ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Loss of Video in Program Monitor (goes to black)

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gregory DavidLoss of Video in Program Monitor (goes to black)
by on Nov 12, 2014 at 1:55:59 pm

This was posted yesterday as an answer to a previous post but I think it’s buried so here it is again:

1) Video is lost in the program monitor when changing effect settings, editing, playing - just about anything will make it happen, it just goes to black. If I match back to the source monitor I get video and I can still play the timeline with audio audible, however the program side remains black and a restart of Pr is required. I can also restore the video by switching to software only and back to Cuda again in the project settings. Of course I lose preview files when doing this. (I don’t know how long Pr takes build a preview file but this occurs pretty quickly sometimes.

Computer and history
This is an early 2013 2.7 ghz macbook pro with 16gb ram, 11 assigned to Pr, running on Cuda. The computer recently developed a logic board issue and the board was replaced by Apple. The computer now has a clean install of Yosemite. The Cuda driver is 6.5.18. Permissions are correct. All software is newly installed. Business and personal files were installed manually. The repair fixed the multiple crashes I was experiencing, and the clean install fixed a couple of minor OS items, but that’s about it.

More info on problem
This mostly occurs when using over raster source. I am editing GH4 UHD files in a 1080 timeline. Graphics are oversized too occasionally, but not by much. I use ProRes lite for renders. This worked pretty reliably on Mavericks, so it does not seem to be a power thing. I originally thought this was an Adobe/Cuda issue, and it may well be but I do think that Yosemite is part of the problem. Especially in the light of the next item below.

I also get a lot of screen image tear up and garbage in the overlays - like if I open mail over Pr. and the screen takes a hit when I open an close Pr. I see reports on this. This is not crashing the computer but I think it has a lot to do with Yosemite (sigh, I am such an idiot to have installed it).

After opening sequences that were created before the fresh install, I got a prompt saying that the timeline was using unsupported plugins and would be set to default. I was not doing that at all though just color corrections and standard repo stuff. After seeing this I removed all effects in all of the sequences that were created before the rebuild and clean install. I still continue to have the issue.

While my computer was being repaired I used a brand new macbook pro of similar setup and power (I restored the system from Time Machine)and I had the same issues with it, both the loss of video and the graphic glitches.

Return to posts index

Gregory DavidRe: Loss of Video in Program Monitor (goes to black)
by on Nov 12, 2014 at 3:57:12 pm

I had an idea that maybe the graphics glitches had something to do with scaling the screen for more space (apple preferences)and switched to best for display. Allas, no change.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved