ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

HD and SD in same sequence

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Swift
HD and SD in same sequence
on Jul 5, 2013 at 1:19:16 am

Any tips on how to work with HD and SD in the same sequence? I'm new to Premiere Pro, and certainly no expert in technical matters. What I've found out so far is that if I choose an HD clip to format the sequence, the DV clips are undersized and surrounded by black borders. If I format the sequence with DV, then the HD clips are oversized.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Doug

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
Re: HD and SD in same sequence
on Jul 5, 2013 at 8:45:54 am

Your sequence settings depend of the final destination.
1. BluRay setup with HD sequence. The DV footage can either be scaled up with the help of Red Giants HD instant or
You can leave the DV footage as it is if its 'bad' quality (no scaling) and put the same clip behind and scale that up (or stretch) and give it a blur. Some like this method, some dont.
2. dvd with dv sequence: far out the easiest one. Scale the HD footage down to fit.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS6
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Doug Swift
on Jul 5, 2013 at 1:59:03 pm

Thanks, Ann. I see the big picture now.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jul 5, 2013 at 5:30:36 pm

Hi Doug,

The final output will help determine what sequence to edit in. If destined for DVD and you're mixing SD and HD, edit in an SD sequence. When editing SD in an HD sequence, it gets "blown up" to HD, which softens the footage, then you are downscaling that back to SD, so the SD clip quality has been lost by the double conversions.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Doug Swift
on Jul 5, 2013 at 6:11:17 pm

Thanks, Jeff. Will do!

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
on Jul 31, 2013 at 12:51:56 am

Hi Vince,

Going off what others have said. If your final output is SD then create a DV sequence and place your HD clips in the Timeline. Select all of your HD clips> Right-click, choose 'Scale to Frame Size'.

Best,

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Vince Valdez
on Jul 31, 2013 at 1:44:42 am

Thanks Peter. It's a wedding video I'll shoot outdoors, and my first.....a freebie/experimental for a friend. I have no crew so I'll shoot the closeups with a Panasonic AF100 and stationary/moving shot footage with a Panasonic DVX100b. Sounds like a train wreck already, huh???

Return to posts index

Vince Valdez
on Jul 30, 2013 at 3:07:56 pm

Hi Ann I'm new to Creative Cow and Premeire CS6. I'm referring to your post "2. dvd with dv sequence: far out the easiest one. Scale the HD footage down to fit." At what point in the workflow do I choose to scale the HD footage down to fit?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]