ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Setting up Premiere Pro with Facilis Terrablock

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Christian Simpson
Setting up Premiere Pro with Facilis Terrablock
on Jun 18, 2014 at 10:00:10 pm

So our small group here acquired a Facilis Terrablock that I'm loving by the way and I was wondering what the best setup was if you work with Adobe products. Premiere Pro to be exact. We have 4 clients that will be working off of the Terrablock.

The main question I have is how to setup the media tab in the preferences. Is it possible for all the clients to share the same media cache folder? What I'm hoping is that if edit bay 01 works on a project and then edit 02 opens it back up they would be able to benefit from the cache files created by edit 01 if that makes sense.

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
Re: Setting up Premiere Pro with Facilis Terrablock
on Jun 19, 2014 at 2:18:51 am

I used Terrablock and PPro CS3 at a facility.(I actually spec'd it, installed it, supported it, and then took a job there as a senior editor)...

We had a pretty simple volume per project workflow with some volumes coming from common "Library" volumes.

We set up scratch disks in the project volume.

When the next editor opened the project everything was there.

For us a key (on windows) was setting up everything thru the C:->volume mapping...

in other words..volumes showing as C:/volumes/name of volume.
it's also important to remind editors to import assets into a project via media browser or whatever) thru that path...

I think this is pretty standard with terrablock now...it was new when we were working.

just because windows (at that time) didn't have an easy way to always map the same letters to vloumes when mounting. so that would break media links when opening a project on different systems...so projects required relinking...

sorry for the outdated info....but that's what I can contribute....

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Jun 19, 2014 at 5:43:20 pm

also....check on performance with P2 mxf structures....when using facilis.

I never had an issue (we were mostly HDV)... but I was conversing on some threads here where ppl were complaining specifically and speed with that format.

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

Peter Price
on Jun 20, 2014 at 7:43:48 am

Hi Christian,

I have a facility running a Terrablock and running Mac workstations via Fiber to the Facilis, and running Premiere Pro and Avid Media Composer. As of now, I've set the Cache in the media tab to be placed in the same folder as the project, or something along those lines in the settings, and we haven't had any problems so far, however Adobe has warned me that they generally suggest keeping the cache files local to the machine because it is a very chatty connection and could hinder speed and performance on the Terrablock, but we have not run into this as of yet. But yes...in saving the files on the Terrablock, the hope is to be able to open the project from another bay without having to reimport or recache material in the project....

Return to posts index

Christian Simpson
on Jun 20, 2014 at 11:49:24 am

Thanks for sharing your experience Peter. I believe I am going to try and do the same and I will report back and let you all know if I am experiencing any issues.

Return to posts index

Chad Gilmour
on Aug 4, 2014 at 2:26:35 pm

We have 2 Macs and 1 Windows connected via Fibre to our Terrablock. Having the volumes mapped through the C: drive is key for us to collaborate. We have mixed feelings about placing/sharing render files or the media cache on a Terrablock volume. It did work for us in that one editor could open up a project and inherit the render files or cache files created by another editor. However sometimes they would mysteriously go offline, sometimes render files can get "stuck" and create odd results on final outputs, and some of my editors swear it's much slower than keeping the media cache/render on a local (non-OS) drive. All that to say, we tried it, it did technically work, but we gave up on it because of some in-frequent anomalies.

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]