ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Merged Clips Issues

COW Forums : PluralEyes

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Rich Camp
Merged Clips Issues
on Mar 27, 2014 at 6:17:31 am

I merged clips when I synced them which has turned out to be the worst decision ever. I'm shocked at how poorly this system works. I've been trying to find original files, use XML and a few other things but always run into issues because it's referencing a merged clip rather than the source files and it has no connection to the original files.
I was curious is there a way to revert to the clips as separate audio / video? Is there a way to export or create new trimmed clips for the sequence to reference? I tried Media Manger but it still refered to the clips as merged. I just want to get my sequence with the video used as actual clips. Please help! Thank you!

Return to posts index

Gary Tobyn
Re: Merged Clips Issues
on Mar 29, 2014 at 7:50:08 pm

The only way around this flaw (a fundamental one in my opinion which makes me feel PP unsuitable for any dual source project) was to do the following.

Match frame (assuming pp can get this right) the clip in the first frame of the clip in the timeline
Copy the timecode from the clip in the viewer window.
Search for the original non sync clip in your rushes (as long as you kept it, if you didn't reimport it)
Paste the timecode you copied to get to the first frame you want.
Mark in and replace the video of the clip on the timeline (the audio still exports for an Omfi)

The XML will then work when you send it to DaVinci Resolve (at least that is what I tested)

This is a terrible oversite by adobe and a deal breaker,for me right now.
Especially when you consider people have been complaining about this since merged clips were,introduced in version 5.5 (which I only discovered after I cut my project).
I would have gone straight to avid if I had known.

Return to posts index

Rich Camp
on Mar 30, 2014 at 7:54:25 pm

I think I solved this issue. I did an EDL and when I brought that back into Premiere it was only referencing the video and audio files no more merged clips! It seems to have work. Now just hoping I can transfer it to FCPX with 7toX as that how I wanted to continue work on it.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Gerard Tay
on Mar 31, 2014 at 4:33:46 am

I replied to this issue on another thread here.

"I would suggest working with multicam sequences if you are working with dual system sound audio. Multicam sequences can hold one or more streams of video and audio in place, and multicam has a further advantage of allowing you to utilize features such as batch syncing of video to audio clips with audio analysis. It's like having PluralEyes built in. But beyond that, it allows you to "flatten" your multicam edits, which will revert your edits to that of a normal clip object to facilitate an XML workflow.

For the audio, you can export an OMF like you used to and that will work with ProTools.

When match framing from a multicam sequence, the first match frame will match frame to the multicam sequence in the source monitor. When you hit match frame a second time, it will match frame back to the original clip."

Return to posts index

Marc R Leonard
on Apr 30, 2014 at 1:13:53 am

I would love to know if you got this working. I have an entire timeline of merged clips I'm trying to conform. I've even tried using text wrangler to get rid of the '-Merged' portion of the filename... It doesn't look like it worked.

Return to posts index

Rich Camp
on May 2, 2014 at 2:48:55 pm

The best I learned was if you export an EDL and choose use file names it will go to file names. I also was able to go thru a crazy experiment of exporting an edl bring it back in connect it then export an XML open in fcp7 then export XMLor edl and bring back into fcp7 then clean it up and between all this it seemed to clear all the merged issues. Sorry that does sound awful I've spent countless hours trying to fix this.

Return to posts index

Paul Allman
on Oct 16, 2014 at 8:11:05 pm

Merge clips a total disaster. After post-syncing double-system sound with translations, delighted to use the nifty Synchronize Clips feature, which was flawless and quick. Then Merged all into a Merged Clip so I could carry the translation along, make subclips, and edit the doc, with the intention of eventually dropping in the mixed audio and finished VO tracks.

At this point, all timecode went haywire. Overlay TC showed a different TC that was embedded in the V1 file. There is no matching back to Source. You can track it down with properties if you want to confirm that the TC is incorrect. Spent hours tracking back source files and sequences to confirm the true TC and try to get the software to display correct code. No dice. Sad, because I was on the cusp of going entirely PP going forward, but this is an amateurish failing.

This project is too big and too deep for this level of nonsense. So I exported XML of everything and opened in FCP7 -- now at work, TC locked, editing. Really too bad. PP is prettier and faster, but the code is ugly.

Paul Allman

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]