ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

How can I import or convert single MTS files into Premiere Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Troy Smith
How can I import or convert single MTS files into Premiere Pro
on Oct 13, 2014 at 1:13:54 pm

I am a high school film teacher, and we use Panasonic HMC-40's for our new students that shoot AVCHD. Last year, we used Mac OS 10.7.5 and Final Cut Pro 7. We would hook the cam up and "log and transfer" just the clips we needed as ProRes422 into FCP. In that OS, I could open up the camera as a hard drive and see individual MTS files.

This year, we are using Premiere Pro and have new macs running OS 10.9.5. When I open up the camera as a hard drive on these macs, they no longer display MTS files, but one AVCHD file that represents all of the clips. Since more than one student uses these cameras on any given day, students either have to download the whole AVCHD file (with everyone else's clips on it, too) or open up the AVCHD file, play a clip in Quicktime, and then individually save each one.

I am looking for a cleaner simpler solution. Does Premiere have a way to "log and transfer" individual clips from the large AVCHD file? Can it convert to ProRes422 in a simple way? Sorry, I haven't worked on premiere in 15 years. FYI, it is not conducive to have the students upload and then delete their files after uploading for numerous logistical reasons. Thanks.

Troy Smith
Imminent Entertainment LLC
Education for the Arts
Vicksburg High School

Return to posts index

Daniel Tyukodi
Re: How can I import or convert single MTS files into Premiere Pro
on Oct 13, 2014 at 1:34:48 pm

Maybe the students should use a reference shot.ex: bars and tones functions in the camera so it would be easier to see the change of user.knowing the number of students using the camera you could just count the number of bars and tones to get to the wanted clips.
Use P2 Viewer plus to view the clips.So you see the name of the clips you want to copy.use adobe media encoder for converting multiple files.

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Oct 13, 2014 at 3:08:05 pm

Hiya...

In Premiere Pro, there is a panel called the Media Browser.

This is PPro's way of interpreting all the different file based media sources out there.

if you navigate to the location of the MTS….

you will see all the clips in the MTS.

Good news is no transcoding….

you can just drag them in and go to work. (this assumes you have already copied the ftg to your hard drive and aren't working off the camera directly).

hth,

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Oct 13, 2014 at 3:16:50 pm

And you can open the main AVCHD file in Prelude, pick the takes you want and transfer them (no transcoding) to another location for different students/projects. Prelude will rebuild the AVCHD file structure with just those selects. Very convenient for organizing different shoots from the same hard drive/camera in this format.

Return to posts index

Laurence Bartone
on Oct 13, 2014 at 10:02:48 pm

You can also use Silent Sifter to do this very neatly. Free trial (500 clips) and the program's nineteen bucks.

bartone.com

Return to posts index

Joseph Overvliet
on Oct 14, 2014 at 11:08:50 pm

Its a shit change to AVCHD isnt it mate? We use AVCHD at work and have to back everything up. Pro tip, you can right click on the avchd file, and click show contents, then do the same for the next one, and you should find your stream folder with all the .mts files.

You dont need any silly software to do it, finder can get into the AVCHD file by itself, and alot quicker than any of those programs will.

Good luck

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Oct 15, 2014 at 3:49:16 am

Just use Prelude. Open the AVCHD file and see all the clips displayed for use.

Return to posts index

Isaac Brillant
on Feb 2, 2016 at 2:36:52 pm

Old post but-- This "show package contents" method is OK for just viewing the MTS files, but if you import it directly from here, or delete any files from here, or move any files around, Premier will run into trouble reading the file. Especially if a clip spans 2 or more files. In some cases you will get duplicate files, and the audio will not be in sync. The best way is to import it through the Media Browser to avoid serious trouble later on.

Return to posts index

Isaac Brillant
on Mar 13, 2016 at 2:43:16 pm

Old post but--

Does this mean that you can open the AVCHD package, remove the individual MTS files from the stream folder, RENAME them, and then if you bring them into Prelude, Prelude will recreate a new folder structure that PPro can work with?

And what will happen with spanned clips in this scenario?

And if so, can you do this in CS6 or only CC versions?

thanks!

Return to posts index

Jane Kong
on Mar 4, 2015 at 7:07:20 am

Old thread , but still , did you figure out your problem now? If you want to load your MTS files into PP, then did the latest version support? I am not sure about that because personally I use FCP. But If you work on mac system, then you can try to convert your avhchd into mpeg if you want to load them into PP.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]