ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Ease into or out of a transition in Premiere Pro?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Swindler
Ease into or out of a transition in Premiere Pro?
on Mar 23, 2013 at 1:33:51 am

I'm transitioning from Sony Vegas and I'm enjoying Premiere so far; however, one thing I can't figure out how to do is to change the speed of a transition. Take a crossfade, for example; when I add it the transition is perfectly linear. In Vegas one could choose from four presets - slow, fast, smooth, or linear - that would allow you to ease in, out, both, or none on a transition. For further control, one could even add a transition progress rubber band and keyframe it. Is there any equivalent in Premiere? Many times easing in to a long fade looks far better than a linear fade. Many thanks in advance for any help.

Return to posts index

Ivan M. Semeniuk
Re: Ease into or out of a transition in Premiere Pro?
on Mar 25, 2013 at 10:44:20 pm

I'm not sure whether transition effects can be changed. However, you can achieve the desired result by varying opacity with bezier keyframes instead of the standard linear curves.

Return to posts index

Michael Swindler
on May 18, 2013 at 1:33:36 am

Ivan,

Many thanks for the reply (Due to a spam filter I didn't realize you had replied until now - sorry!). Not an ideal way to achieve the desired effect, but it will certainly work in a pinch and I wouldn't have thought of it myself.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Tim Neighbors
on May 16, 2019 at 12:57:38 am

did you ever find a way to do this? Seems silly that in Premiere we have to go to so much trouble to create a smooth dissolve. Why would the default be a clunky linear cross dissolve?
I'm also a Vegas user transitioning to premiere (and not enjoying it so much).

Tim Neighbors
invisibleharness.com
FB.com/invisibleharness
instagram.com/invisibleharness

Return to posts index

Michael Swindler
on May 16, 2019 at 1:49:34 am

Hi Tim,

Been through several major versions of the software and no change that I am aware of despite my repeated requests in surveys :/

I will say that after a year or two I became more comfortable with Premiere than I ever was with Vegas. I still miss the dissolve options, but I've found that I don't use them as much as I thought I did and I've gotten very comfortable with keyframing them if needed (Ctrl-click on the horizontal line on the clip to create a keyframe).

For me, the additional pro functionality that Premiere has that was missing in Vegas (at the time I left anyway) more than makes up for the minor things like this that I miss.

For what it's worth, I took an introductory course on Premiere Pro using a Lynda.com (now LinkedIn Learning) subscription and made sure to actually complete the exercises and it got me used to the software in no time. I highly recommend this or a similar course in the beginning.

Hope that helps!

Return to posts index

Roger Averdahl
on May 20, 2019 at 12:00:52 pm

I use the free Impact Dissolve so i can easily easy in and/or ease out the dissolve. Impact Dissolve is superiour to the standard Cross Dissolve or Film Dissolve. Impact Dissolve can be set to either cross dissolve or film dissolve

https://www.filmimpact.net/blog/impact-dissolve-in-depth-video-tutorial

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]