ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Type text WHILST playing video?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul McDonald
Type text WHILST playing video?
on Mar 14, 2013 at 10:18:23 pm

Hi everyone,

We're evaluating shifting from FCP 7 to PP6 and on the whole really like it so far. The big wins are the better real-time performance, space savings from not having to transcode our H264 and FS100 material prior to editing, and the AE / Encoder / etc integration.

One thing I'm struggling with is transcribing interview material. In FCP it is possible to play a clip on the timeline while typing a text field, allowing me to transcribe the interview material relatively quickly. Is there a way to do the same in Premiere Pro?

As a side note I've run a few tests with the speech analysis tool and I've found it woefully inaccurate, to the pont where I save more time just transcribing from scratch. Also, has anyone else had any luck downloading the International English language pack from Adobe? The PP6 file always comes in as corrupt when I try and install it. http://www.adobe.com/au/products/premiere/extend.displayTab3.html

Cheers

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
Re: Type text WHILST playing video?
on Mar 15, 2013 at 12:13:07 am

Where do you want to type? In a marker? A text generator? The Project panel?
Speech analysis works much more reliably when you attach a script to it. Check out this video.

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Paul McDonald
on Mar 15, 2013 at 12:59:10 am

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the response. I wasn't aware of the script-to-text function - that's very cool indeed! I've been rerunning tests on the speech analysis this morning and I have found the latest International English library more accurate than the last tests we ran with CS5. I get about 30-50% accuracy. However, there were enough errors in the automated analysis model to make picking through it a time consuming and clunky process. On the tests this morning I found it took about 5 times at long to accurately transcribe a 1 minute clip using the speech analysis technique versus the old fashioned way of playing the clip and typing what I hear.

Regarding my question, I think I've just found the answer. I was hoping to play a clip whilst typing a title, which doesn't seem to be possible within Premiere. I can however play a clip and type externally using Text Edit, which will do the trick just fine.

Cheers,
Paul

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Mar 16, 2013 at 12:50:20 am

Cool, glad that works for you.

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.