ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Documentary, sound sync, Prelude CC and Premiere CC workflow

COW Forums : PluralEyes

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Brendan Macrae
Documentary, sound sync, Prelude CC and Premiere CC workflow
on Jul 14, 2013 at 8:56:31 pm

Hey there,

I am in the process of editing a documentary with 70+ hours of AVCHD (.MTS) footage. My end goal here is to review all media, ideally with access to each sound source synced to each clip before editing. I have multiple sound sources (camera, boom, and 2 wireless mics) and wish to preserve all tracks instead of replacing the "reference" sound of the camera.

My initial thought was to find a way to create new clips with multiple synced tracks using either Pluraleyes or the new merge clip function in Premiere CC, then review everything in Prelude CC, taking notes on the metadata, and finally doing the editing in Premiere CC.

First, is this even possible? Can you export a clip with numerous independent tracks that have been synced? If so, what could be an efficient way in doing so?

Second, if this is not possible, what would be your thoughts on an efficient way to meet my initial goal (reviewing 70+ hours of documentary media with multiple sound sources before editing?)

Thank you for your input.

Return to posts index

Patrick Taber
Re: Documentary, sound sync, Prelude CC and Premiere CC workflow
on Jul 29, 2013 at 12:22:43 am

Did you ever find a good workflow for this situation? Right now I'm trying to find a way to get Prelude and Pluraleyes 3 to play together. I haven't found a satisfactory technique yet.

The best I've managed is to log the footage using Prelude to add subclip markers and then pull the result into Premiere and put the master video files into a sequence along with the audio I want to sync and use the Pluraleye Connector to sync everything up (Pluraleyes fails if I pull the subclips into a sequence and try to sync those.)

The end result is sync'ed audio and video clips where I can SEE the subclip marker boundaries in the timeline but Premiere doesn't seem to recognize them -- I have to go in and use the razor blade to cut at the boundaries so I can have clips to work with. If I try to use one of the subclips I created with Prelude, it doesn't have the Pluraleyes audio bound to it.

Return to posts index

Garnet Campbell
on Aug 17, 2013 at 11:45:43 pm

I'm editing a feature this way.. I have 4 extra tracks of audio plus my two tracks on camera. I sync sound for each clip using merge clips feature manually with the sync to marker. I'd do some tests with your system though. I'm finding I'm getting crashes in premiere CC when I'm editing merged clips. My AVCHD files are very high bitrate from hacked GH2 and put extra strain on the system so maybe I need more power or more ram. I'm using an 2.7ghz imac i5. Others with more powerful systems aren't having the same problems I am.

Return to posts index

Ht Davis
on Nov 12, 2018 at 8:43:34 pm

Try this...
First cut up at least one clip into subclips with markers in Prelude. Send those along with your master clips to premiere. You can add comment markers with the subclip markers to make sure they align. Now align your master clipA and Master clip B. IF you cut up your master clip A and B with markers for subclip and comment so you can align the subclips, you're all set. Align subclips for masterA on a track and subclips for master b on another track, delete the masters from the tracks. You don't need pluraleyes if you have a slap lock spike, but if you don't have that, you'll have to either EXPORT subclips or align by comment\subclip markers. It's faster to use Pluraleyes to align, but you would have to export your subclips in order to align them.

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]