ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Travel matte question

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Lyons
Travel matte question
on Mar 23, 2014 at 12:24:40 am

I've over a decade experience with FCP and AE so I'm a little frustrated in hunting down how to easily do a traveling matte in PP. Before you say "use track matte or set matte", these won't or don't works I want them to. Here's the dilemma - in FCP I could place a png with an alpha channel on a layer below my significant video. Then change composite mode to travel matte alpha on the upper clip and my image is isolated to where the lower layer's alpha is. AND you could then move the upper layer around with the alpha remaining where it is; like you have a window open on a train - you can see stuff move inside the alpha.
But in PP, neither track matte or set matte seem to allow that. When I set the matte it is linked to the motion settings of the layer possessing the matte effect. I know you can work around it with a nest etc. but then you lose the interactivity with the primary sequence. And I would rather not have to toss that chunk of the sequence over to AE just to do this simple trick.
Help me Premiere Pro Gurus - you're my only hope!

-- A Proud member of the Reality Based Community since 1992.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
Re: Travel matte question
on Mar 23, 2014 at 1:05:52 am

It doesn't sound like a "track matte" in Premiere Pro nomenclature to me...it sounds like you have a matte that needs to stay put and the source material underneath is alpha-keyed on another video layer...and needs to move.

Does the alpha source need to be both alpha and matted (showing the lower layer of video through the alpha transparency AND the matted areas?

Does that question make sense?...Just trying to get a handle on the result you're going for...

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Adobe Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

Doug Lyons
on Mar 23, 2014 at 5:31:39 pm

The matte or alpha source needs to stay put and is not seen. Just like in AE when you use a layer above to determine what is seen from the lower layer, yet you can move the lower layer and do whatever you want with it without affecting the alpha source.

-- A Proud member of the Reality Based Community since 1992.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Mar 23, 2014 at 9:03:08 pm

Like Paul, I typically nest a clip that needs movement underneath a static matte, and use the track matte effect. Place the motion in the nested sequence.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Adobe Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Mar 23, 2014 at 8:46:37 pm

Not sure what you mean by losing interactivity with the sequence. Anyway, what I do for this is put the matte above the clip and lower the opacity to 50%. Then I do all the repositioning/scaling/effects to the clip and then nest it. Nest just that one clip. It becomes a clip just like any other. Reset the opacity on the matte and use a Track Matte effect on the new nested clip.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]