ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

High def to mpeg 2 dvd. Whats the latest ?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Dexter
High def to mpeg 2 dvd. Whats the latest ?
on Aug 14, 2013 at 11:36:38 am

HI
I have been reading posts around the web around re sizing 1920 x 1080 for SD for DVD creation.
Most of them seem quite old, pre Premiere cs 6. It has been a couple of years since I made DVD's and I do remember being frustrated at the quality of the encode from Premiere in CS4.
I was wondering if CS6 (.3)was any better?
I did read the article using avisynth and with virtual dub and that seems a good option. I am a big fan of VDub from back in the day so that is one option. If CS 6 does it ok these days then I would prefer that route.
If anyone has any tips or pointers I would be very grateful.For instance is it worth exporting to a lagorith or Tiff sequence first and then resizing that before sending it to ame for mpeg2 dvd?
My footage is from mixed cameras. It is all 25 fmsps progressive. I am looking for high quality Pal DVD
Duration is fourty minutes to fit single layer so any help with bitrates would also be most welcome.
It is drama with little fast movement, Some animation with some gradient stuff going on, some magic bullet effects and some good music,(I know the music is a not relevant but it is so good I just had to mention it :) )
I will do some tests of course but like I say any knowledge anyone wishes to share would be really appreciated.
Cheers
Peter

We spent all the budget on doughnuts and now we have no money to make our film.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: High def to mpeg 2 dvd. Whats the latest ?
on Aug 14, 2013 at 1:28:38 pm

Your best bet is to export from Pr to AME and choose the DVD Mpeg2 preset. Adjust the data rate for optimum quality and playback.

Chris

Return to posts index

Peter Dexter
on Aug 14, 2013 at 2:45:55 pm

Thanks Chris. A couple of years ago it was the case that that method produced really bad results. No matter what settings were chosen. I expect some loss of quality but it was very bad. Just wondered if it had changed.
I am doing tests to see. I just wondered if anyone had any tips.
Thanks though for your suggestion.

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on Aug 15, 2013 at 4:31:37 pm

Just remember that you will ALWAYS see a picture quality difference between the original HD and final DVD... it can't be avoided, especially when using software for scaling. Some software is better than others. For years now, I've been using BitVice and have been very happy with the final picture quality.

HTH

Gary

Return to posts index

Peter Dexter
on Aug 15, 2013 at 8:50:25 pm

Thanks Gary
Yeah picture loss is unavoidable.The results I used to get back in the recent day were terrible. More so if I used quicktime for some reason. Very very soft no matter what I did. Sharpen filters and suchlike. I am thinking CS6 is a lot better.
I am happy to make an intermediate Tiff sequence and do the scaling in that render. It is a big file but it is only a temp file really. That way the gradients and suchlike seem to maintain more or less fidelity with the original. Lagorith is good too.
Bitvice I have not heard mentioned before so cheers for that. Might be worth investing.

Peter

Return to posts index

Jeff Goin
on Aug 16, 2013 at 6:10:55 pm

Try this.

Do a preview render (set render area ALT-[ to ALT-] then press Enter). NOW do an output of that section to your DVD file using Adobe Media Encoder. On my CS5.5 it looks MUCH better. I'll be curious to see if anyone else has this result. I don't understand why it works -- I discovered it by accident while trying samples for the best quality.

Jeff G.
"If there's air there, it should be flown in" - FootFlyer.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]