ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

PP CC 2014 - adjustment layers flickering problem

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grzegorz Kwiatkowski
PP CC 2014 - adjustment layers flickering problem
on Sep 22, 2014 at 5:43:58 am

There is a huge bug in Adobe Premiere CC 2014. When I put adjustment layer with an effect like broadcast colors, levels or Magic Bullet Looks, the video gets an awful flickering. It happens when rendering larger sequence.

I hope it will get fixed.

Have you experienced this so far?

Return to posts index

Jim Schmidt
Re: PP CC 2014 - adjustment layers flickering problem
on Oct 10, 2014 at 11:41:59 pm

I've got the same issue - I have Fast Color Corrector and Three-Way Color Corrector applied to many clips throughout the sequence. It plays fine in the project, but there's annoying flickering when rendered.

I'm rendering h.264.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Return to posts index

Grzegorz Kwiatkowski
on Nov 20, 2014 at 9:36:04 pm

Jim have you managed to fix the problem with flickering? I am still struggling with it in our company. Horrible issue which slows down our workflow too much.

Return to posts index

stephane lefort
on Nov 21, 2014 at 9:43:57 am
Last Edited By stephane lefort on Nov 27, 2014 at 9:10:45 am

I have a premiere project with adjustment layer and effects applied on it. I've made several exports without pb until yesterday : i tweak and add some effect and since i can see this horrible flickering.. I reboot, erase layer.. but now, if i have an adjustment layer with any effect, flickering is here....not possible to work with a pb like that, anyone have found a solution ? an explanation ? thanks

Return to posts index

Grzegorz Kwiatkowski
on Nov 22, 2014 at 12:54:48 pm

No explanation, no solution so far. Adobe is just adding more and more features but they should fix these bugs in the first line!

Return to posts index

stephane lefort
on Nov 27, 2014 at 9:16:57 am

i've asked several friend who use adobe cc 2014 and a lot of adjustement layers on documentaries without any problem.. so I d'ont understand, could it be a hardware pb ? ram ? cg ? did you try to test your project with pb on an other computer ? I will try to open mine on both pc and apple, several config.. i work on pc 3930k, 32Go ram, geforce gtx 560 ti.

Return to posts index

Grzegorz Kwiatkowski
on Nov 27, 2014 at 11:47:27 am

Stephane,

I am having this issue on every computer in my company. What is worth mentioning we have Magic Bullet installed on them. Maybe this is the cause of all of this. Do you have Mabic Bullet installed?

Return to posts index

stephane lefort
on Dec 2, 2014 at 1:57:52 pm

yes MB is installed, but i've tried without magic bullet and same pb occurs. Today i'v moved the pproj on an other computer (mac this time) and export is fine... do you have only pc ? what is your workflow with this pb ?

Return to posts index

Ahmad Ataya
on Dec 3, 2014 at 7:46:32 pm

Be sure to update MB to 2.5.3

Return to posts index

stephane lefort
on Dec 4, 2014 at 7:51:21 pm

I've seen the problem on a windows computer without MB installed.. Both computer are windows 7 64, not tested on windows 8... Many friend never saw this problem on windows machine with cc 2014, so where it come from ? It must be an explanation of what causes this.

2 configs with pb :
I5 750, Gigabyte motherboard, GTS 250, 8 Go ram ddr 1333, no other plugins installed
3930K, Gigabyte motherboard(X79), GTX 560Ti, 32 Go ddr 1800.

Return to posts index

Ahmad Ataya
on Dec 5, 2014 at 12:26:14 pm
Last Edited By Ahmad Ataya on Dec 5, 2014 at 1:33:03 pm

I never faced this problem before,
MB has a lot of problems before 2.5.3 update, as crashing CC 2014,
But it gives you this flickering problem when using any effect,
I just tried it on my windows computer and there is nothing wrong with it,
Windows 8.1, NVIDIA 4000 Quadro,
As I can understand it's not a hardware failure since the problem came only caused when you render the project, so you can do several things, and I hope it works for you.
Clean PP media cache database
Check sequence setting as it should be matching your footage at least field settings. (Frame options and select non flicker if that isn't the default option)
Try to use different effects, choose one of accelerated effects or a regular one, and try to see any difference between them
Try to apply these effects on several footage of different codecs as well.
Uninstall QuickTime, reboot your device, install it again and try.
If you have k-lite codecs installed just uninstall it.
Apply these effects on native codecs.
Try to render it using different codecs.
Turning GPU off could be helpful
This could sort this problem to understand what it stands for.

Return to posts index

David Blacher
on Dec 8, 2014 at 8:57:23 pm

Hi,

I'm also facing this problem.. I'm not a very experianced PP user and therefore a bit frustrated.
I don't have MB installed. Following Ahmad's advice I already cleaned the PP media cache database. My sequence settings match my footage. I didn't find the "Frame options and select non flicker if that isn't the default option" mentioned, though.

Have you found a solution for the problem already? Thanks for any help :)

Return to posts index

Ahmad Ataya
on Dec 9, 2014 at 2:59:55 pm

Hi
If you click on the clip you will find the option field options
I's just happened to me on one of my computers, from the plugin mask option i just made a full mask that cover the video, and after that my render was ok, i'm not sure why, maybe it's a bug, but it works for me.

Return to posts index

Oaken Beeson
on Dec 11, 2014 at 5:19:48 pm

I have the same issue and have for about a month now. I'm a registered Adobe ACE in Premiere Pro and I still can't figure it out. It's almost random, sometimes it happens and sometimes under the same circumstances it disappears. Sometimes it's in my timeline and sometimes only in the render, and then sometimes in the render but not the timeline. It's cray annoying. I called Adobe yesterday and they actually hung up on me! I was even being nice lol.

But so far it's definitely any coloring or image effects on an adjustment layer. Once I turn that off and move coloring to individual clips then I have a 75% chance of it rendering correctly.

I've updated everything including graphics cards, tried different computers and it still happened, tested RAM and hard disk, uninstalled and reinstalled Premiere CC2014, you name it I've done it. Seems like the issue is here to stay until Adobe magically fixes it with the next update. Very un cool.

Return to posts index

Camille Durand
on Feb 11, 2015 at 12:14:39 am

Hi, I am also a video editor and moved on Premiere CC about 4 months ago from fcp7, and have experienced a lot of bugs, as well recently.
I am currently cutting a piece with some raw Alexa ftg and i am using a adjustment layer on the Alexa clip for a quick pre color correction look (instead of using a LUT) (auto levels and curves effects) and I am seeing the whole effect going on and off while playing the sequence and then while rendering it as well.
I also had a really bad color bending pb when trying to use a simple fade in from black fx on those raw Alexa files that are under the adjustment layer. I had to put the same fade in fx on the adjustment layer to fix it.
An other black flicker also happened when I had two layered clip fading out and the fades out where off by 1 frame from each other... When the fades are identical, no issues. So annoying.
I noticed a lot issues started happening when I render my sequence and then modify render clips. Premiere seems to have pb to use that render after the fact.
Any new clues on this?
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Grzegorz Kwiatkowski
on Feb 11, 2015 at 8:33:31 pm

Do you have Magic Bullet installed? What are your PC specs? I am trying to figure out the root cause of this frustrating problem.

Return to posts index

Camille Durand
on Feb 11, 2015 at 10:12:27 pm

I am on Mac Pro tour 2x2.66 Ghz 6cores Intel xeon with 48 go of ram and NVIDIA quatro 4000 2048mb graphics card
Os X 10.9.5
And I don't have magic bullet

Return to posts index

Clover Carroll
on Feb 18, 2015 at 9:57:09 pm

Encountered the same issue today. I am running Magic Bullet. I had a look on an adjustment layer. The flicker was only on one or two clips so I just cut the adjustment layer out above those two clips and added the look to the two clips themselves. It looks like that is one fix. Both clips had the warp stabilizer effect on. It seemed to exacerbate the issue, but now that I've cut the adjustment layer out over those two clips no more flicker

Clover Carroll
New Story Media
http://www.newstorymedia.com

Return to posts index

Cristina Baciu
on Jan 11, 2016 at 8:10:38 pm

I did the same and solved the problem!
I had an adjustment layer with Brightness & Contrast blended with the video track wich had much more effects (MagicBullet Looks, Lumetri color, Warp stabilizer, etc.) and in some cases some masks.
I've almost panicked since I've workded all day at this color correction and my director was expecting a sample.
Worked just fine after I selected Remove flicker.
Thank you so much!

P.S.: I have Premiere CC 2015 on Mac 15' Retina Display

Return to posts index

José Luis Quintanilla
on Mar 5, 2015 at 9:09:29 pm

Hello!

I have the same problem and I just fix it right now!

When I use Colorista II on Premiere CC2014, all clips under the adjustment layer that contains this plugin are showing flickering.

I was testing with various settings, and I was lucky! Disabling "opacity animation" option (clicking over clock icon) under Opacity section fix the problem :D

I hope it works for all of you.

Regards!

Return to posts index

Grzegorz Kwiatkowski
on Mar 6, 2015 at 11:25:14 am

Jose,

do you turn off the clock icon ON the adjustment layer with Colorista or on the clips UNDER the adjustment layer?

Return to posts index

José Luis Quintanilla
on Mar 6, 2015 at 12:23:20 pm

I turn off the clock icon ON the adjustment layer with Colorista; but a few minutes from have posted this possible solution, I discovered that various clips are flickering yet. This occurs too when I add Colorista effect on a sequence that contains the other sequence to edit color. :(

Return to posts index

Rob Viscardis
on Mar 24, 2015 at 8:40:43 pm

I am getting this issue on two machines. One running Magic Bullet, the other not. Tried moving the effects from the adjustment layer to the clip, applying a mask, rendering native and compressed, changing sequence settings, importing sequence into new project, sending to speedgrade, and it still won't go away. So annoying!

Return to posts index

Matías Cibanik
on May 7, 2015 at 2:45:12 pm

I'm having the same issue. I have installed magic bullet on premiere cc 2014 and trying to export a one hour film that was shoot with differents cameras. I had to turn off the plugin and make the corrections with tridirectional color tool for make the flickering dissapear. Anyone has found what is the problem?

Return to posts index

Adam Banks
on Jun 23, 2015 at 4:20:16 pm
Last Edited By Adam Banks on Jun 23, 2015 at 7:09:46 pm

Just started working with Premiere CC 2015 and got this same problem. Random flickering, like the Adjustment Layer's effects are dropping out in certain frames. I've tried turning options on and off, makes no difference. Will keep trying but it seems crazy that this has been happening for so long without being fixed - makes it a gamble to use Adjustment Layers at all.

EDIT: I tried moving the fx from the Adjustment Layer to the clip itself and it didn't help. So the Adjustment Layer wasn't the problem after all. Turned out to be Auto Color that was causing the flicker, used in conjunction with other fx.

I'd thought twice about using Auto Color because of the obvious problem in something that analyses each frame and adjusts accordingly, when what you want is the same adjustment applied through the clip (or sequence). To address this, Auto Color has a Temporal Smoothing option that spreads the analysis over multiple frames. Don't try setting this to the length of the whole clip: when I tried 5 seconds the preview render estimated several hours to complete, on a clip barely more than 5 seconds long in total. Crazy.

Anyway, when I set it to half a second it fixed the problem (slowly). But I think the moral is don't use Auto Color. The only direct way I can find to achieve the same effect is to manually adjust the white and black points for each RGB channel individually in a Levels fx. The UI for this is horrible, and there's no option to set the sliders automatically based on the current frame in the scope, which surely would be trivial. It would be great if you could do that, actually, because then you'd have the speed and pop of Auto Color with the facility to tweak, rather than overlaying other fx to get the resulting colour to where you want it.

If I'm missing an obvious better quick way to fix clips where the RGB parade is off kilter, advice welcome. I generally fix black and white points using Fast Color Correct but there's no way to separate the channels.

Return to posts index

Matías Cibanik
on Jun 23, 2015 at 5:53:55 pm

I find a solution.
I exported the whole film without the effects (not only unchecked, all the clips clean) in the final format i wanted. Then imported the Clip and i cutted it to separete scenes and just then u apply the magic looks.
Hope this work for you.

Return to posts index

fidel Echeverria
on Aug 14, 2015 at 2:34:56 pm

Hi!
My solution was to apply de anti flickering filter (movement section inside de clip effects panel)with a value between 0.10 and 0.30.this wasenought to get the flickering out without makeing images blurry. Any way, some people pointed Auto shoulder as problem cause.

Return to posts index

Stephen Henderson
on Aug 14, 2015 at 2:48:07 pm

I've had a similar issue with the Red Giant Universe: Finisher effect, especially when it's on adjustment layers.

Return to posts index

Dian Zagorchinov
on Feb 5, 2016 at 11:56:31 am

Struggled with this for a week until managed to solve it by clearing all Media cache, Previews and setting "Use Maximum Bitrate" in the sequence settings.

Using Magic Bullet Looks 3.0, tested on both PP 2014 and 2015 (Win 8) gave the flickering on long exports.

Return to posts index

Thomas Brecheisen
on May 27, 2017 at 7:12:48 am

MY FIX (ie. workaround):
I simply added my sequence (with the adjustment layer on top) into a nested composition. It seems the issue is when the actual adjustment layer is on top. The nested sequence doesn't have the adjustment layer on top (it's embedded in the nested clip on the timeline) and the problem doesn't exist for me anymore.

I know it's not a fix, but a workaround. I hope this helps someone.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]