ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

New Workstation

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Allby Corry
New Workstation
on Apr 27, 2014 at 1:19:59 pm

Hi,

I have two workstations with the i7 dual 16GB dual core with the Nvidia Quadro 4000 using Win7 and Premiere CS6.

Now I'm starting to assemble new one with i7 6 core or Xeon E5 10 core.

Which video card is most suitable for use in this system for Premiere and After Effects CC.
GTX 680, Table K5000 or the new GeForce GTX Titan.

I must confess that after 2 years I'm finding my Quadro 4000 a little slow.

Thanks
Allby

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
Re: New Workstation
on Apr 27, 2014 at 10:03:14 pm

What do you find "slow?"

The GPU takes care of certain functions, but keep in mind it's only as fast as the parts of the pipeline upstream...data is drawn off the harddrive and decoded by the CPU and if those two steps are keeping the GPU waiting, a faster GPU won't gain anything.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Adobe Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Apr 27, 2014 at 11:56:19 pm

I hit this topic often and I will often repeat that the key to building a good system for Adobe Premiere Pro is BALANCE!

IDEALLY, you should have 4GB of RAM for every physical core on your CPU. Meaning if you have an 8 core cpu (16 with HT), you should have 32GB of RAM (8 * 4).

Windows doesn't give you the speed up bonuses of an SSD drive like a Mac does, but I'd still put on one on there. Also, get a second SSD drive (small and cheap) as a cache drive for Premiere Pro. That will speed things up.

As for the GPU, they're all very, very good choices.

Hope this helps,
Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Allby Corry
on Apr 28, 2014 at 1:49:15 pm

Thank you Dennis,

I'm already looking for 32GB of RAM and SSD drives.
But the question of which video card to use still persists.

Tx.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Apr 28, 2014 at 1:54:11 pm

GTX is terrific power for hardly any money.
Quadro is Ferrari of high-end and a cost that goes with it
Titan is not tested by me but promises much.

Like I said, any of these would be good in my book. Ultimately, if you go with 680 (i have one) it's a beast for the money. If you want to buy into longevity and precision engineering with graceful failure (which it won't do) the Quadro is an excellent card. I don't know the TItan so can't comment.

Cheers,
Dennis

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Apr 28, 2014 at 2:36:19 pm

The GTX cards are strong performers which, as a general rule of thumb, draw a bit more power, create a bit more heat, and have less RAM than Quadro cards that will yield similar day-to-day results in Adobe software.

NVIDIA manufactures Quadro cards...licensed third party manufacturers make GeForce cards (Zotac, MSi, PNY, etc etc...) and they all make their own modifications to the spec, so the same model GeForce card can e constructed of varying components and may even have different specifications (amounts of RAM, etc) from manufacturer to manufacturer.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Allby Corry
on Apr 28, 2014 at 4:01:56 pm

Thanks all,

I'll take the GTX.

Cheers.
Allby

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on May 2, 2014 at 8:02:38 pm

Yeah I'd go for the GTX 780 or higher - at least 3GB of VRAM. the 680 is old tech. You could also give the new AMD Radeon R9 series a try - less expensive than nVidia yet faster on many things and Adobe approved.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Allby Corry
on May 9, 2014 at 3:42:05 pm

Hi Lance,

The GTX 780 work fine with Premiere and After Effects CS6 and CC, on Win7 and Mac?
I have read about some problems for example the Premiere CC does not work with it on Mac.

Thanks.
Allby

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on May 11, 2014 at 1:24:43 am

There is a much shorter Mac "white list" because Adobe can't approve a card to run on a Mac that Apple doesn't specifically approve for installation...

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]