ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Looking for easiest way to deal with sync sound during edit, problems with standard workflow

COW Forums : PluralEyes

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Kyle Turgeon
Looking for easiest way to deal with sync sound during edit, problems with standard workflow
on Jul 23, 2014 at 3:35:48 pm

Hey guys,

I know this has been kind of a beat to death subject but I've researched a ton, tried a bunch of different ways, and still can't figure out the best way to do it. Here's my situation:

I'm in the middle of production on a 40 minute documentary which by the end of it will probably have 4-6tb of footage. I'm recording two sources of audio -- shotgun into camera as well as a wireless lav into a zoom h1n, and trying to figure out the best way to sync them and edit the syncs.

I tried using synchronize within Premiere, but that won't work for the volume of clips, so I got Pluraleyes, which is great. Once everything is synced up, I need to merge the clips, which works fine. Then I go through and make sub clips from those and all is still okay, but when I go to actually cut everything together, I can't mark ins/outs within the sub clips. Sometimes it straight up won't let me, and other times once brought into the timeline (both by mouse and keyboard insertion), the ins/outs don't line up with where I marked the clip. Worst comes to worst I could trim in the timeline but I find that really frustrating and a big waste of time. I'm really trying to streamline my workflow so that I can work as efficiently as possible as it's such a large project.

I'm wondering what the best way to proceed is. Should I cut everything without syncing and then sync once I have a master timeline-- would that work? Should I abandon my process of making subclips and then going back into them to mark precise ins/outs, and move to a workflow with markers and make ins/outs from the master merge?

I feel like this is a pretty standard problem an editor has to deal with, and I'm hoping that some of you guys have had to deal with it and could share your practices.

Thanks!

Kyle

Kyle Turgeon // Filmmaker
Nashville, TN
kyleturgeon.com

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]