ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Auto Save Time Increment Inconsistencies

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Brady
Auto Save Time Increment Inconsistencies
on Sep 13, 2013 at 5:09:49 pm

In Adobe Premiere Pro, I have set the Auto Save preference to save every 5 minutes. In a project that was open for 3 hours (sometimes inactive, sometimes actively being used), I notice in the log of auto save files that the auto save timing is sporadic and not always in the requested 5-minute increments (see link to image below). In fact, there is one span of 15 minutes ...which can be a large amount of work when dealing with 30-second commercial television production.

I see auto save happening sometimes while I'm working on a project, so I am curious -- What specific activity delays the auto save function?

http://images.creativecow.net/u/135977/autosavelist.jpg

James Brady
Senior Editor
Results Video, Inc.
El Paso, Texas
http://www.resultsvideo.com

Return to posts index

James Brady
Re: Auto Save Time Increment Inconsistencies
on Sep 13, 2013 at 5:54:40 pm

UPDATE--I got this answer from Adobe:
-------------------------------------------------
Auto-Save only runs in an 'unsaved' Project.
Also, Premiere does not Auto-Save when in the background,regardless whether the Project is 'unsaved'.

If you have an unsaved Project minimized and you pass your Auto-Save time increment, it will not run an Auto-Save until immediately after you bring Premiere to the foreground.

The 15 minute interval could reflect that you did a manual save(or several) during that period or had the project minimized.
-------------------------------------------------

Take care, editors! This means that an editor who manually saves a project more often than the time to which the auto-save increment is set, can work on a project for 8-hours with NO auto-save files being generated!! Good to know!

James Brady
Senior Editor
Results Video, Inc.
El Paso, Texas

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 13, 2013 at 6:19:02 pm

[James Brady] "Take care, editors! This means that an editor who manually saves a project more often than the time to which the auto-save increment is set, can work on a project for 8-hours with NO auto-save files being generated!! Good to know!"

Here's a Dropbox benefit -- it stores versions of files which you can go back and recover. If you save your project files to a Dropbox folder, you can essentially have another layer of autosave.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

James Brady
on Sep 13, 2013 at 6:25:20 pm

Nice tip, thanks!

James Brady
Senior Editor
Results Video, Inc.
El Paso, Texas

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Sep 14, 2013 at 2:44:00 am

[Walter Soyka] "Here's a Dropbox benefit -- it stores versions of files which you can go back and recover. If you save your project files to a Dropbox folder, you can essentially have another layer of autosave."

My system as well...also helps when I'm travelling with a project that I'm flipping back and forth from the laptop to the desktop machine.

I also keep my LUTs, presets, frequently used logos and titles...synced between my computers and also saved in the "cloud" in Dropbox.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Adobe Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

Alexander Goff
on Oct 29, 2014 at 11:07:26 am

Have just encountered this thread - we've been scratching our heads over seemingly arbitrary autosave behaviour in 8.0, sometimes over an hour between autosaves. So it's good to find this explanation...

An obvious flaw in this way of autosaving seems to be that were a project to become corrupted after an editor spent an entire day manually saving (and therefore not laying down any new autosaves), he/she would be completely up the creek (unless the dropbox workflow was in place). Which would be fairly disastrous...

Return to posts index

Robert Newton
on Oct 31, 2014 at 2:45:57 pm

Man, same here. Just discovered this. Just lost about an hour of work because of this feature. That's a terrible design, because it encourages you to NOT save very often.

Robert

Return to posts index

Joe Seliski
on May 12, 2015 at 2:38:54 pm

just lost seven hours - crashed as i was saving - for this i miss FCP7
Premiere really must update this

Return to posts index

Ben Myrick
on Mar 4, 2016 at 10:48:43 pm

So, it won't save when there's an opportunity to do so without being a nuisance (in the background), but rather waits until your busy editing to interrupt you with a save? WTF, Adobe. This is very simple.

If something in the project has changed since the last save, and it's been x preset minutes since the that save, do an autosave!

There's nothing more to it than that. Whether the app is in the background or not shouldn't make any difference, and the fact that it waits when in the background is the opposite of helpful. I have software that's a decade old that can do this reliably, and somehow Adobe engineers still can't figure out how to implement this basic feature.

And, yes, I've filed many bug reports about it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]