ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Exporting a Feature to ProRes 422 from a PC?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Cone
Exporting a Feature to ProRes 422 from a PC?
on Jul 2, 2014 at 6:47:07 pm

Hi,

I know this has been asked a million times, but I need to do it again. I shot a feature on the Scarlet, edited in Premiere on a desktop PC, that is due to a distributor in a few days. They absolutely need ProRes 422. What is the simplest/cheapest way to accomplish that?

I'll add that I've got, separately, a MacBook with Premiere, but it would be a giant hassle opening the file on the Mac. Is there a format I could export on my PC, import on my Mac and then export again? I don't need to do it that way; just curious.

Thanks!

Stephen

Return to posts index

ryan kelly
Re: Exporting a Feature to ProRes 422 from a PC?
on Jul 2, 2014 at 8:00:48 pm
Last Edited By ryan kelly on Jul 2, 2014 at 8:01:38 pm

you can use ffmpeg (via AnotherGui) on pc to convert a quicktime to ProRes (I usually make a DNXHD clip first):

http://www.stuudio.ee/anotherGUI/presets.html

I've done it many times and the files have passed broadcaster muster.

-Ryan

Return to posts index

Yair Bartal
on Jul 2, 2014 at 8:13:54 pm

You may want to look at this: http://www.miraizon.com/products/codecsoverview.html

Return to posts index

Stephen Cone
on Jul 2, 2014 at 8:59:44 pm

Excellent. Thank you so much. Stupid question: once I've downloaded the codec, what's the next step so that I can export ProRes from Premiere?

Return to posts index

Yair Bartal
on Jul 2, 2014 at 9:07:14 pm

I've never used it, but I'd guess you have to choose the QuickTime format and the ProRes codec under the Video tab in the Export Setting window.
You may want to google it further first.

Return to posts index

Stephen Cone
on Jul 2, 2014 at 9:12:15 pm

Once the codec is installed, will it appear there automatically?

Return to posts index

Yair Bartal
on Jul 2, 2014 at 9:31:38 pm

It should.

Return to posts index

Tom Munday
on Jul 10, 2014 at 8:37:05 pm

I bought the Miraizon codec a week or so ago and was over the moon to find myself able to export directly to ProRes from After Effects - most clients want delivery on that format which has generally meant dragging everything over to a Mac for a final conversion.

However, I've since found that Premiere won't work with Quicktime at all when Miraizon Prores is installed - I can't import anything with a .mov wrapper (generic error) and I can't play any Quicktime files already imported into a project (media not found).

As soon as I uninstall the codec this problem is solved and Premiere works as normal. Having the codec installed has no negative effect on After Effects, only Premiere and means I'm constantly installing and uninstalling it every time I want to use Premiere!

Not getting much response from Miraizon but they say there are other reports of this from users - does anyone else have this problem and by chance any solution? If we could turn off the Miraizon codec for reading Quicktimes and only have it for authoring, I think this would solve it but I can't figure out a way to do that...

Excellent bit of software with a major flaw for me...

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Jul 10, 2014 at 10:52:24 pm

Sounds like different Quicktime SDK versions were used by Miraizon and Premiere. I have seen this before when there is a common file share that gets overwritten to a version Premiere doesn't recognize. Is this CC or older version of Premiere?

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

Tom Munday
on Jul 11, 2014 at 11:37:36 am

Thanks for the response Eric - I've got both CS6 and CC installed and it's happening on both versions exactly the same. Any help solving it would be gratefully received!

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Jul 11, 2014 at 9:52:21 pm

What version of Quicktime do you have installed? Please uninstall Quicktime after you install Mir and then install the latest version from Apple's website.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

Tom Munday
on Jul 12, 2014 at 5:42:17 pm

I had Quicktime 7.7.5 - I've uninstalled it and reinstalled it from the website, no joy. Then uninstalled and reinstalled Miraizon as well, still no joy unfortunately.

Return to posts index

Tom Munday
on Jul 15, 2014 at 12:33:00 pm

Okay - after a bit more of a chat with Miraizon they said it was a very unusual problem but suggested there could be a possible conflict with AJA or BlackMagic. I have neither of these but it did remind me that I have Raylight Decoder (purchased for a specific project a long time back).

Uninstalling that has resolved the problem on Premiere CC but interestingly enough, not in CS6... however, I can definitely just live with CC so consider this problem solved.

Thanks for all your help and hope this provides some aid for others...

Return to posts index

Marcus Mosley
on Sep 22, 2014 at 8:45:51 pm

I use a program called Cinemartin with my Adobe Premiere CS6 on my PC to create ProRes Files.

http://www.cinemartin.com/cinec/plin/

It's very easy to install and use...

The software support ProRes 422, 444, and all the rest including H264 and H265...

The ONLY issue I have with the program is it require a very large C drive because it will create a 400GB temp file on your C drive while converting a full length movie.

So make sure your C Drive is at least 1TB...

This is very important to remember...

And trying to trick the program to use another temp location will not work...

It MUST be the C drive...

But I LOVE this program because it give me all the benefits of having a MAC and is very easy to install... It took me about 20 seconds to install the program.

But please remember the huge temp file requirement.

I will say it again... You MUST have a huge C drive that at least 1TB to use this program.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]