ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

"Error Compiling Movie. Unknown Error"

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JP Pelc
"Error Compiling Movie. Unknown Error"
on Jul 31, 2014 at 9:06:11 pm

I am facing a serious problem here. I have submitted a bug report to Adobe but I would love to get some input from the community. No matter what I do, I cannot get Premiere to render in any sort of way. If I hit render in the timeline I get the popup "Error Compiling Movie. Unknown Error." When I export I get the same error, regardless of export settings, regardless of direct export or through Media Encoder, regardless of sequence settings, and regardless of GPU acceleration settings. I have also tried cleaning the media cache database, changing RAM allocation settings, and of course restarting the machine. This is happening to both myself and my coworker, on different projects and different machines. This is happened with varying frequency since installing CC 2014.

Obviously this is a crippling problem as nothing can be exported whatsoever. Every now and then it works for a few minutes, which is when we manage to pump out our necessary exports. Then it fails again. HELP!!

My machine:
Premiere Pro CC 2014 8.0.1 (21)
iMac 27" Late 2012
Mac OSX 10.8.5
3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: "Error Compiling Movie. Unknown Error"
on Jul 31, 2014 at 9:07:43 pm

That happened to us in the past when we tried to render a larger than 2GB file to the shared storage drives. It's been fixed since CC came out though. But try rendering the file to an internal drive and see if it works.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

JP Pelc
on Aug 1, 2014 at 1:29:37 pm

The file should be much smaller than 2GB, close to 150 MB as it's a short video for web. I tried exporting to desktop as well as shortening the file name (as I seem to have had a few issues in the past exporting with long file names). No luck.

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Aug 1, 2014 at 3:14:52 pm

Usually means there is some piece of media in your timeline premiere doesn't like. MXF files cause this a lot.

Robert Brown
Editor/VFX/Colorist - FCP, Smoke, Quantel Pablo, After Effects, 3DS MAX, Premiere Pro

http://vimeo.com/user3987510/videos

Return to posts index

erika brekke
on Aug 11, 2014 at 8:23:50 pm

Was this ever resolved? I'm facing the same issue.

Help!

Return to posts index

JP Pelc
on Aug 11, 2014 at 9:20:49 pm

Nope :/

Like I said, every now and then I could get it to work. It seemed to happen when I would try a direct export using Quicktime with SV3 compression. But even that barely worked, so I ended up taking the whole project into Premiere CC via XML. No more CC2014 until this and other issues are resolved. Are you on a Mac or PC?

Return to posts index

erika brekke
on Aug 11, 2014 at 9:22:12 pm

I'm on a Mac. I just tried using a preset (iPod 320x240) rather than customizing my own setting. The first file worked fine... Working on the 2nd one now. We'll see...

Return to posts index

JP Pelc
on Aug 13, 2014 at 3:22:33 pm

Success? 320x240 is definitely way too small for me to use but maybe sticking with a preset will cause it to work?

Return to posts index

erika brekke
on Aug 13, 2014 at 9:50:04 pm

Yes, the preset totally worked like a charm. Premiere was just not having it when I tried to set up a custom setting.

Return to posts index

JP Pelc
on Aug 14, 2014 at 2:01:02 pm

FWIW to anyone who may come across this, the presets didn't help me at all

Return to posts index

Jimi Lund
on Oct 23, 2014 at 11:35:06 am

I also had this issue when trying to export a 4 minute long sequence, of Pro Res HQ footage. Trying to export to an mp4 file of about 200mb size.

After various attempts, what solved it was one, or all of 3 things I did at the same time: exported to the internal drive of my machine (with lots of space on it), changed my sequence settings to Pro Res HQ, and lastly (and I think this is what fixed it) in my Preferences, in Memory, changed to "optimize rendering for MEMORY".

There's a checklist of things to check on Adobe's site when you get this error: http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/error-compiling-movie-rendering-or.h...

Hope that helps

Jimi
Cut and Splice Productions

Return to posts index

Adrian Tan
on Jan 13, 2015 at 10:07:25 am

I just had the "Unknown error" message...

Basically, I had a series of photos with a dissolve at the start of the first photo. I nested the sequence (because the photos were all on separate tracks), then added another dissolve to the nest, and Premiere didn't like that one bit. (Why did I add an additional dissolve? No good reason. Just forgot that there was already one there.)

Removed the dissolve and all was fine.

I doubt if that would have helped the original poster, but anyway...

Return to posts index

Mahad Sajid
on Mar 15, 2015 at 5:07:47 am

YOU JUST DID! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Return to posts index

Brett Clark
on Aug 9, 2016 at 2:25:02 pm

This is still a huge problem. It does tend to be specific to random files, but they are not solely mxf files...in my case it was a proRes file. BUT I did find an easy solution. Use Final Cut Pro X and worked like a charm. How bout them beans adobe!

Return to posts index

Saad Rabia
on Apr 30, 2015 at 9:10:09 am

In case someone is looking for a solution here is what was wrong in my case:

Go to "Sequence Settings" and make sure that the "Editing Mode" hasn't changed to something random, especially if you are editing DSLR footage, make sure to match it by selecting "DSLR" for DSLR videos, as an example.

In my case, the sequence changed to ARRI on its own!

All is good now and good luck to everyone! :)

Return to posts index

Jake Cauty
on Jun 20, 2015 at 12:24:15 am

Same problem. May have a fix. Its exporting. I've got a timeline of MXF files, pngs, .movs and some other stuff. Premiere hates it. Plays fine, just won't render or export. Tried pro res, h264, match seq settings, blah blah blah...

Exporting as MPEG2. MXF seems to like Mpeg 2. The only other thing I can think of is a horrible solution which is to bring all your clips through XDCam transfer or something similar to cover them to .mov. Something like that.

Anyway...try this.. Unknown error isn't very helpful, cheers Adobe. Good luck

Return to posts index

Stacey Quine
on Jul 22, 2015 at 1:40:53 am

I have been having the same issue. It's a long sequence with loads of different types of media that I am trying to export. I tried everything. Cleared cache, consolidated project, moved project from hard drive to computer, different export settings, in Premiere and in Encoder, etc.

I FINALLY tried unnesting a clip. It was a clip with a warp stabiliser effect on it. It worked. I noticed that it kept having an error in the same place (though there were a few outliers that threw me off). The clip had some diagonal lines at the end where the nested sequence isn't as long as the clip in the main sequence (I had some media overlaid in the track above and didn't notice), and I am yet to retest it with the clip properly trimmed, but Nesting seems to be a common cause, judging by previous responses. This is frustrating, because the nature of my work means I am constantly using nested sequences in my work, and I wish they were more stable. Would have helped if the error message was a bit more informative!

Return to posts index

ben special
on Sep 26, 2015 at 1:20:22 pm

I was having the same issue and nothing here would fix it. I tried importing the project into a new file and that fixed it but I noticed something. IF YOUR FILE NAME HAS A CHARACTER IN IT THEN IT WILL ALWAYS GET THE ERROR FOR RENDERING OR EXPORT. This saved me maybe it will save you too.

Return to posts index

Joshua Moss-O'Brien
on Oct 14, 2015 at 11:57:37 am

Hi Ben

when you say:
IF YOUR FILE NAME HAS A CHARACTER IN IT THEN IT WILL ALWAYS GET THE ERROR FOR RENDERING OR EXPORT.

do you mean numerical characters:
12345ect..

or Symbol Characters:
@$%^&*ect..

Thanks
Josh

"A photograph is usually looked at - seldom looked into."
Ansel Adams

Return to posts index

Anass El Issmaeli
on Oct 27, 2015 at 6:23:53 pm

Hi, I think it's too late, but I wanted to share my experience for future readers.
I faced the same problem, whenever I hit Render, either to export or to render effects in the TL, the message " Error Compiling " pops.

I had a terrible and dying Hard Drive where I was putting Adobe scratch files, and another slow and full Hard Drive for my footage, I was always procrastinating to change them, but when the problem persisted and became unbearable and when I found no clue over internet, I changed my Hard Drives et voilà ! Everything is working fine now.

I have an 128 SSD for the scratch files, 256 SSD for my software files, and 2*2TO HDD for my files.

I hope that this will be in any help for people facing this frustrating problem. Sorry for my little English though.

Return to posts index

Paul Stretton
on Dec 12, 2015 at 5:30:58 pm

Same here. Fixed it this way....

Pre render the entire work area in your timeline. When you get the Error message, look at the timeline where the green render bar stopped - the clip next is the culprit (with yellow or red bar).

To test, deactivate the clip and render again - should work.

In my case it was the warp stabiliser causing the issue - God knows why as there were loads more like it on the timeline, just this one Premiere took exception to!

I removed the effect and boom - fixed.

Hope this helps!

Return to posts index

Mert Bengisu
on Jan 11, 2016 at 11:52:19 pm

Well I've just registered to post this, so it may help someone out there one day.

After losing tons of time and valuable life energy on the famous unknown error during encoding process, I've realized that premiere was generating a blank (black) frame on some clips that I've applied Warp Stabilization.

This had never happened before on any other projects before, and I truly did not have the energy to find out why.

But! It was easily fixed by simply trimming the clip by a frame or two, getting rid of those spooky frames of void!

I was able to render my clip, and now I can sleep. Thanks for previous suggestions by the way, those were useful, and directed me to the right direction anyways.

Return to posts index

Trevor Gauthier
on Mar 14, 2016 at 11:03:24 pm

This post ended up confirming for me what I hoped it wasn't the truth, so I figured I'd share so others may find a solution like I did. I was getting the dreaded Unknown Error and regretfully I have experienced it before so I knew a few of the causes, so I started with deleting clips, then moved on to trying to find the section that had errors, which proved to be a waste because the problem turned out to be all of my NESTED sequences.

In most projects to keep them clean I tend to use the nested sequence option quite regularly. I use it to help organize a design intros and lower thirds, since they typically get complicated and amass many layers. And for some clients I use the same intro and lower thirds multiple times for different videos so it is easy to drag in "intro" or "Jon Lower Third". It also works nice if you want a clean fade or transition in/out.

So my work around for mine was to go into the nested sequences and copy all the layers I was using and then pasted them overtop of the nested sequence, being careful I didn't overwrite anything important.

Now here is the real goofy thing about all this was I could go in and render the nested sequence no problem and for this client I have the same intro sequence on 9 videos and 8 of the 9 export and render with 0 issues. Only one makes me do this stupid re-render! WTF!

Some times I think Adobe adds these bugs because they get bored and need someone to talk too!

Return to posts index

Kayo Torres
on Apr 10, 2016 at 1:43:15 pm

Hi guys! I'm new here but since I went through the same problem I decided to share my experience:

I faced the same thing while editing a video that had some png. within it and got the same error. I tried everything , from removing effects to unesting, renaming files, changing presets, everything. The thing here is that I was editing from my notebook since I'm on a trip, and I set my external HD as my default scratch disk for premiere. I didn't bring my HDD with me and the scratch disks were still set for it... I simply changed the scratch disks to my computer's C: storage and voila! Rendering as a charm :)

Funny how the solution was the most basic thing, but hope this helps someone!

Return to posts index

Nik Read
on Apr 15, 2016 at 5:00:46 pm

Hi JP,

I've been searching the COW as I've been having these similar issues in Premiere and I wondered if, almost 2 years on, you ever had this resolved? Mine have only started about 6 weeks ago but I'm spending hours and hours trying to get my iMac to export something that it has always in the past done perfectly.

Hope you can help, I'm unsure of what to try next.

regards
Nik

Return to posts index

Andrew Doiron
on May 12, 2016 at 3:23:22 pm

Not sure if this is a solution but it worked for me!

I've had a lot of problems trying to export sequences with MXF files within them. What did work was nesting the entirety of the sequence and then exporting the sequence containing the nest. No idea if that'll work for everyone or why it works for me but let's hope it's a solution!

Return to posts index

Nik Read
on May 12, 2016 at 3:28:24 pm

OK many thanks for the tip. What I've had to do is to uninstall the current version of Premiere and go back a version and all of a sudden that fixed it. Seemed like there must have been something in there that it didn't like...

thanks again for the response,
Nik

Return to posts index

Bob Pierce
on May 15, 2016 at 9:25:01 pm

This has become a major problem for me lately, and I went about trying most of these ideas to no avail. I spent hours experimenting (while the client waited anxiously) until finally I tried Walter's suggestion, and sudden, bam, problem gone. Once again, Walter to the rescue - with a 2 year old post! Thanks Mr. B.
Bob

Return to posts index

Patrick Gillespie
on Jun 15, 2016 at 5:14:25 pm

This is what worked for me, nesting the entire sequence. I have a big hunch it's the .mxf files, and it'd be great if premiere figured this out- but for now, the nest!

Return to posts index

Jedd Manning
Re: "Error Compiling Movie. Unknown Error" FIX!!!
on Dec 16, 2016 at 11:27:05 pm

Hi,
I didn't find this forums answers helpful but I worked out how to fix it. I decided to post because a lot of people will find this helpful. All you need to do is go to Sequence Settings then go to Video Previews and change the codec. Then see if it renders. It worked for me and hope that you guys will find it helpful.

Jedd Manning

Return to posts index

sergio Busato
Re: "Error Compiling Movie. Unknown Error" FIX!!!
on Nov 27, 2017 at 7:13:29 am

I had the same problem and by coping and pasting the entire sequence into a new sequence I managed to finally export my movie.

I hope it helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]