ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Thoughts on using QT to import video for later editing in Premiere?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stan welks
Thoughts on using QT to import video for later editing in Premiere?
on Feb 18, 2014 at 2:06:24 am

I have tons of AVCHD clips that need to be brought into a Mac for me to edit later. I was thinking of having other people help me, though I do not have enough licenses of Premiere to do this, so I'm thinking of having other people with Macs use the latest free Quicktime Player to import the video straight from SD cards and re-export as 1080p video in a format that I can later reimport into Premiere. The advantage of doing this is I can clear tons of clips of many SD cards and get them all onto one drive that will be ready when I need it.

1. Anyone know what type of compression that the version of QT that comes with Mavericks is applying to the video? Is it heavily compressed?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
Re: Thoughts on using QT to import video for later editing in Premiere?
on Feb 18, 2014 at 2:45:17 pm

Not sure why you are going through all of this. Why not just ingest the cards to a drive, and store them there - ready to be used in an edit. Do you have a much earlier version of PPro that cannot edit AVCHD media?

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia Quadro 4000 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Feb 18, 2014 at 3:10:07 pm

Agreeing with Steve. Premiere edits AVCHD natively, so why convert? Having others downloading and copying/converting my footage would give me nightmares. So easy to mess up and then that video could be gone forever! Best practice is to copy the ENTIRE contents of the SD card to the hard drive, and then also make an immediate backup on another drive. Then edit the AVCHD in Premiere, importing using the Media Browser. By the way, converting the footage will also have the side effect of making the clips MUCH larger, increasing storage needs.

Good luck

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Feb 18, 2014 at 3:37:45 pm

Yeah, I kept re-reading the original post certain I was missing something. Copy the entire cards, save for later. Organize/create new AVCHD sets in Prelude.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 18, 2014 at 6:06:53 pm

Quicktime cannot deal with AVCHD cards directly. You either neet an NLE to deal with them, or third party apps like ClipWrap2 to re-wrap it to QT.

But I'm with everyone else...PPro edits AVCHD native, no need to convert.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

stan welks
on Feb 18, 2014 at 8:44:55 pm

1.) Just for clarification, you guys are suggesting that I copy the entire contents of each SD card to a hard drive, and then when I’m read to access the footage, I can just use the Media Browser in CS6 to import the footage?

2.) If so, each card has tons of clips, most of which I will never need, though if I simply drag the contents of each SD card to a hard drive, I’m copying over all of those files and increasing my storage requirements. How do you deal with this? Is there some way to delete files from a AVCHD folder?

3.) Shane, I plug AVCHD cards into my iMac and am able to open the footage in the latest QT, do simple edits, and export the new footage.

Thanks everyone.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 18, 2014 at 8:57:20 pm

1) Yes. Have a copy on an archive drive, but then drop the full card onto the media drive, and then use the Media Browser to bring the footage into PPro...natively.

2) AVCHD files are VERY low data rate. Much lower than if you converted only a few selects to say, ProRes. Don't mess with the card structure, don't delete anything. Just don't import the shots you don't need. ONly bring in what you want.

3) Ah...must be something new with the new OS and QT.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Feb 18, 2014 at 11:54:27 pm

If you would like to have AVCHD file structure of just the select clips from each card you need to use Prelude. You could load the SD card into your computer, open in Prelude, pick your selects and ingest with the Transfer to New Destination option checked. This will build a new AVCHD copy of just your selects and maintain the AVCHD file structure wherever you choose to have it created.

I'd make a copy of the entire card as well as backup. But if you want to maintain the file structure and get rid of all the clips you don't need then do it through Prelude.

Return to posts index

stan welks
on Feb 19, 2014 at 9:32:07 pm

Thanks Paul, I will look into Prelude.

Is there anything in CS6 similar to what FCP 6 or 7 had where you could import clips and export them as self-contained QT files that apply no compression, and can be viewed individually in a QT player or re-imported into CS6, After Effects, etc.?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Paul Fletcher Murray
on Feb 20, 2014 at 6:49:49 am

Hi Jeff,

I have a similar situation but with a twist. An editor 400 miles from me is finishing her Premiere Pro CC project and I want to take her finished work to date into my Premiere Pro CC and cut pieces from it and then output a final video.

Her images sources were from HDSLR footage at 24 fps.

My main time line is built from AVCHD at 29.97.

The first export she sent me she exported in Apply Pro Res 422 light. This comes into Premiere Pro but doesn't play. Do I need her to re-export her finished video to me (and in what format should I ask her to export it to me?)

So I can call her and say "Please re-export your videos for me. This time export it in _________? so I can import it into my Premiere Pro CC and not suffer any quality loss."

That's answer #1 I'd like from you.

Question #2 is should I then drop her shots onto my 29.97 time line (will the 24 fps footage she's sent play okay on that timeline? or should I put the 29.97 footage and music on a 23.97 time line.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Feb 20, 2014 at 2:39:00 pm

ProRes should work just fine in Premiere on the PC, that has been my experience, but you do need the free QuickTime player installed to have the codec. If you do, and it still doesn't play, then I can't say what the problem might be.

As for mixing 29.97 and 24p (23.976?), that is your call. What makes up the majority of footage? I think that would make the determination for me, but I have no experience mixing those two. Either way, the two frame rates are going to have different "looks" to them. Do a few experiments and export samples and choose the what looks best to you.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]