ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Video wont drag from project to timeline in PP CC

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Sawyer
Video wont drag from project to timeline in PP CC
on Aug 11, 2013 at 6:15:51 pm

Been working with PP CC since it came out and have had almost no problems. Now I have a head scratcher. I can't drag a video clip from the project panel to the sequence. The audio comes but the video won't. All I get is the close hand with a line through it when I hover over any of the video tracks. The clips play fine in the source monitor but still cant drag it from source to sequence either. Tried this with clips from several projects and cameras but no go. Started a new project, different name, folder and footage, still have the problem.

If I load a saved version of a CC project everything works fine with the footage that wouldn't work earlier. Fired up CS6, everything works fine.

At first I thought I might have a problem with the footage but now I don't have a clue.

Anybody had this before and more importantly how to fix it????

Thanks

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Video wont drag from project to timeline in PP CC
on Aug 12, 2013 at 3:05:21 am

Are any video tracks selected/armed on the left of the timeline?

Can you post a screenshot of your timeline panel?

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index

Dan Sawyer
on Aug 12, 2013 at 12:12:42 pm

Well the problem seems to have solved itself at this point. The tracks were armed. Started an entire new folder for the project and started everything from scratch and it seemed to work fine. Probably should have done that to start with and I'm sure I probably did something wrong but no idea what it was.

Thanks for your response and help but as long as it's working I'm going to chalk it up to operator error and/or ghost in the machine and try to catch up on the half day I lost trying to figure it out.

Return to posts index

Logan Peter
on Sep 18, 2013 at 4:50:51 pm

Hi Angelo,
With regard to the issue of not being able to drag videos from the project window to the timeline in Premier Pro CC; I am having that issue. Any words of wisdom on how to fix it?

Thanks,
Logan

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
on Sep 18, 2013 at 11:24:41 pm

Hi Logan,

In your your audio Source Patching track do you see a little plus sign? If so, right-click on it and select Add Tracks to Match Source from the context menu. You may be seeing experiencing this behavior because your current sequence has few audio tracks than your media your attempting to bring in.

If this is not the case a screen shot of your Timeline would be helpful.

Best,

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

bruno silva
on Sep 23, 2013 at 10:03:09 pm

This may help.

In your sequence, on the left most column you should see a V1 (left of the Lock Track button). Click that to make sure its highlighted, it allows you to drop video to the sequence.

Return to posts index

Robert Wiegand
on Sep 27, 2013 at 8:54:29 pm

I have a problem like Logan. P pro does not display any tracks on the timeline, there is no V1 etc, and the selections below the wrench are greyed out. Have any solutions been found?

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
on Sep 28, 2013 at 12:15:33 am

Hi Robert,

It sounds like you don't have a sequence created. Try this

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Robert Wiegand
on Sep 28, 2013 at 7:44:54 pm

Thank you Peter. I've completed a few Ppro projects (up to CS4) in the past and don't recall ever having to do this. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Sylvanus Stephen
on Mar 10, 2014 at 2:49:50 pm

Thank you man, it worked for me

Return to posts index

Lucas Miller
on Aug 18, 2015 at 5:09:17 am

I'm having the same problem--I get a hand with a strikeout symbol when I try to add video. V1 is activated and I've toggled "toggle sync lock" a couple of times. I've tried with AE composition and regular footage. I can add audio but not video. Makes no sense at all...

I can create a new sequence and then copy from there but that's a serious hassle. I have a lot of clips yet to add but I've invested many hours in this sequence. Please help!

screen shot:

Return to posts index

tad newberry
on Aug 18, 2015 at 6:28:43 am

first, empty all caches.
delete all previews.
that will PROBABLY do it.
keep us posted! ;-)

thanks for helping out a bonehead!

FCS3 / Adobe CC
3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro
24GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5870
...and a few TeraBytes o' storage
(then it's on to PetaBytes, ExaBytes and MosquitoBytes!)

Return to posts index

Lucas Miller
on Aug 18, 2015 at 2:54:15 pm

Duh, there are TWO things that highlight and say V1; one is "source patching for inserts and overwrites" and the other is "toggle the track targeting for this track." It's to the LEFT of the lock symbol. I had none of the former highlighted and so no video would load.

Having said that, now that I deactivate the one on the left, I can still load video onto that channel. I'm confused but, as long as it's working, satisfied.

Thanks, though!

Return to posts index

Wads Ex
on Dec 28, 2016 at 2:19:31 am

This was solution for me.
Before that I was trying to convert video into other formats and import it - and again it was unable to drag&drop it to timeline from Project, only Image Sequence helped.
But drag&drop to "New Item" icon helped me. So why its happening? In previous version there was no such error.
Thank you!

Return to posts index

Kareem Girgis
on Sep 22, 2017 at 6:04:23 pm

Oh my gosh...Yesssssss....
That fixed it...
Thank you....

Return to posts index

Casey Bennett
on Aug 12, 2014 at 11:04:07 pm

Thanks! This helped me. I could create a sequence from the video clip, but couldn't drag it to the timeline. Clicking the V1 icon to the left of the lock buttons worked for me perfectly. Not sure how or why it was unclicked to begin with!

Return to posts index

tad newberry
on Nov 14, 2014 at 12:34:17 am

i started having this problem today...been using it for a year, and it's different today. i can still do, "new sequence from clip", and that works, then i can copy and paste the clips from that timeline to another. then i found this thread. clicked a little more on the V1's, etc., but also toggled the "toggle sync lock" button on and off (never used it before), set it back to where it was and then i could drag stuff to the timeline. go figure...

FCS3 / Adobe CC
24GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5870

Return to posts index

tad newberry
on Nov 14, 2014 at 12:38:11 am

i started having this problem today...been using it for a year, and it's different today. i can still do, "new sequence from clip", and that works, then i can copy and paste the clips from that timeline to another. then i found this thread. clicked a little more on the V1's, etc., but also toggled the "toggle sync lock" button on and off (never used it before), set it back to where it was and then i could drag stuff to the timeline. go figure...

AND, now that i've rendered some clips from the timeline and bring them back in, they only have 1 audio track, even though the timeline it was rendered from had 2. wut up wif dat????

FCS3 / Adobe CC
24GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5870

Return to posts index

Gary James
on Dec 6, 2014 at 4:47:07 am

You sir... Are a genius! Thank you! And thank google... for it is a good thing.

Return to posts index

asa khan
on Mar 16, 2015 at 1:26:46 am

Hi thanks it works now,need to select V1

Return to posts index

Gage Estes
on Jan 29, 2016 at 3:35:27 am

Thank you so much I can't believe I didn't figure that out

Return to posts index

Brett Raeburn
on Aug 22, 2016 at 2:07:04 pm

You just saved me. That was what was wrong with my project, which was having the same issue. Thanks!

Return to posts index

asa khan
on Mar 16, 2015 at 1:07:05 am

Hi Im having exactly same problem as Dan Sawyer with my timeline and have did exactly the same test but fail.

Return to posts index

Kamil Wawrzyszko
on Aug 16, 2015 at 11:11:41 pm

What worked for me was saving the project, quitting Première Pro and reopening the project. Come on Adobe - fix this!

Return to posts index

andrew bird
on Jan 20, 2016 at 2:00:30 pm

Ditto!
Empty audio tracks. Target Track highlighted (of course!). Caches, emptied. Preferences Trashed. Sudo:Purged. Restarted.

Workaround was to place footage into a separate timeline then cut/paste it into my current assemble.
Obviously a temporary fix and we'll se how that works out when footage comes in!

Return to posts index

Josh Watkins
on Jan 25, 2016 at 3:49:51 pm

So I've had this problem for a while now and have just been creating new sequences and copying over footage from there. I've tried clearing caches and renders, to no avail. Today I tried something new and maybe this helps.

I noticed that sometimes when I create the sequence from a specific piece of footage that I want to be my constant setting, other clips (for some unknown reason) wouldn't work or drag in--regardless of being from the same camera and format.

SOLUTION:
I found that creating a sequence using the DSLR presets and customizing the size, frame rate, and so on to match what I know to be true did the trick.

Sometimes Premiere would incorrectly diagnose my clip format and pick an Editing Mode (Canon XF, MPEG, HDV) for my sequence that was incompatible with footage that was the slightest bit different. You could always go with "Custom" from the start, but I've found the DLSR mode has an even enough base to start out with and will most likely cover the compression you're dealing with (provided you're not working with ProRes or a similar codec that's friendly to editing).

I'd love to know if this works for someone else and if my theory holds true.

Thanks!
Josh

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Jan 25, 2016 at 5:37:35 pm

We've recently had a few situations where media wouldn't drag to the timeline, and it's the same format as the media that's already on the timeline. Restarting Premiere takes care of it.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia GeForce GTX 770 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC * QuickTime 7.7.5
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Paul Whishaw
on Feb 17, 2016 at 4:33:50 pm

To get around this ridiculous bug I grab the audio track and drag it to the new track icon.This creates a new track with said audio. I copy that audio and paste it into the timeline I actual want it in. Is this ridiculous? Yes it it.

I also have to quit and restart Premiere CC every 5 minutes if I want to apply speed ramp keyframes to my footage.

The worst is if I make a post on the Adobe site they ask for so much information it would take an hour just to list it out. It's clear to me this is a universal Adobe problem and has very little to do with the type of footage we are using.

Return to posts index

Giacomo Severi
on Mar 4, 2016 at 3:46:38 pm

Hello everybody!
I had the same problem and i found a solution...cheating a bit :)
Instead of drag and drop the entire track, just select a random in point and out point in the source panel.
Then drag and drop...
It works for me!
Hope this will help you

Giacomo

Return to posts index

joe becker
on May 15, 2016 at 6:29:18 pm

The random in and out point worked for me. Thanks

Joe Becker
jbeckercreative

Return to posts index

Bradley Baraud
on Apr 8, 2016 at 9:57:32 am

Ok, found a potential fix for the issue. (If none of the above work)

I found that you get the crossed out hand icon if you are trying to import media that is longer than your sequence in-out.
eg. if your in -> out point is 60sec and you try and import a 2 minute film rush it won't let you.

Make sure that your out point on your actual sequence is set to a time that is longer than your media and that both the source and track targeting buttons are selected on your video / audio tracks and you should be fine.

Return to posts index

dreus hrings
on May 26, 2016 at 10:45:42 am

SOLUTION: V1 must dragged down to the other V1 and both have to be highlighted.

For some reason there are 2 V1's, one under the overwrite symbol in the timeline and one normal where all the other tracks say V1,2,3,4......

So what worked for me was to position the MAIN V1 to the normal V1.

Completely random problem :/

Return to posts index

Darren Keast
on Jun 21, 2016 at 12:13:05 am

Thanks so much for this work around...but I pretty new to Premier and I don't really get it. I'm not seeing how the In and Out points could be longer than the clip to be imported (drag and dropped into the timeline)...or do you mean imported as in brought into the project as a whole? I've tried everything on this thread, and the only thing that works is to open a new sequence and copy and paste from there, but it's a major hassle. It also freezes when I don't have any In and Out points on the track to be dragged. So frustrating, and from the date on the start of this thread, I really can't believe Adobe hasn't fixed this yet--almost 3 years later!

Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Bradley Baraud
on Jun 21, 2016 at 11:31:22 pm

When i'm talking about in and out points I mean on your main sequence. If you just put an in point at zero (i) and a out point at a 10 minutes or so (o) then try and drag the media in. Should work fine.

Return to posts index

Steven Trauger
on Jun 8, 2016 at 5:04:36 am

I don't know if this is a fix to the same problem or not but I figured I'd share...

Simply move the entire application window around on the screen; just give it a nudge. Then you'll be able to drag your asset media to the timeline. I've seen this same issue in Encore before and this always solved it (might have to do with workspaces or multiple display preferences etc.). Anyway, just figured I'd share in case it helps.

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Nov 10, 2016 at 5:30:35 pm

After trying every other solution, I saw this post and thought there was no way it would be that simple (and silly). Turns out it was! Just moved the application window slightly and it's back to working.

Return to posts index

Kim Rowley
on Nov 16, 2016 at 4:53:51 pm

Ditto! Thanks! I too thought that was ludicrous - turns out it worked for me too. Now in 2 decades of editing that is one I've never heard of and would almost be embaressed to suggest. Thank a million Steven.

2x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5770, Xserve RAID, AJA IO, 2 Cinema Display, FCP Studio 3 (7.0.3), OS X10.6.5

Return to posts index

Jon Kirsh
on May 11, 2017 at 3:01:34 pm

This happens to me often as well. I think this is just a stupid application bug that Adobe has yet to fully fix in any of it's previous or current versions. The only work around I have found is to either restart the application. Or if you don't want to bother with that right away open a new or existing sequence and drag your footage there, then cut/copy the clip into the sequence you want to use it in. Annoying and stupid, but that's Adobe sometimes.

Maybe one day Adobe will release a piece of software that fixes previous bugs before introducing new ones.

Return to posts index

Donald Daedalus
on Jun 5, 2017 at 10:55:13 pm
Last Edited By Donald Daedalus on Jun 5, 2017 at 11:00:36 pm

(If you V1/target track isn't an issue, in/out points aren't an issue; media format isn't an issue:)

Are you working with multiple monitors?

I experience this problem when I work with external/multiple monitors.
I unplug the monitor from the port and plug it back in.

Additionally, I save my workspaces according to whether I'm working with multiple monitors at work or at home. I've found deleting the workspace and using a template workspace (Editing/Essentials/ etc.) does the trick.

Summing up:
1) Make sure your time line has at least ONE video or audio track active (meaning the V1, V2, etc. to the right of the lock symbol is active.
2) Make sure you've cleared your timeline in/out points (cmd +x on Mac)
3) Your media is compatible
4) Your workspace isn't corrupt. Delete workspace, use a generic workspace.
5) Your external monitors are refreshed. Unplug, plug back in

I solve another problem of not being able to move/shift my clips on the timeline with my pointer in the same way. Use a generic workspace.

-D

Return to posts index

John Holowitz
on Oct 30, 2017 at 3:09:56 pm

Hey yes this worked for me!

I was using an HDMI/Monitor set up. Unplug and plug back in!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]