ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Creative Cloud (again) - Australia, Pricing and Random Thoughts

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Gal
Creative Cloud (again) - Australia, Pricing and Random Thoughts
on Apr 12, 2013 at 11:12:52 pm

I live in Australia.

I need the Mac CS6 Master Collection for which I would pay $3949 for a download from Adobe. This is much more expensive than my friends in the USA would pay.

The current download upgrade price (Australian) from CS5.5 to CS6 is $799.00, and from CS5 to CS6 is $1594. I believe one should pay more to upgrade from an older version providing there was significant software development in the skipped version.

Due to my collaboration with other people using most of the apps in the collection I need to keep my software up to date. I therefore plan for an annual upgrade cycle and assume an approx price of $800 pa.

The current monthly rental price with an annual commitment is A$49.99. We also get the special deals like the current $29.99.

I also speculate (who knows) that a cloud price increase may also be accompanied by an increase in the pricing for the download model.

Based on my requirements the cloud model is good for me here in Australia.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
Re: Creative Cloud (again) - Australia, Pricing and Random Thoughts
on Apr 13, 2013 at 1:23:19 am

Yes, I've heard that pricing from Creative Cloud in Australia will be very competitive. This is very good news.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Sean Bates
on Apr 13, 2013 at 3:05:02 am

Definitely seems like an easy choice given the high price in Australia. I'm surprised it's such a big difference. I've been on the cloud for a year and I've been very happy with it. I'm sure a few years down the road there will be break even point where it would be the same or cheaper to be on the perpetual licensing plan, but for some reason it seems a lot less painful paying out a small monthly fee vs a big chunk of cash up front. Plus it's nice knowing you're always going to be up to date.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 14, 2013 at 12:16:45 am

that's all delicious - and I'm effectively smitten by the cloud, given it costs eight lattes and a few good sandwiches a month in total outlay -

but I still hold to the point that adobe should be really careful - careful not to lose the entire narrative of what is right now about to be the de facto replacement for broad scale editing everywhere and.. anywhere... - boom boom!.

there is plenty of time and space for adobe to present highly valid carrots for subscription based software. Not that anyone thinks they are about to do it -
but. the actual idea that they would be about to push paid editing/everything they sell across all creative disciplines/ right off the psychological client ownership cliff...

that, as they say, is total madness - and would swamp completely the entire PR narrative of what is a creative suite release for the ages.

that said - incredibly unlikely to happen. i just thought I would go headless chicken on a forum.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Michael Hendrix
on Apr 14, 2013 at 1:18:42 am

Keep your eyes on the goal Adobe.... keep your eyes on the goal Adobe....

We took a gamble about 4 or 5 months ago and started the transition to Premiere betting on the next version of PPro fixing the bugs and hopefully a few new features. This week, we hit the jackpot.

If it works out of the box with minimal hiccups, its a game changer. Adobe Anywhere, game changer.

My next call for finding freelance editors:

Project: X
Hardware: Doesn't matter
Software: Okay how about I pay for a month of Cloud Subscription, add $75 to your invoice

Keep your eyes on the goal.... Keep your eyes on the goal.....

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Apr 14, 2013 at 1:27:08 am

You have a 30 year veteran whose been using PrP for 2 years and AE for 10 right here (not counting Avid MC / Avid DS / FCP) right here :D

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 14, 2013 at 1:45:18 am

hi there,

I am a plumber, I have tools - in my toolbox, these tools directly represent my livelihood.

the idea that my toolset, the entire toolset can vanish at the quirk of a bank transfer, or scandalous charge from the vendor is basically insane.

plumbers do not rent pliers.

let me try this again - there is absolutely no way that I am going to use a toolset as delicate as that. Any software vendor that feels they could force their entire product purchaser base into a perpetual car hire purchase scheme is out of their living minds.

I mean this - they are out of their living minds.

The push back to that effort would beggar the worst PR disasters of recent human memory.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Apr 14, 2013 at 2:11:54 am

Andreas, I can certainly relate to that philosophy.

Tom Daigon
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Apr 14, 2013 at 6:41:26 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "I am a plumber, I have tools - in my toolbox, these tools directly represent my livelihood.

the idea that my toolset, the entire toolset can vanish at the quirk of a bank transfer, or scandalous charge from the vendor is basically insane.

plumbers do not rent pliers."

Amen!

My brother in LA had that exact scenario the other day. I'll quote some of his text msg:
[Daniel Lawrence]"Imagine going to a hardware store and suddenly being told that you couldn't buy a hammer, or saw, or... You could only rent it. What's the difference between physical tools and software tools? What makes software such a special case (easy duplication?) that the idea of ownership should go away?"
It's a great question.

I've said this before but it bears repeating -- software rental not only means your entire toolset "can vanish at the quirk of a bank transfer, or scandalous charge from the vendor", so too can your access to the digital files you've created with these tools. These files are your property. Software rental means the software vendor controls access to your digital property, not you. That truly does sound insane.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Apr 14, 2013 at 4:28:40 pm

We're talking Aussie pricing here. It's a better deal for them down under.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Apr 14, 2013 at 4:35:18 pm

[David Lawrence] "software rental not only means your entire toolset "can vanish at the quirk of a bank transfer, or scandalous charge from the vendor", so too can your access to the digital files you've created with these tools. These files are your property. Software rental means the software vendor controls access to your digital property, not you. That truly does sound insane."

This was the concept that motivated me to speak out on this issue.

Tom Daigon
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Apr 14, 2013 at 5:23:34 pm

The Creative Cloud is a good thing for many of our customers. Good for you Aussies! Let's talk more about the benefits of the Creative Cloud, like competitive pricing for our customers overseas. Yes!

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Apr 14, 2013 at 5:32:34 pm

I have the utmost faith that Adobe will continues to promote the benefits of the Cloud. :D

Its up to those of us that want the choice afforded by the perpetual license to make sure like minded folks let Adobe know what we as customers want.

Tom Daigon
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Apr 14, 2013 at 6:21:55 pm

The benefits solve a lot of problems for our customers. large and small. Of course, I will continue to tell about those benefits, including how you might grow your business. Who doesn't want to make more money?

Regarding future pricing, I am not sure if your voice is being heard, Tom. There are only a few Adobe employees perusing Cow forums and we have no control or details about future pricing of our software.

What I would suggest is that you file a feature request for each application you use to let those teams know how you feel. That should probably be your best plan of action. Others can do the same, too.

Here's the link: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Thanks for your support.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Apr 14, 2013 at 6:48:12 pm

Excellent idea Kevin. Thanks!

Tom Daigon
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

Sean Bates
on Apr 15, 2013 at 2:24:30 am

Obviously I'm a fan of the cloud but by no means do I think Adobe should do away with the current licensing model. Nor do I think they've really given any indication that they will. What I would expect is that they would prefer people to be on cloud and will continue to pile on incentives to draw people to it. I agree it would be a PR nightmare to do away with perpetual licenses and Adobe has seen how fickle customers can be. Not just with FCP but with Netflix. Remember the fiasco when Netflix up and decided to change their subscription plan? Adobe is clearly paying close attention to what Apple did wrong and is making every effort to not repeat the same mistakes. I highly doubt they will shoot themselves in the foot over this.

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
on Apr 15, 2013 at 6:55:06 am

I already have two perpetual licenses of CS6. If I sign up for the cloud, can I still install one cloud license on two machines? ie a Mac Pro and a Macbook pro?

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index

Sean Bates
on Apr 15, 2013 at 11:10:50 am

Yes, you still get two installs. I have it on my Windows PC and my Macbook Pro.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]