ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

weird MXF behavior in CC

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
weird MXF behavior in CC
on Jan 29, 2014 at 1:59:53 pm

I use a lot of MPEG2 footage (.MXF) from a Canon XF300 and I never had issues before with this. I just imported some .MXF files from a shoot and I created a sequence with all clips. The whole shoot was about 30 min long and the camera was stopped only once towards the end, so my first part is split into 6 parts on the card, each just over 5 min long. When I bring them on the timeline they appear to have about 30 min each and in the source window I can see the full 30 min no maqtter which one of the 6 parts I drag in. When I delete 5 of them and render out only one (which appears to give me the full 30 min on the timeline and in playback preview) I get a 15 min clip...?!? I have never encountered this in CS 5.5 or CS 6. Anybody experienced this before?
Adobe CC (latest updates) on Windows 7 Ultimate 64, sp1, Canon xf300 footage- MPEG2 (.MXF files) 1280x720, 50Mbps, 25p.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
Re: weird MXF behavior in CC
on Jan 29, 2014 at 3:55:35 pm

Import the clips through the Media Browser or Prelude.

I get the same thing with my XF100. Don't bring in the individual files. Let the software do the spanning/assembly work.

Return to posts index

Thomas Nord
on Jan 29, 2014 at 6:25:25 pm

As Paul suggested, using the Media Browser is probably the best way to bring in your spanned clips. However the part that I'm curious about here is that you get a 15 minute clip when starting with a 30 minute source. Can you please elaborate more on your workflow there and what preset you are using?

Thanks,

Tom

Return to posts index

Andre Trinidad
on Jan 31, 2014 at 12:52:49 am

I'm having the same problem as Ted. I'm using Adobe Premiere CC, latest updates, shooting with a Canon XF300. I noticed this problem started back in OCT 2013. I imported my footage in the Project window, by right clicking "import". I have tried it two ways.

1. I selected all of the video files in the bottom folder. (AA1422). So it included .XML, .CIF, and .SIF. I drag the entire accepted video files onto my Sequence. (I get the window saying that some of the video files were not able to import). When I look on the timeline, in the new sequence, I see duplicates of my footage. The total length should've been about 1 hour but instead the whole timeline is about 6 hours. Which isn't too bad when I'm doing B-Roll footage but for a straight Interview it sucks.

2. I tried importing through Media browser (for some reason I don't like using it…) but I got the same results.

So I am not a fan of clip spanning. Is there a way to turn it off? Or any suggestions about what Ted and I are experience?

Thank your for your time.

Return to posts index

Thomas Nord
on Jan 31, 2014 at 5:58:23 am

The best way to add spanned media is using the Media Browser. If you are seeing more than one copy of a spanned clip in the Media Browser either it is not detecting the media properly as being spanned or there is some other issue. Could you post a screenshot of what the media looks like when you browse to it in the Media Browser?

Return to posts index

Andie Moonie
on Feb 3, 2014 at 7:29:41 am

As previous posters said always use media browser and not the import command. However, I have noticed an issue when trying to use footage on the NAS storage device with it jumbling up the clips with spanned footage. As long as footage is local (External USB seems ok too) it never gives me any problems.

Andie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]