ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

How to Remove a Nail on the Wall Behind the Talking Head?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Knight
How to Remove a Nail on the Wall Behind the Talking Head?
on Jul 26, 2014 at 4:29:22 am

Hi, I have footage of a talking head in front of a white wall but there's a big nail or screw in the wall next to the guy which I find very distracting. I'm guessing there must be a way to remove it easily in Premiere since it does not need to be motion tracked. Can someone assist me on how to achieve this please? I'm assuming it must involve creating a static mask?

Return to posts index

Declan Smith
Re: How to Remove a Nail on the Wall Behind the Talking Head?
on Jul 26, 2014 at 1:24:26 pm

Hi,
If there is no tracking and nothing obscuring the nail (ie it's always in view) then you could duplicate the footage onto another layer, add a 4 or 8 point garbage matte around the nail, then move the footage a few pixels left or right or up or down until you get a clean part if the wall to take its place. You will also need to feather the mask to make it blend well. Not sure whether you need to move the footage then mask or mask then move as I am not in front of a computer right now.

Declan Smith
http://www.madpanic.tv
After Effects CS6/ FCS3 / Canon XLH1 / Canon 7D / Reason / Cubase

"it's either binary or it's not"

Return to posts index

Richard Angle
on Jul 26, 2014 at 10:25:21 pm

Declan's advice would be perfect if only Premiere Pro included feathered edges with their garbage mattes. Not sure why they left it out as it usually makes the supplied garbage mattes almost useless. If you happen to be on Premiere Pro CC, try the oval tracking mask under the opacity settings in the effects control panel instead. This new feature allows you to feather the edges. Do as Declan advises in terms of duplicating the clip and shifting the bottom layer. But apply the tracking mask instead.

If you dont have CC, try the crop effect instead with feathered edges and the instructions above.

Richard Angle

Return to posts index

Alan Knight
on Jul 30, 2014 at 2:13:58 pm

OK so for 2 of the 3 clips I was able to simply create a duplicate of the video layer which I put on the layer above the original. I then created on that new layer a small ellipse around a clean part of the wall just above the nail, then repositioned that elliptical mask OVER the nail to hide it.

Unfortunately, in the 3rd clip, the suject's hand passes over the nail at one point. Whats the solution at this point? A lengthy one I can think of is to add a keyframe for the opacity of the mask at the exact time the hand comes over, so that the mask has 0% opacity at that time, thereby allowing the entire hand to show.

Is this the suggested (or only) way for Premiere Pro CC 2014?

Return to posts index

Michael Yu
on Jul 26, 2014 at 9:59:47 pm

Well you can remove it but you will also need to replace and cover up the area, which is in effect removing it.

If you have just premiere, duplicate the clip so the new one is on top. Use a garbage matte (four or eight depending on what works best) and crop around another part of the white wall that matches the look of what the wall would be theoretically if there was no nail there. Then select and move the wall clip and place it over the nail.

If the wall looks the same throughout it should work okay, but it'd be easier and give better results if you used like After Effects or Photoshop to better blend the image on top.

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Jul 27, 2014 at 12:32:20 am

If you have CC14 follow instructions as per Michael Yu but instead of using a Garbage Matte use the Opacity Mask option. This you can feather. Garbage Matte you cannot. Well you can but with a workaround.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Jul 27, 2014 at 5:47:08 pm

Yep and you have full Blend capacities under the Opacity section of your Effects Panel.

Return to posts index

Alan Knight
on Jul 28, 2014 at 3:07:17 am

Thanks everyone - Im on CC2014 - I'll follow the tips here and give it a shot!

Return to posts index

Alan Knight
on Jul 28, 2014 at 3:08:50 pm

OK Im trying to follow Michael Yu's method.. ive got a clean elliptical selection drawn over a clean part of the wall... how do I copy and move that over the nail? I tried a bunch of modifier keys while dragging.. (im on Windows)...

Return to posts index

Bala Chandran
on Jul 29, 2014 at 2:40:40 pm

In CS6 you move the layer under Effect Control> Position. I guess it would be similar in CC.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]