ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Find Parent / Master / Source of Subclip

COW Forums : PluralEyes

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Matthew Mammola
Find Parent / Master / Source of Subclip
on Jan 16, 2014 at 1:45:54 am

I have a series of subclips in my Premiere Project File. A large project with lots of clips and subclips.

I would like to find the master clip that each of these subclips came from.

How can I find what the source of the selected subclip is?

I know that I can edit the subclip timecode to expand it. I don't want to do that. I want to find the parent clip.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
Re: Find Parent / Master / Source of Subclip
on Jan 16, 2014 at 1:38:10 pm

You cannot use Reveal in Project because that will bring you to the subclip but you could use Reveal in Explorer. That will give you the name of the clip. Which you can back trace in the search box of the Project Window.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Jan 16, 2014 at 5:22:38 pm
Last Edited By Paul Neumann on Jan 16, 2014 at 5:40:36 pm

Logging and subclipping in Prelude really helps keep all this straight. Subclips are pre-pended (if you'd like) with the source clip name and both can be brought over to Premiere in separate folders.

That being said you can right click on the subclip and view its Properties to see its source.

Return to posts index

Matthew Mammola
on Jan 16, 2014 at 6:45:13 pm

Thanks, both of you!

The "Reveal in Explorer" option or "Properties" info and then searching in the Project based on that seems to be the best way for what I've got going on. More cumbersome that I would like, but it does work.

@Paul Newman I am not too familiar with the Prelude workflow, though I do know that the benefits are pretty great. Do you happen to know if it's feasible to use Prelude once you've already categorized within a Premiere Project?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Jan 16, 2014 at 7:31:51 pm

You can log, ingest and transfer from Prelude at any time. It starts in Prelude though. That's where the metadata gets added and it follows the clip into PPro. So if I mark 3 subclips on a single clip in Prelude and then import that clip into PPro I'll get the source clip and the 3 subs.

Return to posts index

Carolyn Lecorre
on Jun 24, 2014 at 10:31:06 pm

Hi Paul,

Just to continue with this topic. I'm new to Premiere. Was forced to switch from FCP 7 to it because of the camera we're using for the series I'm editing.

I use subclips like crazy and in FCP 7 could jump from subclip to Master clip super easily. Reconnecting subclips was so easy as it just meant relinking the master clip.

I followed the advice you posted above to start my project with Prelude. I did all my subclips in Prelude and then moved to Premiere. Because of a major problem with the on camera sound, we had to re-sync the audio recorded by our soundperson to the footage. Now I'm finding myself having to relink each subclip in my timeline one by one, rather than relinking the master clip so that all subclips get relinked at once. It's really tedious. I'm wondering what I did wrong in Prelude for me being forced to do this. Perhaps missing meta data? (I've already googled my topic with no answer to my issue.

Another work around is renaming the synced video file exported by Pluraleyes (the name is a combo of the video file name and the .wav file name), but that's not a the best solution and also takes a lot of time.

Thanks for the help,

Return to posts index

Michael Worth
on Oct 31, 2015 at 2:24:17 am

Hi Guys,

If you import the project containing the sub-clip for which you are looking for the parent into After Effects, then After Effects identifies the parent clip and reveals it's name under the file path.

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]