ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

time remapping 120fps gopro footage

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Willian Praniski
time remapping 120fps gopro footage
on Dec 5, 2013 at 4:55:37 pm

hi, soo, let's say i have some 120fps footage from my go pro.
now, i want to time remap between real time and some slowmotions.

however, if i have a 30fps timeline i have to interpret all my 120fps footage to 30fps (so i matches the timeline right?!)
now, if i do that, my whole clip is slowed down. because it's playing a 120fps at 30fps.

so the question is: how do i make it play real time and then slow it down? without having to duplicate the clip?? (if that's possible)

thanks

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
Re: time remapping 120fps gopro footage
on Dec 5, 2013 at 5:10:11 pm

There are a number of ways of dealing with this, but the easiest and best way is a plugin called Twixtor:

http://www.revisionfx.com/products/twixtor/

But it costs a little money. Worth every penny though. You can reconform to all kinds of frame rates without worrying about pulldown issues etc, and it ramps very nicely for special effects, slow motion etc

Return to posts index

Willian Praniski
on Dec 5, 2013 at 5:16:40 pm

yeah, i totally forgot to mention. i have twixtor and my intention is to use it on the clips as well.

what i don't quite understand is: when i drop my 'interpreted' 120fps to 30fps footage on a 30fps timeline the whole clip is slowed down.
so, how can i have some a mix of real time footage (120fps dropping frames to be at 30fps) and at the same time add some slowmotion with twixtor??

am i going to need to interpret my 120fps footage or should i just drop them into a 30fps timeline without interpreting?

Return to posts index

Chris Pettit
on Dec 5, 2013 at 5:26:05 pm

[Willian Praniski] "what i don't quite understand is: when i drop my 'interpreted' 120fps to 30fps footage on a 30fps timeline the whole clip is slowed down."

Assuming you're using AE, don't reinterpret the footage on the way in. Import it as 120fps, drop it into your 30fps comp, tell twitor what the native "input frame rate" is (120) and then twixtor will automatically re-render new frames at the frame rate of the comp it exists in (30fps). Assuming I understand your challenge that should do it

[Willian Praniski] "so, how can i have some a mix of real time footage (120fps dropping frames to be at 30fps) and at the same time add some slowmotion with twixtor??"

What I usually do is is drop footage in the same manner I just described and then work with the speed value after that to move up or down relative to the parent rate of 30fps.

Return to posts index

Willian Praniski
on Dec 5, 2013 at 5:35:10 pm

ohhh, believe i got it now. i didn't know i could tell twixtor my native input frame rate. that makes more sense.

also, i'm using premiero pro. i just realized i posted this on the 'icloud' thread. i'm sorry. i meant to click on the premiero pro thread.

thanks a lot Chris. you're awesome.

Return to posts index

Aviv Zidkiya
on Dec 3, 2014 at 10:59:56 am

if you edit on premiere don't use twixtor, make it easy:
after dragging the footage to timeline (defined as 24/25/30fps) right click on the footage from within the timeline, go to "speed/duration" and slow it down, then change the keyframe display to speed and play with it as you normally would in time remapping

Return to posts index

Sai Kelly
on Feb 21, 2015 at 10:59:13 pm

See Aviv, that's what i would have done. Some of the slowed footage i've seen though ends up being a little "choppy" is this why people are using twixtor? Twixtor has a few undesired distorions in it depending on the motion within the frame.

Return to posts index

Aviv Zidkiya
on Feb 22, 2015 at 12:36:19 am

it gets choppy if you dont setup your timeline as a normal frame rate timeline (24/25/30). otherwise maybe your computer can't handle it...
people use twixtor whenever they want to slow down footage that can't be slowed naturally

Return to posts index

Sai Kelly
on Feb 22, 2015 at 2:48:55 pm

Oh ok, so if i import the footage into a 25fps timeline which is what i have always done and then just use the speed/time values properties to manipulate the speed of the clip, (ramping etc) it wont be choppy? There are a lot of people using GoPro's Cineform, After Effects or another compression stage first before importing it into Premiere Pro, or "interpreting" footage in AE or PP etc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]