ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Lost Audio In Premiere Pro. Total Audio Dropout. Ouch Deadline!!

COW Forums : PluralEyes

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Reuben Fink
Lost Audio In Premiere Pro. Total Audio Dropout. Ouch Deadline!!
on Jan 31, 2014 at 8:43:09 pm

I've posted on the Adobe forums but with no success. Here's what's happening:

Right in the middle of an edit the sound dropped out completely. I restarted the App but it was still the same on all my sequences. What's even more odd is that all the waveforms were gone but the original files were still being referenced and the audio would play fine in the source monitor just not the timeline. I then opened an autosave to find that the waveforms returned but still no audio on the timeline (no audio meters either). If I match framed a clip then performed an insert edit the sound for that clip would play again. Sounds like a fix. Wrong if I close the project and reopen then those files that are new on the timeline are muted also. Somehow every sequence is this way? Even in the autosaves?

TROUBLESHOOTING:
I've tried changing my audio hardware to 4 different sources.
Rebooted machine.
Imported the project into a completely fresh project with no results.
Exported an XML and imported into a fresh project SOL.
Reset PP preferences.
Deleted all Media Cache Files.
Updated from 7.1 to 7.2.1 - NOPE
And for the big finale. Did a full reinstall.
I also have tried opening the project on my other computer. Denied.
I exported a FCP/XML and tried to reimport that and got a "generic error." File import Failure message. And I've tried this with the autosaves too. Now I understand a project getting corrupted but each and every autosave?

One more test: I created a completely new project and imported just a sequence from the original project. That sequence came in and all the clips with it have audio stripped. No waveforms present. This is really bizarre. If I bring one of the original clips in from the finder and put it on the timeline there is audio until I save and reopen then that one clip does the exact same thing. If I open any other project besides this one the audio plays.

Can someone please give me insight into what's going on. BTW no tracks are muted manually this happened right in the middle of an edit and somehow effects all autosaved versions of this project. Any help is much appreciated since there is no way I can redo this in another edit package with the time I have left.

If I can't find a fix by tonight I will have to start from scratch. And it won't be in premiere this time.

Vid Specs
Canon 5d Mk2 Clips
Gh3 Quicktime Clips
Wav Files from Zoom h6 & Tascam MkII

My Specs:
Mac Pro 8 core 3,1 2x2.8 GHz
OSX 10.8.5
20 gig of ram - 17 reserved for PP
Premiere Pro 7.1
GTX 570 2.5 Gig of Ram

Audio Options:
Blackmagic Intensity Card
NI Audio Kontrol Sound Card
System Sound
Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 USB Headphones

OSX 10.8.5
Equipment: 2.8 ghz 8 core Intal Mac Pro 3,1 Early 2008, 20 gig of ram
Aps: Adobe CC , FCP Suite, Avid Media Composer

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
Re: Lost Audio In Premiere Pro. Total Audio Dropout. Ouch Deadline!!
on Jan 31, 2014 at 9:39:54 pm

Hi Reuben,
Sorry you didn't get any help in the forums. Can you give me a link to that post so I can see what has been tried so far.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Reuben Fink
on Jan 31, 2014 at 9:44:50 pm

Sure:
http://forums.adobe.com/message/6073270#6073270

You'll see I posted mostly the same info.

Just hardly any replies. I've been on the phone with a PP tech but he seemed confused as to the reason why it would be doing this. Then he told me he had a very important meeting he had to go to. Really?? Now I have to call back and start again with another one. This has been one of those days.

Thanks for checking into it.

OSX 10.8.5

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Jan 31, 2014 at 9:46:53 pm
Last Edited By Kevin Monahan on Jan 31, 2014 at 9:47:28 pm

Reuben,
Thanks! Did you, by any chance, use Plural Eyes in your workflow?

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Reuben Fink
on Jan 31, 2014 at 9:51:17 pm

As a matter of fact yes. The newest version.

OSX 10.8.5

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Jan 31, 2014 at 10:43:29 pm

Hi all,
Is it possible to sync your clips outside of PluralEyes?

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Reuben Fink
on Jan 31, 2014 at 11:08:57 pm

No not the way we shot. It was a conference with DSLRs no timecode. But plural eyes worked it's usual magic. It would be nearly impossible without it. The thing is that it worked fine for a whole day which means I didn't know there was an issue and I got deep into the edit. The tech I talked to suggested that if you choose the plugin through Premiere instead of bringing in the clips by themselves into PE that there shouldn't be a problem. We hope but I don't know if I can trust it. What are your thoughts.

For my current issue he showed me that I could get the audio back by importing the project into After Effects then back to Premiere. I'll see if that works to at least retain my edits. I just looked at it briefly when it came in and it seemed like a mess but I'll spend a little time with it and report back.

But most importantly why would it effect other sequences that had nothing to do with pluraleyes?

OSX 10.8.5

Return to posts index

Marcin Grabos
on Feb 1, 2014 at 12:05:54 am

Perhaps is not best solution to solve the problem, but if you under time pressure, you could download trial of Premiere CS6, and export/import FCP xml project (importing CC project to CS6 probably won't work).

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Feb 1, 2014 at 12:19:40 am

Hi Reuben,

Here's a possible workaround:

• Import the Project file into After Effects

• Export as a Premiere Pro project

• Open the project in Premiere Pro.

• Audio will be unlinked.

• Relink the audio files.

See if that works for you.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

James Kumorek
on Feb 1, 2014 at 2:17:48 pm

Just a shot in the dark -- select the clip, go to the Clip menu, pick Audio Options, and then pick Render and Replace. Does the newly created audio file have audio content and play?

Return to posts index

Reuben Fink
on Feb 1, 2014 at 4:11:33 pm

Thanks James. We did try that with but it didn't work. The only thing that I have had success with is roundtripping it through After Effects. This seems to bring the audio back. I would have never thought of this workaround but thanks to the tech at adobe and Kevin's suggestions I had success with it. Whatever happened between PluralEyes and Premiere Pro wound up corrupting the project and autosaves. So much so that if I even imported that new "AE to Premiere" roundtripped project into the old project then those new sequences got corrupted too. So I had to only work with a fresh export from AE to PP. So far everything is running like normal. Hopefully it stays that way.

OSX 10.8.5

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Feb 1, 2014 at 6:45:10 pm

Glad to see you have a solution. I sync DSLR shoots all the time inside PPro using Synchronize and audio. I create multicam clips from interviews shot with 2 or 3 cameras and a separate source audio recorder pretty regularly. Select the clips in the bin and select Creative Multicam Sequence, choose audio as the sync method and everything comes out good.

Return to posts index

Reuben Fink
on Feb 1, 2014 at 8:45:16 pm

I too use this approach for interviews in PP. This is easier of course in controlled environments. Not with our shoot. In my situation we were doing a multicam shoot at a conference that spanned 2 hours. We are talking at least over 50 clips total. This would have been almost impossible to sync all these cams in adobe in a reasonable time since you have to do them one by one. Plural Eyes did it in 10 minutes. That's incredible if you think about. That's without a single clip out of alignment. Then I just turn that sequence into a multicam sequence and we're good to go. Of course there's this massive compatibility issue I ran into. In the future if PP and PluralEyes never figured out a fix for XML import I would still choose to use PluralEyes and just round-tripping it through AE first. Which at this point is working fine.

Return to posts index

Jocelyn Jacobs
on Jun 22, 2014 at 10:42:40 pm

I just started using PP and am having the same issue. Import with PE and everything seems to be fine. After working on the project a few times (i.e. opening and closing it a few times) I opened it and the audio files are all blank. No waveform. I just started the project but it's large and I can' re-do the work again if something like this keeps happening - so I'm not going to use PP. I just wanted to add my experience and bulk up the amount of complaints on this issue. I'll be calling PP as well.

Return to posts index

Matthew Robson
on Jul 21, 2014 at 7:17:59 am

I've just had exactly the same experience. The strangest thing is that the audio works fine and then suddenly drops out. I thought that I had a hardware failure as I was mid-edit when it went. Adobe support very nice but couldn't fix the problem.

Pluraleyes should have a huge disclaimer that it doesn't work with premiere pro.

I have now missed a deadline for an important client as this bug has meant having to start completely again on FCP without Pluraleyes. I've also had to work all weekend just to get the client something by monday.

I'm pretty annoyed that Red Giant releases software, at a pro-level pricing, that not only doesn't work but even more frustratingly works for a bit and then mysteriously drops out. It has also screwed the audio on the same project for another edit.

Red Giant need to sort this out.

Return to posts index

Jocelyn Jacobs
on Jul 21, 2014 at 2:36:56 pm

This happened to me. I was extremely frustrated. The new update is supposed to have fixed the bug but it did not. The first person I talked to at Adobe couldn't help, but the second person took control of my computer and did a number of things. The first was exporting the project as an XML and re-importing it. Then he had to reassign all the audio channels to channel one. Then I had to go through all the clips and set the audio volume to 0 as it had reverted back to -infinity. Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Matthew Robson
on Jul 21, 2014 at 2:47:27 pm

Thanks! We tried most of this bit to no avail. Red giant really dropping the ball on this one... :( would be good to know from them what's going wrong and how to avoid it as some people are obviously using it without any dramas.

Return to posts index

Jocelyn Jacobs
on Jul 21, 2014 at 3:08:42 pm

I think those people aren't using Plural Eyes - as Adobe knows it is a bug between Premiere and Plural Eyes. But yes, it would be great to know what is going on!

Return to posts index

Peter Sasowsky
on Sep 3, 2014 at 4:48:41 pm

I'm not convinced this is a pluraleyes problem only. I just setup a new computer with Premiere CC2014 and brought in a project that was begun in Premiere CC. No audio in the sequence! What the heck? Luckily I still have old laptop and can finish the edit there, but really, does Adobe not know about this?

Return to posts index

Stu Mannion
on Sep 24, 2016 at 3:11:28 am

Want to say thanks!

I was having problems with audio missing from a XML import into premiere from FCP7. As you suggested I opened the PP project in AE and then exported it as a PP project...

... and the audio was back!

Saved my ass.

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]