ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere Pro CC bug??? title in title window displays as completely different title on timeline

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Natteau
Premiere Pro CC bug??? title in title window displays as completely different title on timeline
on Dec 23, 2013 at 4:28:14 am

Not sure if this has anything to do with reported bugs in the 7.1 update, but I've tried several times to lay subtitles on track V2 and after a couple titles, Premiere Pro causes them to display in the wrong order on the timeline.

What's really bizarre is if I double click my title to open it up, it says one thing in the title window and something completely different on the timeline.

I started creating a bunch of subtitles for a war documentary using the title window in PPCC.
For example Title 07 reads: "to the point their faces were covered in blood" in the title window
But the very same Title 07 shows up on the timeline as "that's when for the first time I realized" (these are the words belonging to Title 08).

I've tried everything I can think of: redoing the subtitles from scratch, restarting Premiere Pro, restarting my macbook pro, and I'm running the latest version of Mavericks and PPCC. I just don't want to have to pay a professional facility to do subtitles that I can easily do myself. But I haven't found any good subtitling programs, so I was really hoping I could rely on Premiere Pro's built in titler to do my subtitles.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. And I'd like to know if anyone else has encountered this issue of titles showing up as the next title rather than the current title on the timeline.

Return to posts index

Larry Asbell
Re: Premiere Pro CC bug??? title in title window displays as completely different title on timeline
on Dec 23, 2013 at 11:51:40 pm

This is, believe it or not, the way it is supposed to work. If you want the next title to be different, you option drag the first title to the next location and that will break the link. Or you can use the New Title button in the upper left of the Text Tool to make a title that is not linked. I can't imagine what someone was thinking but Premiere's been this way for many version, probably since the beginning. Why would the very rare case of wanting duped titles to mirror changes in the other be the default behavior?

Return to posts index

Nick Natteau
Re: Premiere Pro CC bug??? title in title window displays as completely different title on timeline
on Dec 24, 2013 at 1:51:35 am

Hi Larry,

This is driving me insane. Because I'm doing it that way but still encountering the same issue. I am option dragging and releasing, but seeing the same duplicated title. If I have to create each subtitle from scratch that will take so much longer: altering the font size, color, location on screen, every single time for each subtitle. I hope to God there's another workaround. Otherwise what should take minutes will end up taking an hours. I can't believe this hasn't been improved.
Premiere Pro is an amazing program, so much better than it used to be. I just wish subtitling were less cumbersome.

The weird thing is the same subtitle shows two completely different lines according to what part of the subtitle has been rendered on the render bar. Please see this other post I made on the issue here on Adobe's forum:

Premiere Pro titling bug???

Return to posts index

Nick Natteau
on Dec 24, 2013 at 1:53:17 am

Not sure why that link didn't work but here it is again:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5953301#5953301

Premiere Pro titling bug

Return to posts index

Larry Asbell
on Dec 24, 2013 at 5:52:05 pm

In Premiere, making a series of unique titles based on the first one is possible but is so error prone it is awful. Several ways that ought to work, don't or are extremely convoluted.

However you seem to be saying option-drag is not working at all and I can't say why that is. When I option drag to copy an existing title in the timeline, the copy has "Copy 01" added to the name. That tells me that the copy is unlinked and can be edited without affecting the original. Maybe you should skip trying to renaming the copy. In the timeline, just option-drag to copy, position the playhead over the copy, the double click on the copy, modify the text, and close the Text Tool.

Return to posts index

Nick Natteau
on Dec 26, 2013 at 3:49:50 pm

Thank you for your feedback Larry. Actually now that I'm option dragging it is working. But I'll follow your advice and probably stop renaming them, that maybe causing an issue, not sure. I guess I'll just end up with a lot of "...copy of copy of copy" but that's ok.

I do wish Adobe would update and improve that part of PPCC. If it were only as simple as it were in FCP7 - being able to copy and paste and then modify is a no brainer. Something as basic as adding text on V2 shouldn't have to be so complex. Oh well, keeping my fingers crossed that Adobe will improve on this.

Return to posts index

Michael Scholz
on Apr 4, 2015 at 3:06:18 am

This issue is still NOT fixed by Adobe. It makes me look like a fool in front of my costumer. I have to produce a ton of titles and they acting just weird.

For example. I duplicate a title, Adobe gives it a new naming. For example "Title copy 1". After I replace the text everything works fine in the preview. After I exported the clip the export shows errors and starts to reference the old title with the new title. It's just a mess. I really enjoy working in PP but paying such a lot of money for a non working titler is not acceptable.

Return to posts index

Virgil K. Reed
on Dec 26, 2013 at 11:01:27 pm

When you say "option drag" is that a mac command? I'm on pc and I'm not familiar with that technique.
Thanks,
Virgil

Return to posts index

Nick Natteau
on Dec 27, 2013 at 12:48:40 am

Yes, sorry Virgil, forgot to mention that's a mac command. I'm on a macbook pro.

Return to posts index

Virgil K. Reed
on Dec 27, 2013 at 1:12:16 am

Any idea what the pc version is? I'd really like to try what yall are talking about.
THanks,
Virgil

Return to posts index

Larry Asbell
on Dec 27, 2013 at 3:16:48 am

Should be Alt/Drag.

Return to posts index

Justin Crowell
on Jul 19, 2014 at 3:41:59 am

Just to add to this much later...it does indeed appear to be a bug. Here's what I'm doing:
I'm having a similar problem to this and it's basically making the titler useless for me.

I have four subtitles.

I build one, and try duplicating it in the following ways:

1) alt-drag on timeline
2) duplicate in browser

I then edit and rename it. If it's in the browser, I drag it to the timeline.

With the titler closed and the current time indicator over the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th title in the timeline: it shows the current title superimposed on top of the original one. When I double click to edit the title, it only shows the current one. Dragging the current time indicator back and forth causes it to glitch--the background title disappears and reappears. when I render, the playback has that glitch as well.

I'm using GPU acceleration on a last gen Mac Pro.

-J

Editor, Producer, DP
JustinCrowell.com

Return to posts index

Ht Davis
on Apr 4, 2015 at 8:54:10 am

Here's what I see happening:
you are duping a clip linked to a file in your project panel. The original and the dupe point to the same file in the panel and get their info from that file. Every clip in a timeline has an original file linked to it (a linkage modifier that points to the file on disk or an image made in the program like a title). THIS IS NOT A BUG. You dupe the title in the timeline when you want it to play again or longer (you just duplicated a clip, genius, not a file). You dupe the title in the project panel when you want the same style etc, but maybe a different message or duration. You can then edit that new title, and drag it to your timeline as a new title, a new clip, a new file.

IF you want to make titles quickly:
Using a word document, type the lines as you want them to appear, bear in mind the size of your screen. When you want to go to a new title, place a section break. Leave a hard return above the titles and below.
Save the doc and open indesign, create a document the size of your video frame. You should be able to import your titles from that word doc. Go to the master, set your style, type-face, font etc. Set this as a layer all its own and call it text. Make a new layer below that one called background and fill it with 50% grey, telling the program not to print it (it will be an alpha channel, invisible). Apply the master to your pages. Boom. Done. Export the entirety to a PNG with alpha, at your desired resolution, and place in a special folder named titles, give them a -0 at the end of the name you enter. They will all be numbered, but you may want to add a 1 to the end of the name on the first one (it doesn't write the "1" for you on some systems). Now drag the whole folder into your premiere project. You now have all your titles.

Stop calling a cherished function a bug.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]