ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Rename File name based off clip name

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Isaac Brillant
Rename File name based off clip name
on Jun 30, 2014 at 2:15:08 pm

hi,
Is there a function in CC similar to the "rename file name based off clip name" function in FCP?
thanks

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
Re: Rename File name based off clip name
on Jun 30, 2014 at 4:13:51 pm

I don't think so....

and here's why I think that may be the case...

in native editing, some formats require looking at folder structure (like MXF)...

renaming a file can create filename collision issues as well as linking problems when a "clip" as you see it is actually built from a number of sub components located in a folder set.....that's my best guess anyway...

sorry...

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

Yair Bartal
on Jun 30, 2014 at 5:20:58 pm

May be, but...
Using "File/Project Manager..." you can set "Rename Media Files to Match Clip Names".

So?

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Jun 30, 2014 at 5:31:07 pm

ok....so then.... me = wrong :)

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

Jon Hiseman
on Jun 30, 2014 at 5:57:56 pm

I sooooo want this too - right from the project window. When I log a series of clips in PPro I call them by a name I recognise anywhere in the project. When I archive the project I want those names in the Finder. So now I log in the Finder first, changing the names there. It still seems a no-brainer of a feature to me - and I'm long gone from FCP

I used to be Jon Hiseman but I'm feeling better now.

Return to posts index

Isaac Brillant
on Jun 30, 2014 at 6:02:12 pm

Thanks for the reply

But can you do the reverse, rename Clip Names to match Media Files?

Return to posts index

Yair Bartal
on Jun 30, 2014 at 6:36:40 pm

Not that I know.
But why would you want to?
When you import a file, the clip name already matches the media File.

Return to posts index

Isaac Brillant
on Jun 30, 2014 at 6:52:25 pm

In my case, the files were synced in the project before they had been correctly named. Now that they're named correctly, I want the names of the clips in the project to match.
thx

Return to posts index

Francisco Garcia
on Feb 25, 2015 at 10:09:22 am

I would like to Rename Clip to Match File Name as well, which can be done in FCP.

A perfectly good situation that requires that in Premiere is the current case I'm dealing with.

Someone started a Premiere CC 2014 project using a combination of Lumix GH4 4K and 1080 footage, and some Panasonic AVCHD/MTS media. All without transcoding first.

They were complaining about constant crashes, which were being caused by the use of the original h264 files. I did a 'Match Source' conversion to ProRes using Prelude/Media Encoder and linked media to those new files. Now the project works and scrubs through the 4K like butter. However, the clip names still have the .MP4 and .MTS file suffix which I'd like to update to what the actual medial files are now, .mov.

A simple Rename Clip to File Name would be extremely helpful here. The only other way to do it is to update the name manually, or to right-click and Replace Media by pointing to the same source file and checking the Rename Clip to File Name box in the window that pop-ups. Still, this has to be done one file at a time, and is more time-consuming than renaming one-by-one in the bin.

Return to posts index

Chris Whitmore
on Mar 1, 2016 at 7:53:08 pm

Francisco,

I'm glad i found your note- I am literally working on the EXACT same workflow, with AVCHD fs100, gh4 footage and the need to update Clip names based on the new linked filenames.

Now that we have MOV files, we aren't conforming, settings are great, and the editing is a million times easier/better/more efficient... except that the project has 156 versions of "00001.MTS" in various bins. blegh. on the file end, we have complete UNIQUE filenames just waiting to update into the clip names- but to no avail: there is no batch conversion in this direction it seems.

Has this ever been solved? Even by some third-party software or something? I know for sure that I haven't learned it in the 6 or so years i have been fuddling with PrPro and it's quirkiness. No disrespect, Premiere.

This would save my A** on an feature film project we are working on. Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Chris

Return to posts index

Jon Hiseman
on Feb 25, 2015 at 11:04:23 am

For those looking for a way to rename files in the Finder BEFORE importing into your NLE, look at this app for Windows or Mac:
http://www.filerenamer.com/

It really does what it says on the tin.
jonh

I used to be Jon Hiseman but I'm feeling better now.

Return to posts index

Matija Pekic
on Jun 20, 2017 at 12:45:11 pm

Hi guys, I have a SOLUTION which works inside premiere!

I had the same problem with multiple 0000.mov files that we already in the project and I used filerenamer to change the original File names to something like C100_Day01_0000.mov which made them offline. After I had reconnected them the problem was that they still had the old Clip Name.

and the ANSWER is, select all the clips with wrong Clip Names and right click - Proxy - Reconnect Full Resolution Media
and you will automatically attach the rest of the clips and the names inside the project bin & the timeline will change to the File Name that is originally in the file.

hope this helps. I found that by accident and it saved me a great deal of time..

Return to posts index

Abigail Bottrill
on Feb 23, 2019 at 5:14:26 pm

That is brilliant Matija Pekic, thanks very much for sharing!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]