ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Graphics problem after Yosemite upgrade

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Jones
Graphics problem after Yosemite upgrade
on Nov 10, 2014 at 1:36:33 pm

I was wondering if anyone is experiencing graphics crashing after upgrading to Yosemite.
It seems to be particularly bad on Premiere Pro and Photoshop. Exactly the same is happening on my iMac and Macbook Pro so it isn't a problem with the hardware.
Here's an example image....

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
Re: Graphics problem after Yosemite upgrade
on Nov 10, 2014 at 4:07:59 pm

I've seen this too. Also seen it with multiple desktops open. Have not seen it when only PPro is running.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 10, 2014 at 4:53:54 pm

No help, but you're not alone... https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/3/960245

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Buddy Brett Ramker
on Nov 10, 2014 at 8:30:04 pm

I have seen some of these issues. After first upgrading, GPU offload via CUDA was not available and my CUDA panel said it was up to date. After digging a bit, I discovered that the CUDA did need an update and I did it manually. All that being said, I noticed some of the same issues with Mavericks. Usually when switching in and out of Premiere.

Hope this helps,

Brett

Return to posts index

Paul Jones
on Nov 10, 2014 at 9:59:25 pm

I also did the manual CUDA update on iMac and Macbook Pro and no difference.

Return to posts index

Andrew Johnstone
on Nov 11, 2014 at 10:46:26 am

OK so this is not helpful...but my rule of thumb, having been caught out a few times with Apple OS upgrades is..."Don't upgrade unless you really have to!"

I lost Photoshop for years when I did one system upgrade and PS3 was no longer supported. I am now using Adobe CS 6 and still using FCP7 (for BBC jobs) and both run fine on my current system. So even thought I am now two steps behind Yosemite...(I think I am on Snow Leopard still) I am not going to upgrade any time soon.

I have a plan to get a new MacBook Pro (to replace my steam driven machine that is now 8 years old - hey it still works geezers!) and I will test any software on that before blindly upgrading to the next OS.

The bottom line is if your OS is good enough for you to be able to deliver content to your clients' don;t mess with it. These people (Apple, Adobe & Chums) are just after your money and they do not care one bit about your workflow or your business. The truth is that the OS and the software have actually been good enough for years!

Andy Johnstone
Wild Dog Limited
film & multimedia production
http://www.wilddogworld.com

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Nov 11, 2014 at 6:27:12 pm

OK. So I'm getting some of this in Power Point this morning as I'm fixing them to drop into an edit. Premiere Pro (nor any other Adobe app) is not open.

Let's start pointing our efforts to Apple and Nvidia.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 11, 2014 at 6:33:38 pm

[Paul Neumann] "OK. So I'm getting some of this in Power Point this morning as I'm fixing them to drop into an edit. Premiere Pro (nor any other Adobe app) is not open.

Let's start pointing our efforts to Apple and Nvidia.
"

Interesting, I wonder if Pr and PP use any frameworks/drivers/etc. in common? All I know is that this does not happen at all when I run any other other NLE or video app. It pretty much always occurs after running Pr. Which sucks as I'm working in it now....

Return to posts index

Gregory David
on Nov 11, 2014 at 6:47:06 pm

I have the same issue. Worse, I lose video in the program monitor and often in the source monitor. The only thing that fixes it is to switch from Cuda to software only and back again, or a restart. Of course you loose your renders if you do this.

I am on a macbook pro early 2013 16gg ram - 11 given to Pr. I have just done a clean install to try to clear it up. The cuda driver is the most recent and privileges are correct.

I am unfortunately on Yosemite, but I was having very similar issues on the previous OS.

I think the issue is with the Cuda driver and the way Pr reads from the previews. Needless to say I am not a happy camper.

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Nov 11, 2014 at 7:49:22 pm
Last Edited By Paul Neumann on Nov 11, 2014 at 7:50:30 pm

I'm thinking I started seeing this with the last update of Mavericks (10.9.5?). I know that update broke the Keychain in some instances and sent my CPU to new heights until I unbound my network status.

Also on Early 2013 MBP/16gig.

Return to posts index

Paul Jones
on Nov 11, 2014 at 8:40:05 pm

I have more developments on this problem.
Today I had to fire up Final Cut Pro 7 to recut an old job (which surprisingly seemed to work perfectly with Yosemite)
I got the same graphics glitches, as I did with Quicktime X and iTunes.
So maybe it's not an Adobe problem after all??

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 11, 2014 at 8:42:14 pm

[Paul Jones] "I got the same graphics glitches, as I did with Quicktime X and iTunes.
So maybe it's not an Adobe problem after all??"

Had you run Pr at all prior to opening 7? Also... do we all have Nvidia GPU's? Maybe it's something in the GPU driver in the system? (not the CUDA driver)

Return to posts index

Paul Jones
on Nov 11, 2014 at 8:48:41 pm

I believe I did run Premiere before opening the other apps....and yes, my iMac and Macbook Pro both NVIDIA graphics

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 11, 2014 at 8:58:30 pm

[Paul Jones] "I believe I did run Premiere before opening the other apps....and yes, my iMac and Macbook Pro both NVIDIA graphics"

If you can, maybe try rebooting your computer and then running FCP 7 without running Pr first. I'm not pointing fingers, but it seems like Pr, or something modified in the OS it's trying to use, is the common denominator.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Nov 12, 2014 at 11:33:51 am

[Andrew Johnstone] ""Don't upgrade unless you really have to!""

Agreed. I've been of the opinion that the last few Apple OS's haven't really added a whole lot in the way of features, but that's probably a 'whole nuther' forum'...

My STRONG recommendation is that users who are moving to a new OS, START FRESH and do a CLEAN INSTALL. Gone are the days when a casual upgrade would just work. There are millions of bits in an OS and the chance to mess a few of those up is probably pretty high.

Yes, it's a pain and I know because I've done my own clean installs many times - from about 10.2 onward. It does make for a better, faster, more stable machine.

My 2 cents,
Dennis

Return to posts index

Douglas Morse
Re: Graphics problem after Yosemite upgrade SOLUTION?!
on Nov 17, 2014 at 3:24:49 pm
Last Edited By Douglas Morse on Nov 17, 2014 at 3:27:42 pm

Try these 4 options:

1. Upgrade your CUDA drivers

http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html

2. Upgrade to Nvidia web driver. This thread on Macrumors USUALLY has up to date information and instructions http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1748213&page=3 Often someone will post a link to a modded file that will skip the system compatibility check and allow you to use it. If not, you need to do it manually. Easy actually.

you need to download the driver here http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/78853?ClickID=ayzyywk50wa...

Copy the package to your desktop

Expand the .pkg From TERMINAL:

pkgutil --expand ~/Desktop/WebDriver-WebDriver-343.01.01f01 ~/Desktop/WebDriver
use text edit on ~/Desktop/WebDriver/Distribution
file on the line which contains the code

var found_hardware = 0
change to
var found_hardware = 1
(use the find command to find the line you need easily. Then save of course)

Delete old .pkg then run this command:

From Terminal
pkgutil --flatten ~/Desktop/WebDriver ~/Desktop/WebDriver-343.01.01f01.pkg

* If the web driver number changes to a newer version, you'll need to change these references approriately.

Then of course double click on the file. It may not let you install it without another step. Open up system preferences security and there will be a box that says 'install anyway'

3. Also install GFX Card status and keep you computer from switching graphics cards (you can also do this is the system control panel as well) https://gfx.io Go all nvidia dgpu when you are editing. Or if you are still experiencing problems, switch to integrated only until apple releases a fix.

4. SMC fan control is a nice little utility as well. Crank up the fans http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23049/smcfancontrol and get some sweet Sony 7510s http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/758126-REG/Sony_MDR_7510_MDR_7510_Pro...

Return to posts index

Paul Jones
on Nov 20, 2014 at 5:52:42 pm

I managed to upgrade the CUDA drivers but not the NVIDIA web drivers.
It said not valid for this system...I also tried via the terminal but it was having none of it.
Also there is a bit of an update on this.
Today I have been working on Premiere Pro all day, everything was fine until I opened Photoshop (see photo attached)
I closed Photoshop and carried on working in PP as normal.
TBC....

Return to posts index

Douglas Morse
on Nov 21, 2014 at 11:26:14 am

The web drivers need to be modified as outlined in the Macrumors forum thread. For every minor update of Mac OSX, there is a new web driver released. It's actually quite easy once you get the hang of it. I'm running without graphics glitches so far (fingers crossed)

Return to posts index

Michael Belanger
on Apr 15, 2016 at 12:37:49 pm

Yes indeed... if it ain't broke don't fix it. But unfortunately the powers that be really force you to upgrade because some software simply won't run on older OS. The original days of editing meant ONE company supplied you with a complete solution but these days you are relying on a number of companies and they don't always talk to one another.
Bottom line, if you got a working system then use that unless there is some pressing need to change. FCP 7 was quite reliable and Premiere in software only mode for mercury playback is supposedly rock solid. The issue seems to be the handshake to the cards and once that is corrupted it buggers the whole system. I am guessing some sort of memory issue that pushes the card to the limit in premiere and then once it is confused it carries onto the glichiness in the day to day system.

M Belanger
Dandelion Picture and Sound

Return to posts index

Dax Roggio
on Nov 23, 2014 at 6:43:50 pm
Last Edited By Dax Roggio on Nov 23, 2014 at 8:25:19 pm

I have been experiencing the same problem with my MacBook Pro (Late 2013, NVIDIA GT 750M, OS X 10.10.1). I have the latest CUDA driver installed through the control panel. After trying many troubleshooting options, I have been unable to find a solution. However, I have discovered some patterns that may shed some light on the source of the problem.

The funky display craziness affects all apps, but it only occurs after I have been running Premiere (CC 2014.1) or while Premiere is running.

More specifically, the problem only occurs if I have been working on a project that has Renderer set to CUDA (Project Settings > General > Video Rendering and Playback).

If I use OpenCL, the problem never starts.

So one solution for me personally would be to stick with OpenCL, which used to work just fine. However, OpenCL rendering in Premiere has stopped working properly for me for clips that have motion stabilization applied. Rendered clips come out with big black blocks. This is true for preview files within Premiere or when exporting through AME with OpenCL enabled. I don’t know if that issue is related to the CUDA problem or not. It did seem to start around the time I upgraded to Yosemite.

So the solution to original problem was to switch to CUDA, but that has led me to the problem described in this thread.

In summary, the issue is clearly related to CUDA, and it seems that the problem began for most people after upgrading to Yosemite. Premiere is clearly a culprit, although it’s the only app I run that actually uses CUDA. So it’s difficult to say whether it’s a Premiere problem or CUDA in general.

Turning Automatic graphics switching on or off doesn’t seem to have any bearing on the problem.

Lastly, I only installed the CUDA driver in the first place to run DaVinci Resolve, which won’t launch without it, even though it can use OpenCL. I tried uninstalling CUDA, but the OpenCL rendering issue remained. So I had to re-install it.

At this point, I’m hoping to see an update to either the CUDA driver, OS X, or Premiere Pro that addresses the issue. It would be nice to know if any of them were working on a solution.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 23, 2014 at 8:20:52 pm

[Dax Roggio] "More specifically, the problem only occurs if I have been working on a project that has Renderer set to CUDA (Project Settings > General > Video Rendering and Playback).

If I use OpenCL, the problem never start"

I can confirm this as well. As PrCC isn't my main axe, so to speak, I haven't seen the stabilization rendering issues you note, but I'll keep an eye out... :-)

Return to posts index

Gregory David
on Nov 24, 2014 at 7:59:39 pm

These issues have been driving me crazy. Won't bore with all the crap and just cut to the chase. I removed the CUDA driver: Cuda com.nvidia.cuda.launcher.plist (LaunchDaemons) and com.nvidia.CUDASoftwareUpdate (LaunchAgents) AND.. ISSUES GONE - both dropping of video, which was the worst one and all the graphics garbage. I have just done a successful export using OpenCL. I don't know whats going on here or what to do to get reasonable performance back on my early 2013 macbook pro 2.7ghz with 16meg ram, but this clearly isolates the problem and gives me a way to work. Good luck to you!

Return to posts index

Jose Miguel Jimenez
on Dec 5, 2014 at 11:52:12 am

100% related to CUDA in my experience. After reading this thread I uninstalled CUDA (which is almost a challenge to achieve!) and haven't had any issue in the last 24hrs at least. Before uninstalling CUDA I was getting the weird screen patters, PPro crashing all the time, Kernel panics on a permanent basis - Macbook Pro crashing and restarting... and (this is a weird one, to me at least) using my Wacom Intuos would mess up with the Macbook's trackpad - as in, it would get unresponsive: not right clicking with 2 fingers, not popping up the hidden Dock even when draggin the cursor to the bottom of the screen, etc. Since uninstalling CUDA it hasn't happened again...???

I just joined Creative Cow to thank you for this thread. I was in agony! So: thanks!

Return to posts index

Gregory David
on Dec 5, 2014 at 1:32:10 pm

Great that out experience is shortening other editors path to being able to work. I encourage anybody who has had these issues, has removed CUDA from their system and is now problem free, to post their experience. We need this sorted out. I wan't the speed the CUDA gives me!

Return to posts index

Jose Miguel Jimenez
on Dec 8, 2014 at 1:17:47 pm

Hi,

Anyone have any new experiences/ updates on this?

I don't know if this is connected but just in case: if I verify my permissions I always get this

User differs on “private/var/db/displaypolicyd”; should be 0; user is 244.
Group differs on “private/var/db/displaypolicyd”; should be 0; group is 244.

I obviously repair them and I suppose then it;s all ok, but only until a restart. Every time I verify permissions after restarting i get that message. Again dunno if it;s connected but...

Return to posts index

Kevin Balling
on Jan 6, 2015 at 5:22:40 pm
Last Edited By Kevin Balling on Jan 27, 2015 at 12:19:33 pm

I have been getting this same problem intermittently with Premiere Pro CC. I am on a late 2012 iMAC,
3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1024 MB

I am on Mountain Lion, so it is not an isolated Yosemite problem. I use OpenCL, not CUDA because I found many other unrelated problems CUDA, so I uninstalled it. The new Premiere CC update installed CUDA as part of the update. I tried it. Same problem. The problem usually presents itself when Premiere Pro is dealing with Text plus effects, or doing something that is a bit complicated. A long export sometimes causes it, and always when the export has clips with Red Giant Denoiser. Sometimes the system freezes and I need to shut down. Other times I just close out of Premiere. The glitches remain on the screen even after I close out of Premiere Pro and will dissipate if i just let the computer sit for awhile or restart.

Kevin Balling
Tin Roof Video
http://www.tinroofvideo.com

Return to posts index

Craig Ricker
on Jan 27, 2015 at 1:13:59 am

Have 3 Mac Pro's at work, upgraded them all to yosemite just before the Christmas break. Come back to work, and we are all experiencing constant freezing and crashing of our Mac Pro's, which causes a complete freeze, followed by a restart, and a pop up saying 'Graphics problem detected'.

Most often happens when were using the GPU in premiere pro, or during a render/export from either after effects or premiere.

I have glitches on my screen all the time as well, especially when using hot spaces.

There is clearly some serious bug in yosemite in regards to GPU.

Very painful, and seriously considering now restoring the Mac's back to snow leopard, where we were completely glitch free, and I could boast the reliability of our Mac's....

Mac Pro 2.4Ghz 8 core, 24GB RAM, GTX 670

Return to posts index

Paul Jones
on Jan 27, 2015 at 10:11:45 am

Over 2 months later and people are still complaining about this...including myself.
Clearly nothing is being done about this!

Return to posts index

Craig Ricker
on Feb 16, 2015 at 10:26:45 pm

Not sure about you guys. But the problem has now cleared, since Apple released 10.10.2 combined with the latest cuda driver 6.5.46

I no longer have any crashes or graphics glitching and its been this way now for over 2 weeks.

Hope the rest of you have as much luck

Mac Pro 2.4Ghz 8 core, 24GB RAM, GTX 670

Return to posts index

Nabil Majid
on Feb 18, 2015 at 3:01:07 pm

I use to have the same problem, but I've download manual the CUDA 6.5.46 and fix the problem, thanks god!!!

Return to posts index

Paul Jones
on Feb 18, 2015 at 5:32:18 pm

Sadly mine is still the same even after all the updates

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
on Feb 18, 2015 at 5:43:28 pm
Last Edited By Peter Garaway on Feb 18, 2015 at 5:44:18 pm

Hi Guys,

There is another thread discussing this issue here.

In case you haven't seen it I wanted to share it with you in hopes that there will be some helpful information.

Best,

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Feb 18, 2015 at 6:35:19 pm

[Paul Jones] "Sadly mine is still the same even after all the updates"

Same here. I'd be happy to blame the OS, Nvidia, or other apps etc, but this only happens when I run Pr. If it's running on it's own, it may take some time to appear, with other video apps running it happens fairly quickly. It probably is a CUDA thing, or dual monitors, or something, but only Pr sets it off...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]