ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

3 way Color Corrector from FCP to Premiere Pro, disgusting!

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Flavio Stiavetti
3 way Color Corrector from FCP to Premiere Pro, disgusting!
on May 1, 2014 at 5:59:51 pm

Hi there people, I'm finally switching to Ppro from Good-Old-Final Cut Pro.

I want to lower the mids of an image and raise the highlights to create a Bleach effect (please don't give me that Lumetri crap)

The first thing I noticed and already missed is the super intuitive Three Way Color Corrector of FCP, in which there was a slider for blacks, Mids, and Whites, and by adjusting them you don't change color, just the amount of gain.

Now how do I do that in PPrp? this three way built thing is just awful, I see the shadow, Midtone and Highlight option but non of the 4 dropdown option from those will do what I want and THEY CHANGE THE COLOR! aamazing what a piece of c...

Any advice? I'm looking for a fast way to do this.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
Re: 3 way Color Corrector from FCP to Premiere Pro, disgusting!
on May 1, 2014 at 9:45:06 pm

Lumetri crap?

Hmmm...take a deep breath, Flavio...

Arbitrary separated gain controls like FCPs 3 way corrector aren't in Adobe's corrector.

However, an integrated input levels control right below the color wheels control the highlight, gamma and blacks with three sliding controls, which control the grayscale of the image as a unit.

You want the middle (gamma) control for raising/lowering the midtones.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Adobe Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on May 2, 2014 at 2:39:09 am

Well maybe I wouldn't call Lumetri crap but having non adjustable CC presets I find not that useful. And I would also call the 3 way CC another head scratcher. I wish Adobe would stop trying to re-invent things and just deliver things in line with what works. The default settings are useless. Just trying to warm a shot gives serious hard cutoffs so you have to tweak the ranges when you don't have to do that on the other 5 or 6 major CCs out there. Do they test this stuff?

I'm actually liking premiere but some decisions they've made I find perplexing.

Robert Brown
Editor/VFX/Colorist - FCP, Smoke, Quantel Pablo, After Effects, 3DS MAX, Premiere Pro

http://vimeo.com/user3987510/videos

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on May 2, 2014 at 3:11:11 am

FCP didn't invent everything.

If I had to move from Premiere Pro to Final Cut at this point, I'm sure the logic would seem elusive as well.

Adobe has made many changes in Premiere Pro to accommodate FCP users over the last several versions (far more than Apple might have made if the reverse migration were happening I'd guess)...

Lumetri is the color engine in SpeedGrade...inside PPro it's not a color correction plug, it's the LUT carrier to store sets of SpeedGrade adjustments (and you can create your own as most users do...)

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Adobe Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on May 2, 2014 at 4:14:12 pm
Last Edited By Chris Borjis on May 2, 2014 at 4:21:48 pm

I've never been a fan of the way premiere's 3-way corrector works
as far as utilizing the color wheels and
how they react for doing color cast/balance corrections.

It seems a lot different than fcp & colorista in that regard.

But I wouldn't ever consider wanting it changed instead of having Speedgrade and lumetri which
has been a GREAT tool.

Return to posts index

Flavio Stiavetti
on May 3, 2014 at 7:36:21 pm

Hey guys well yeah I guess I was in a panic attack against these new software, but then I calmed down, what's the point of getting angry to a computer right? haha have you ever been there?

But anyway thanks Tim for the advice, that was some great data, what would be the difference between the Input levels and Output levels?

Yes Premiere Pro is a great software and is catching up with FCP, like always right? :p But the hardware perfomance is way much higher now.

Lumetri is a good idea, but the fact that you can't change the setting makes it a bit crappy, it's much more interesting what the guys from Red Giant did with they Magic Bullet Looks.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on May 5, 2014 at 4:14:00 pm

[Flavio Stiavetti] " what would be the difference between the Input levels and Output levels?"

the top slider, if you move the black selector right it makes it darker, move the white selector left
and it makes it brighter.

on the lower slider moving either does the exact opposite.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on May 2, 2014 at 7:57:34 pm

Funny I was just talking to someone yesterday about how bad the color tools in Premiere are especially the 3-way corrector. The FCP 3-way was perfect - easy, effective and it's strange that no one has ever, in any other NLE, been able to create something similar? Even sadder that Apple chucked it when switching to FCPX.

I tend to use Colorista II for most color fixes in Premiere - it operates exactly like it does in FCP7 and gives me great results though the real-time performance via GPU could be much better. Another pretty cool color tool is Film Convert which, besides having great film looks, has a very nice 3-way corrector.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on May 6, 2014 at 10:19:17 pm
Last Edited By Andy Field on May 6, 2014 at 10:20:20 pm

Actually the Premiere Pro Fast color corrector is terrific...once you understand the underlying logic..

watch this tutorial

only thing missing in the tutorial is having one screen show the waveform and vector scope monitors...other than that...a simply way to understand this

ps this tutorial is for cs6 but it hasn't changed for CC

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]