ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Diagonal Gray Stripes on my clips (not offline)

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Sproul
Diagonal Gray Stripes on my clips (not offline)
on Oct 17, 2013 at 8:49:43 pm

When I reopened my Premiere Project file, and I relinked all of my footage. Some of my clips in my timeline sequence had diagonal gray stripes over them and I could view them in the source monitor but not in the timeline monitor. None of the footage is offline, it just won't play on the timeline monitor for some reason. Help please.

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
Re: Diagonal Gray Stripes on my clips (not offline)
on Oct 17, 2013 at 8:59:56 pm

Those are called "danger stripes" indicating that the track item is linked to a piece of media that doesn't actually have audio or video that long.

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Steven Sproul
on Oct 17, 2013 at 9:02:09 pm

Is there a way to get rid of them so that I can see my media in the timeline again?

Return to posts index

Chris Gunningham
on Oct 17, 2013 at 9:08:40 pm

Cut your clip before the point where it runs out of media. You may have relinked to a shorter clip or retimed the clip. Difficult to say without more information.

Chris Gunningham
Online/VFX Editor

Any opinions expressed are solely my own.

Return to posts index

Steven Sproul
on Oct 17, 2013 at 9:45:49 pm

Thank you for everyone's help. I just found out the problem. When I had originally edited my footage, I modified the clips that I wanted to be in slow motion and when I relinked everything later, the footage was in slow motion so I had re-modify all of the clips and that fixed it

Return to posts index

Paul Carder
on Dec 19, 2014 at 12:03:23 pm

That's sadly not the case in this instance.

I've just opened a trimmed project that I archived a month ago to re-version. All of the video clips have the diagonal lines across them and there's no way the clips are too short as I didn't archive with handles.

I've found two solutions, or should I say 'work-arounds'....

1) What I'm doing is right-clicking on each of the 'supposedly offline' clips on my timeline, and 'revealing in project'. Then I copy that clip (to clipboard), and then return to the clip on the timeline, and 'replace with clip>from bin' and that relinks it, so you can see it in your source monitor.

Luckily I'm only re-linking a promo, and not long-form.

2) Failing that, I've just done a test where I've archived my trimmed project to my local HD, rather than remotely to external storage. I don't get the diagonal lines! Hooray

Looks like a big that needs to be fixed. I hope someone out there benefits from this!

Return to posts index

Malcolm Wright
on Mar 29, 2018 at 5:13:43 am

"1) What I'm doing is right-clicking on each of the 'supposedly offline' clips on my timeline, and 'revealing in project'. Then I copy that clip (to clipboard), and then return to the clip on the timeline, and 'replace with clip>from bin' and that relinks it, so you can see it in your source monitor."

This saved me. THANK YOU!

"Looks like a big that needs to be fixed. I hope someone out there benefits from this!"

Yes, well 4 years later, it doesn't seem to have been resolved. Arrg...

Return to posts index

Craig Lambie
on Sep 10, 2015 at 6:11:58 am

Hi CC members,
I have a similar issue to this, I was hoping someone could help me, and save me re-doing all the cut's I did on this Multi Cam shoot.

As you can see, I have a 3 cam shoot, that I am doing a multi-cam on in Adobe Premiere CC 2015.

I have the "danger stripes" on the audio portion of the Multi-cam, and I can see what happened, I think anyway - Cam 1 file 2, 3 and 4 dropped off at some point from the BIN, as I have re-added them, and resynced them in the Multi-cam Seq.
Now however, in my cut up final output sequence, I cannot get the Audio back for this Cam, which was my Primary Audio camera :(

Hoping someone can help me with "danger stripes" recovery work around on a Multi Cam project?
Thoughts? Experts?

Return to posts index

Adam Carrel
on Feb 3, 2016 at 10:40:25 am

I've had this problem and had some success in resolving it. I had XDCAM-EX footage, a 4 hour clip to be exact. The file structure is so that the clip is split up every 4gb into separate files. I made the offending file offline, and then used the 'link media' option to link it to one of the other files that makes up the 4 hour clip. This worked for me. I think maybe even just making the file offline and then linking it back to itself may work.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 17, 2013 at 9:08:20 pm

[Steven Sproul] "When I reopened my Premiere Project file, and I relinked all of my footage. Some of my clips in my timeline sequence had diagonal gray stripes over them and I could view them in the source monitor but not in the timeline monitor."

It sounds like when you relinked, you relinked at least one clip to the wrong media file. Now the edit is not pointing to the right media, and at least some of them have insufficient media.

You need to identify everything that was incorrectly relinked (possibly more than just the ones with the danger stripes), find the correct media files, and re-link correctly.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

tad newberry
on Sep 2, 2014 at 7:14:11 pm

same problem here. short of going to back to reloading the project again and doing all the relinking that way (the thing it asks you to do upon launch when clips have moved), isn't there a way from within the sequence to right clip on the diagonally striped clip and re-link? if so, i do not see that option...

thanks for helping out a bonehead!

FCS3 / Adobe CC
3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro
24GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5870
...and a few TeraBytes o' storage
(then it's on to PetaBytes, ExaBytes and MosquitoBytes!)

Return to posts index

jean-louis
on Sep 4, 2014 at 3:46:51 pm

Same problem for me.
Re-opening a project done last month, i got some 'danger stripes' in some part of my timeline.
I haven't move or change the source clips (MXF files coming from a Canon C300. I have tried the replace command, relinking to the same clips without succes.
I have also tried to delete the rendered files to force the refresh without any result.
I am working with a PC, Premiere PRO CC and a collegue has exacly the same problem today with his MAC on another project making us think this is maybe related to a recent Adobe update ?

Return to posts index

andreas yannakopoulos
on Sep 15, 2014 at 5:00:56 pm

Had you interpreted any of your clips to another frame rate than they one they were shot?

I had the same issue on some clips that were shot at 50fps.
I found the clips in my bin and I right clicked + Modify/ Interpret Footage/ Assume this frame rate (in my case was 25fps). The stripes were gone and my edit got back to normal.

Hope this helps,
Andreas

Return to posts index

Paul Carder
on Dec 19, 2014 at 12:10:55 pm

I've found two solutions, or should I say 'work-arounds'....

I've just opened a trimmed project that I archived a month ago to re-version. All of the video clips have the diagonal lines across them and there's no way the clips are too short as I didn't archive with handles.

I've found a very tedious and painful work-around, but I do suggest that Adobe look at this, as the Project Manager isn't reliable at all.

What I'm doing is right-clicking on each of the clips on my timeline, and 'revealing in project'. Then I copy that clip, and then return to the clip on the timeline, and 'replace with clip>from bin' and that relinks it, so you can see it in your source monitor.

Luckily I'm only re-linking a promo, and not long-form.

Failing that, I've just done a test where I've archived my trimmed project to my local HD, rather than remotely to external storage. I don't get the diagonal lines! Hooray

Looks like a big that needs to be fixed.

Return to posts index

Colby Blanchet
on Jan 21, 2015 at 2:57:03 am

Also experienced this with FS700 footage.

I had three cards imported into the project

Card 1
Card 2
Card 3

Instead of each card carrying a unique name, Card 1, 2, and 3 all began with MTS 000, MTS 001, 002 Etc,

So when relinking media, be careful that your names aren't the same, otherwise those gray stripes will haunt you.

Return to posts index

Mark Norgate
on Feb 9, 2015 at 11:42:10 am

Did you guys definitely have 'preserve interpreted footage settings' selected when you relinked? If not, it will forget all the frame rate changes you've made and leave empty blocks of media once the clips have reverted to their original frame rates.

Return to posts index

Robert Appleton
on Mar 2, 2015 at 2:24:50 am

I have a similar and maybe worse problem - my one and only copy of a 7.17 GB 20 minute file is still where I left it on my external hard drive. It still reads 7.17 GB, but now it's only 9 seconds long (when I click and play it), and it has the grey stripes. When I try to replace it in Premiere it has a much shorter bar – which could make me think it has been overwritten. However I don't think I overwrote it. And I've no idea what might have happened. Any thoughts? solutions?

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Robert Appleton
on Mar 2, 2015 at 5:43:13 am

More info: Strangely, I copy the file and open it in VLC. Now it plays but it does not show the play position timeline (it's always hovering at the right end of the screen) even though the time continues normally (now at over 8 minutes and counting). So is there something I can do now to reset the preview – or allow it to indicate where it is in the stream? I hope this is clear... In any case I'm much relieved to see much more of the film present than it seemed at first... So heart attack avoided, and any thoughts, much appreciated...

Return to posts index

Robert Appleton
on Mar 3, 2015 at 4:42:55 am

Any thoughts on this? I've never seen anything like it.

My movie is 7 GB. The subject is a screen capture of my live visual music performance using Max/MSP software to manipulate video. It's on DropBox here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4iznfsax95gc17r/emoti_array.mov?dl=0

In Premiere it now shows with diagonal grey stripes. When I copy and replace it from the bin nothing changes. When I play it with Quicktime it runs for only 9 seconds and stops. When I play it in VLC it runs full length over 30 minutes. The only problem is the play head will not scroll through the movie – after the first 9 seconds, it sits at the right hand edge of the frame as the movie plays. And I also think it has dropped frames.

So is this fixable? And how? If so, I think I can re-import it into Premiere and get back to work.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
on Mar 4, 2015 at 10:41:02 pm

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing Robert!

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Ruben Contreras
on Mar 5, 2015 at 9:55:43 pm

I had the same issue, half of my clips had danger stripes when i imported my XML from Resolve. All i had to do was replace the clips with the media stripes with the clips from the bin and wallaaa. It worked fine afterwards. I can see how this can be a issue when you have tons of clips and have to do this manually. Anyone find out why some clips come in with these stripes from Resolve?

Return to posts index

David Josh Belga
on Dec 7, 2015 at 5:05:54 am

I had the same problem with you sir, when my edits are in Resolve via xml and color correct then export then link on my proj file.. I have some danger stripes also.. I found a solution.. by changing the export settings on resolve and set them to unique files.. (btw im exporting per cut) so after rendering, I just drag and drop all the exported clips from resolve to my premiere. no more linking just drag them on my timeline.. I put them on my upper layers so i still have my raw clips under.. hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Chris Walsh
on Feb 11, 2016 at 6:50:35 pm

This is a problem that has been plaguing me off and on for the last six months, all on projects consolidated via Project Manager.

It has something to do with clip spanning and how the clips were originally imported (or how PPro names the imports).

All my footage is C500 MXF interview footage, usually spanning a couple of separate, sequentially named files (e.g. TP04501, 4502, 4503) which may appear in the timeline only as the first file number.

When project manager consolidates and copies, it only copies the first of the spanned files, so when I reopen the project I get danger stripes in many sections (because the media isn't there). My low-fi solution is to consolidate, then manually copy the full MXF folder, delete the consolidated mxf files, open and re-link. It is far from elegant, but achieves what I need, a stripped down archive of only the necessary elements for archive. It is a huge pain in the neck though.

Chris Walsh

http://www.musicfog.com
Silver Spring, MD
Premiere Pro CC, FC7 & AVID
Former Windows diehard and edit*or

Return to posts index

Curtis Taitt
on Dec 5, 2016 at 7:28:53 pm

Happenned to me. Opened my project and 2/3 of the clips and audio had the stripes over them. What I did to fix is to make any clip with the stripes offline and then relink to the right clip (with some selecting the folder isn't enough you have to actually go right to the exact file to choose). It turns out for some reason the clips were linking to an xml file which was telling premiere the clips were in a folder that didn't exist so then premiere was linking to a different folder I had with single clips i had exported to colour grade.
For example my project folder > another folder > project folder >file.xml whereas the actual path was my project folder > another folder > videoclip.mov

Hope this helps someone as I thought I was going to have to re cut my files.

Return to posts index

Alexandra Barlow
on Mar 9, 2017 at 3:25:26 am

I had a similar issue and none of the responses worked for me. I tried something new that worked for my short Instagram sequence, but did not work for my full length multicam sequence.

This is how I fixed the short Instagram sequence: Without any in's and outs, I highlighted all of the assets in the sequence and I exported as an xml.
I imported the new xml and it worked, the clips were restored!

I still haven't found a way to fix my multicam sequence, so I am just making a new sequence and resyncing it all. Luckily I hadn't started working on that one yet. I feel like it is a separate issue because in my multicam sequence all of the clips have the lines at the end of them. The short one minute Instagram sequence only had three clips with the issue. However, I did notice a difference in the clips. In the Instagram sequence, the diagonal lines went through the full clip it was on. In the long multicam sequence it only went through the ends or part of the clips.

Hope this helps! If anyone knows of another way, please share.

Return to posts index

Tiffany Moore
on Oct 30, 2017 at 10:05:09 pm

I had the problem of diagonal grey bars too and discovered it was because of relinking media with duplicate filenames. I have several folders with the file GoPro013 and when I relinked the clips in my timeline, PP found GoPro013 from folder X when it should have been in folder Y.

To fix, from the project bin, right click > Replace Footage and navigate to the correct file location.

Return to posts index

Tom Laughlin
on Apr 18, 2019 at 2:23:51 pm

I have found an very easy solution that worked for me - to get rid of your danger stripes, and do this without all sorts of linking and relinking by copying files or moving files over.

1. When you open the edit like this example, often times, this window pops up, and notice all of the default boxes below are "checked":

2. You click "Locate", and you navigate to whre your media is located, then hit connect media, and this is what you see now:

CRAP! Now what?! You see all these danger lines huh? Well, it is because Premiere is trying to use default settings to interpret your media's TIME-CODES, not your actual MEDIA FILES or FRAME-RATES. This is easy to fix. Let's fix it.

3. Go back and re-open your project, liek we did before, see here. But this time, UNCHECK these boxes: "align time-code", "Preserve interpret footage settings", and "file extension". Click "locate", navigate to your media, and simply relink the media.

4. Once you open your project, the project will ignore what it wants to default your time-codes to, which can be incorrectly interpreted. Rather, you tell Premiere to revert to the time-code that you had originally established. This fixes the clip's time-code placement, where the clip's time-code is on the timeline and the in and out points.

Hope this helps you all, as it worked for me.

Thanks,

Tom Laughlin
Adobe Certified Expert
Premiere Pro CC
Salt Lake City, Utah
tlaughlin@digitalchophouse.com

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Salt Lake City, Utah
digitalchophouse.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>