ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Why is Adobe Media Encoder pure garbage?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mason Makram
Why is Adobe Media Encoder pure garbage?
on Nov 11, 2014 at 2:32:22 pm

I'm using CC 2014, latest update. We've been working with very large videos - 8640x1080. When I batch export using AME, it wants to take an hour+ per one-minute video. Somewhat understandable, considering how huge the resolution is. But when I export using Premiere, it only takes about 5 minutes (With Maximum Render Quality checked). Annoying, but last night I decided to just throw everything in AME and let it go overnight. The client needs HapQ, so I exported everything as that, plus ProRes so I could test watch everything. Glad I did because I got here this morning, and all of the sound was sporadic. Random tracks in each of the videos weren't working. Also, it was STILL chugging away at the last video in the que. That's over 12 hours it sat here.

So, now I'm re-exporting everything individually in Premiere, and it's working fine. I'm just going to export HapQ from the ProRes files, so I can make sure they came from a working file.

What the hell is wrong with AME? Also, does anyone know if there's a way to play HapQ files so I don't have to double up with ProRes to test watch them?

Return to posts index

Douglas Bowker
Re: Why is Adobe Media Encoder pure garbage?
on Nov 11, 2014 at 5:13:23 pm

I've been wondering about this myself. I just got on-board with the latests CC as well, and though every other program seems to have it's performance amped up, ME is definitely having some problems. Trouble is, it's the only program that has as many rendering options. After Effects has this tiny list of exports compared to ME.

Doug Bowker

Motion graphics, video and 3D Animation for the Medical and Technical World
http://www.dbowker3d.com

Return to posts index

Greg Jones
on Nov 11, 2014 at 5:46:04 pm

I had to switch the GPU Renderer to 'Cuda enabled' at the bottom of the Media Encoder interface, then it rendered out very fast. I have a NVIDIA GTX680 and I guess media encoder wasn't taking advantage of it until I switched that over.

Greg Jones
D7,Inc.

Greg Jones
Orlando,Fl.
http://www.d7-inc.com

Return to posts index

Douglas Bowker
on Nov 11, 2014 at 6:53:22 pm

Yeah- that seemed to do the trick for me too- just hadn't got around to posting. Thanks for yours. In the meantime I also found a little more info about this as well.

These guys wrote a simple script to make sure all CC programs are CUDA enabled all in one go. Pretty handy.
http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5.htm

Also: make sure both at the Bios level (for a PC) and in Power Options that you do not allow the system to throttle down PCI or PCI-X. This power saving option will suck the juice out of your graphics card.

Doug Bowker

Return to posts index

Mason Makram
on Nov 11, 2014 at 8:11:20 pm

Do I need CUDA enabled even if my video cards aren't nVidia? I think I uninstalled CUDA a while back because it was messing with some plugins in AE.

Mac Pro 2013
Processor - 2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory - 64 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC
Graphics - AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB (Dual)

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
on Nov 11, 2014 at 10:11:00 pm

No, you should select Open CL for your D700's.

Andy Edwards

Return to posts index

Douglas Bowker
on Nov 12, 2014 at 6:11:18 pm

Unfortunately, in this situation at least, pretty much all the acceleration coding that Adobe has applied in the last 5 years has been ever more Nvidia-centric. They state it right there on the the Hardware Requirements page: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/system-requirements.html There is not one card/GPU listed that is not Nvidia. So then Apple, being how it is with needing to do its own thing, loads up their high-end workstations, pretty clearly designed for video editing and such, with AMD GPUs. Maybe they work great for FCP or other editing but there is a world of difference in the Adobe products if CUDA is turned off (and I have a dual-Xeons with 24 cores, with 24GB of RAM so it's not like my workstation is under-powered on the CPU front). It's like performance is cut more than in half.

One thing about CPU and RAM allocation I've found is to set 3-4 GB of RAM per CPU. This will seem to not use all CPUs, but rendering in AE, Premiere or ME will definitely run faster and more stable.

Doug Bowker

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Nov 12, 2014 at 11:28:10 am

Hi Mason,

Things like clearing the media cache and trashing prefs would be good ideas.

You are dealing with a weird frame size and a big one at that - it will come with some performance hits in order to do it. You also didn't mention the specs of your system which are critical to determining where the cause of the issue may lie.

Lastly, you are outputting to a non-standard codec that was installed on the system. It's great that AME registers it and can encode to it, but you can't blame the performance of AME on a 3rd party codec.

Maybe some of the above can help point you towards a solution.

Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Mason Makram
on Nov 12, 2014 at 3:44:35 pm

No, you should select Open CL for your D700's.

I actually turned Open CL off a long while back because every export was failing otherwise. (On standard 1080p videos, not this crazy 8640x1080 stuff.) Granted, I haven't tried it since the CC 2014 update.

You are dealing with a weird frame size and a big one at that - it will come with some performance hits in order to do it.

Right, due to the large resolution, it wouldn't surprise me that AME would want to take so long. However, Premiere takes 5 minutes or less to export the same files and with absolutely no sound issues.

You also didn't mention the specs of your system which are critical to determining where the cause of the issue may lie.

My second post above. I have a maxed out Mac Pro 2013, so specs shouldn't be an issue.

Lastly, you are outputting to a non-standard codec that was installed on the system. It's great that AME registers it and can encode to it, but you can't blame the performance of AME on a 3rd party codec.

Actually, my issue was with the ProRes files that I exported. Since I can't watch HapQ files, I exported two files per video, one HapQ and one ProRes. This was so I could watch the ProRes files and get some reassurance of what I exported. My new system is that I export the videos individually in Premiere as ProRes, watch them, then throw those into Compressor to batch export to HapQ.

But the fact is, AME is unstable. Google it, and it's all that comes up. Actually, a contractor just came on site today who was saying he has 24 videos (simple 1080p) to export from Premiere, and AME just keeps crashing. Sure, I don't know his computer specs or if he even knows what he's doing, but it seems like people using the Adobe suite are always struggling with it. The fact that Premiere has an easier time exporting than the application built for compressing and exporting videos is a little weird, isn't it? I let it slide for a while because the Mac Pro is brand new and so is CC, but we're pretty deep in the 2014 updates now.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Nov 12, 2014 at 7:48:19 pm
Last Edited By Kevin Monahan on Nov 12, 2014 at 7:50:59 pm

Hi Mason,
Premiere Pro CC 2014.1 and AME CC 2014.1 should support 8K frame sizes. To my knowledge, ProRes can support 4K maximum, so that may be your issue.

Whoever says that AME is unstable might not be set up properly, especially users on OS X 10.9.x, or later. Certain methods of updating OS X can disrupt the permissions of crucial Adobe folders: http://blogs.adobe.com/kevinmonahan/2014/09/10/premiere-pro-cc-freezing-on-...

Usually, this solves most issues. If not, and you are on one of those 2013 Mac Pros, it might be a good idea to have your dual AMD GPUs tested by Apple.

If you know of anyone having problems, have them create a post here or on the Adobe forums.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Support Product Manager—DVA
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Mason Makram
on Nov 12, 2014 at 9:34:49 pm

I'll take a look at the Mavericks issues. But my computer is fine. After Effects and Premiere run flawlessly. This is my point. I'm getting the files I need out of Premiere, but not from AME. ProRes is fine. I think you're confusing the 4K limit with the limitations of FCP7.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Nov 12, 2014 at 11:56:11 pm

Mason,
If you can export 8K from Premiere Pro you should continue doing so. Since AME is struggling with this, feel free to file a bug: http://adobe.ly/ReportBug

My personal feeling is that if you continue to have trouble with exporting via OpenCL and your dual AMD GPUs in your 2013 Mac Pro, please have them looked at (and potentially replaced) by an Apple service center. A few other customers have done so and had success after doing so.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Support Product Manager—DVA
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Mason Makram
on Nov 13, 2014 at 10:53:50 pm

So, today I had some free time to finally experiment with OpenCL again. It worked flawlessly. No crashing this time. AME blasted through 1080p with no issues in the final file, and exporting 8640x1080 took about 6 minutes, similar to the export times of Premiere. Does Premiere use OpenCL?

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Nov 15, 2014 at 12:23:01 pm

[Mason Makram] "Does Premiere use OpenCL?"

Yes, assuming the GPU meets certain minimum requirements. Definitely yes, for the card in your system.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]