ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere Pro: reference clip hell and freezing media playback

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ned Thorne
Premiere Pro: reference clip hell and freezing media playback
on May 15, 2014 at 8:04:01 pm
Last Edited By Ned Thorne on May 15, 2014 at 8:19:53 pm

I'm having two major issues with Premiere Pro. First of all, I'm running version 7.2.2 on a mid-2011 iMac, 2.7 Ghz Intel Core i5, 12 GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 memory, AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB graphics card, and Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5.

Issue 1: Reference Clips. I'm used to using Avid and Final Cut. In FCP, you can open a second project and grab master clips, sequences, or bins - whatever you want, really - and easily bring it into your primary project. Since the master clips and sequences all point to the same media, FCP doesn't really care. With Avid, you can open a bin from another project and basically do the same thing.

But with Premiere, you have to "import" the second project or selected sequences into your current project. So I do that, and I open a sequence from the imported project and copy the clips I want from that timeline into the timeline in my current project. Then, in the name of project tidiness, I want to delete that imported sequence from my current project. However, when I go to do this, Premiere stops me with a message: "The selection you are deleting contains clip references in one or more sequences. If you continue these clip references will also be deleted. Do you want to continue?" If I click "yes", the clips I just pasted into my timeline vanish along with the imported sequence I just deleted. This is maddening. I'd like someone to explain why in the hell Premiere operates this way (unlike the other two programs, which appear to be designed by humans), because I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation. Am I missing something? Then, I'd like someone to tell me a better way to get work from other projects into my current project without having imported bins and sequences pile up I can't delete.

Issue 2: Premiere Pro holds me hostage inside it. I'm cutting with mostly H264 footage. This doesn't seem to be a problem for PP, which appears to be able to work with almost anything. Fine. But if I ever go away from PP - say, to Chrome or Word or even just to the Finder - when I click back into PP, the media will not play. At all. Everything else continues to function: bins open, I can drag stuff around on the timeline, I can even save, but NOTHING. WILL. PLAY. The source and record monitors basically cease to function. In order to fix it, I have to force quit PP and restart. I'm lucky I have a second computer here next to me to do other tasks, or this would be completely unworkable.

This forum (http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/925028) seems to address the same issue, but it's from 2012 and Premiere does not appear to have fixed the problem (thanks to Creative Cloud, I'm guaranteed to be running the most recent version of the app).

If someone could please, please offer some advice on the above two issues, I'd be very grateful.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]