than a little buggy. If I weren't stuck with my K4000 I'd get the GTX 780ti.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
on Nov 16, 2014 at 10:05:55 pm

Interesting comments Herb. We have a ton of installs of the PNY K4000 version on our Macs. Is your comment in relation to a Hackintosh or a regular Mac install? I'd be interested in knowing what issues you have been going through with the card.

Andy Edwards

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 17, 2014 at 3:56:13 am

[Andy Edwards] " I'd be interested in knowing what issues you have been going through with the card."

No OSX splash screen on start up. I have a dual screen setup and sometimes after booting only 1 screen is being recognized. Sometimes upon booting the screens are reversed. I'm not sure if Adobe is able to utilize the Cuda driver, I think it's using Open GL,and is therefore not as fast as it could be. (There was a reason I thought this, but I no longer remember what led me to believe it.)

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Leo Vitasovic
on Nov 14, 2014 at 1:45:52 pm

Hi!

I will try to make this as short as possible: I have some experience in building hackintosh computers (I built my last one some few months ago) and had the same problem - I wasn't sure which graphic card to pick. So I figured of I buy the most expensive one it would get the best performance, so I went off and bought NVIDIA GTX780.
Things seemed to work, but there were a few issues - Picture preview didn't work and Mac OSX's UI became buggy from time to time and the finally - Premiere CC was running slower than Premiere on Windows - note that my CUDA drivers WERE installed and Premiere WAS using them - triple-checked that..
After doing some research on tonymacosx (the best community ever if I may add), I found out that the lower model actually works better - so instead of buying GTX 780 I should have bought a GTX 770. Why? Well because apparantely 780 has an issue with its chip when used by a Mac OS so OpenCL can't function properly - and that was the reason why I was having problems.

Bottom line is: buy a GTX 770, install CUDA Drivers and have a blast!

Return to posts index

Duncan Craig
on Nov 16, 2014 at 8:13:45 pm

I'm using a 280x ( the new version of a 7970 IIRC) with FCPX.
The 290x still isn't properly supported.
You'll get more detailed info at Tony's Hackintosh site for sure.

I had a 670, but it seemed crippled under OSX.
The 280x is cheap, quiet, efficient and fast.

EX1
MBP
FCPX
Short fingernails

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]