ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

What are best settings to export highest quality MOV file

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
wayne kurtz
What are best settings to export highest quality MOV file
on Apr 25, 2014 at 3:13:41 pm

I have been a FCP 7.0 user and always export a QT mov of the final edit for archival purposes.
I want to do the same for a project just edited in Premiere CC.
If I send media to Export and use the preset Quicktime settings the file size of a 90 minute program is about 8 gb. In FCP the same file would be around 20 gb.
I changed video quality to 100 from 90;
If I change bitrate settings from 10,000 kbps and bump up data rate to about 32,000 kbps the file size increases to about 20 gb. Is that setting too high or too low? Adobe support told me changing bit rate does not affect quality???
In main export settings: Should I be using QT format or Animation which Adobe help suggested (but no set file size appears)
In video tab: Should I use H264 video codec or change to XDCAM HD 1080i which is the camera used and the same codec that FCP outputs my mov files? I want to be able to use the mov file in either FCP or PP.
Thanks!
wayne

Return to posts index

David Baud
Re: What are best settings to export highest quality MOV file
on Apr 25, 2014 at 3:25:54 pm

Quicktime is the wrapper. Quicktime can hold many types of codecs depending on your needs and workflow.
For archiving you may want to choose the Apple ProRes HQ codec (you will be able to cut these files in either FCP or PrP) or you could choose uncompressed. It really depends on the quality of your original footage/master. The choice you make for the codec will affect the quality and size of the files.

In any case I would recommend some testing on your side with different codecs and see what fit better for your project.

David Baud
Post & VFX
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris
http://www.kosmos-productions.com

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Apr 25, 2014 at 4:14:44 pm

We export Pro Res files in that situation.

HQ, might be over kill, a much larger file size but looking
the same otherwise.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 27, 2014 at 2:19:54 am

Yes HQ is usually overkill. But even proRes 422 should be 90gigs approx for a 90min project.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]