ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Sony F5 XAVC footage in Premiere CS6

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don McVey
Sony F5 XAVC footage in Premiere CS6
on Mar 8, 2013 at 3:44:45 pm

Wondering if anyone can help. PLEASE HELP!!!

Trying to get 1080p XAVC footage from an F5 to work in Pr CS6 (Mac). It imports, but when I try to do anything with it, it crashes. Apparently I need a plug in. Looked at Rovi Totalcode but it's $350 and only for a PC.

Does anyone know what I can possibly do???

Also, anyone got it to work with FCPX? Last resort, I'll download the demo and edit in that :(

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Sony F5 XAVC footage in Premiere CS6
on Mar 8, 2013 at 7:48:40 pm

I don't know if there's support for that codec yet in Adobe apps. It does work in Sony Vegas (well according to them). It's Windows only though.

Return to posts index

Chris Paul
on Mar 8, 2013 at 9:53:52 pm

Went to a Sony demo- the rep said that Premiere 6.5 will support it. In the meantime the free version of Blackmagic DaVinci resolve will convert it.

Chris Paul
POV

Return to posts index

Scott Foreman
on Mar 9, 2013 at 1:15:45 pm

A few notes on the XAVC workflow, because I am stuck as well.

:: DaVinci lite only exports 23.97 or 24, so if you record video at 30 or 60, your output will be out of sync.

:: Sony's content browser does not export, anyone with knowledge to the contrary, please please do enlighten us all.

:: Premiere Pro 6.5 does not support this codec.

Anyone who has successfully shot with the Sony F5 or F55 and transcoded the native XAVC files to ProRes 422, PLEASE tell us how you did it.

Return to posts index

John Gurney
on Mar 9, 2013 at 3:59:44 pm

Impossible to do at this point on a mac as far as I know. We received our F55 last week and did a test with XAVC. Crashes PP6.02 and Media Encoder. Sony told us that we had to wait till PP7 comes out to use it. We had a commercial to shoot this week so we had to put the camera in XDCAM mode in order to use the files. The only benefit of this was the ability to shoot S-GAMUT. Even at XDCAM level, the footage looks wonderful! Can't wait till we can use XAVC.

Return to posts index

Don McVey
on Mar 10, 2013 at 8:27:25 am

Thanks John. I actually went ahead and shot the XAVC. Realised I could use DaVinci Resolve to convert the files to prores. Pain in the @rse but the XAVC looks stunning! I mean gorgeous! I'll post resulting video up here for you to look at :)

Just a thought... would Sony Vegas not handle XAVC???

Return to posts index

Jay Davis
on Mar 20, 2013 at 9:33:52 pm

I am using Resolve to quickly convert the files from XAVC to ProRes or DNx. Then moving to editorial. I find the trans-code necessary because not all editorial departments are using "up to date" version's of their NLE. So using these flavors I know they at least can open the files and move on. I then re-conform the edit back in Resolve linking to the 4k XAVC files and do final grade and finishing.
I agree that the XAVC looks really nice. For a very lightweight file it holds up surprisingly well. And on a simple DIT laptop station you can render out dailies fast. I would consider this a nice flavor to work on TV projects and shoot UltraHD.

BTW, you need to use the Resolve version above 9.1 and above to support the XAVC native.

Return to posts index

Don McVey
on Mar 20, 2013 at 9:45:16 pm

Thanks for the advice!

Actually tried Resolve but my iMac kept crashing! So I eventually used Avid AMA to convert the files to Prores, then just edited in Pr. I was only shooting 1080p so that worked fine :)

Return to posts index

Jay Davis
on Mar 21, 2013 at 3:04:59 am

Yea Resolve works best when you have a dedicated GPU on board for processing so if your imac is older it probably will struggle. Without at least one extra GPU it can be cranky.

Return to posts index

Michael Ricci
on Mar 26, 2013 at 3:16:33 pm

You're in CS6? Trying to flip to ProRes? You don't need content browser as CS6 reads and plays .mxf. If you'd rather have a .mov, do the following.

1) Import complete file structure to Media Encoder and export desired settings.
2) Import complete file structure into a Premiere project with sequence set for XDCAM 422 1080p30 and export to desired settings.

Hope I was understanding correctly.

Return to posts index

Don McVey
on Mar 26, 2013 at 3:45:01 pm

Hi Michael,

Was trying to get prores or anything that would work with CS6. XAVC is not supported at all in Pr or Media Encoder. It just crashes. I know it's .mxf but it's a different kind of .mxf

Return to posts index

Michael Ricci
on Mar 26, 2013 at 3:46:32 pm

Oh. Should have read the whole post. I've only shot XDCAM with the F-5. Good luck!

Return to posts index

Chris Lee
on May 15, 2014 at 2:54:34 am

Personally, I use HD Video Converter for Mac to transcode the native XAVC files to ProRes 422. It comes with optimal Apple ProRes presets for users to choose from. See my attached image below:

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Jul 22, 2013 at 10:45:29 pm

[Chris Paul] "the rep said that Premiere 6.5 will support it"

There is no Premiere 6.5. FYI.

Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Navarro Parker
on Mar 28, 2013 at 10:08:43 pm

Final Cut Pro (and all Quicktime apps) now support XAVC.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/03/28/apple-updates-final-cut-pro-x-mot...

Return to posts index

Scott Moore
on May 22, 2013 at 7:16:22 am

Did you get it working in the end??

I've just been handed some F5 footage which shows up fine in my sony content browser but it doesn't let me export it. All the export options are grayed out and when I click export to FCP it just says that the required codecs are missing and it can't export the media.
I have also tried Premiere pro & media encoder, both crash when they try to open the media.
Compressor and FCX both say there is no media/can't read media - they are the latest versions of all the apps.

Any help would be much appreciated as I'm at the tearing my hair out stage and have a client that needs to get the material edited asap.....eeek!

Thanks,
Scott.

Scott Moore
Editor,
Spitfire TV

Return to posts index

Don McVey
on May 22, 2013 at 1:10:12 pm

Hey Scott,

Don't stress! I got it working fine :)

Firstly, I never use Sony content browser so no idea about that.

So your options:

1. I'm 99% certain that FCPX will now support it. But you need to make sure you have the plugins of course. Have you done this?

http://community.sony.com/t5/F5-F55/XAVC-APPLE-FCPX-plugin/td-p/107431

2. If that doesn't work (should work) - you can put your footage through Da Vinci and export as Prores.

3. My Mac doesn't handle Da Vinci so I downloaded a trial version of Avid, and exported as prores to edit in Premiere.

This also looks like a pretty comprehensive guide:

http://www.shipsides.com/abelcine-blogs/how-to-import-f5f55-footage-in-fcp-...

Good luck! Let me know how it goes!

Return to posts index

Scott Moore
on May 22, 2013 at 11:08:24 pm

Thanks for your help!

When I loaded up the computer this morning it told me there was a new update to FCPX, even though I updated to the latest version last night (weird computer gremlins) and now its working fine!

I also installed the new codecs, thanks for the link!

Scott Moore
Editor,
Spitfire TV

Return to posts index

Justin Alt
on May 30, 2013 at 5:06:49 pm

On a whim, I imported the XMF files into the conversion app iFFmpeg and, for once, was able to view and convert the clips!

Return to posts index

Kazarian K-Zar
on Sep 13, 2014 at 2:51:37 am

Justin, would you elaborate a little more for me on your comment? I use ffmpeg for encoding often enough. I am looking to get a Sony a7s, and am bummed to hear prem pro doesn't support xavc s. so you're saying you can take mxf files from the xavc and transcode them in ffmpeg? Is this going to help me with my Sony? I am also bummed to have to transcode all video files........

Kazarian

Return to posts index

Simen Gorden
on Jun 4, 2013 at 9:23:09 am

Hi, Don McVey! I recently read a blog article showing how to edit XAVC files in Sony Vegas 8.0/9.0/10 (http://www.techtopic.net/how-to-edit-xavc-files-in-sony-vegas/). I've tried the method myself and found it easy yet effective. Moreover, by using the same method, we also can make the XAVC files be editable in Premiere CS6, FCP 7/6, Avid, etc. If you didn't found the way to edit your XAVC footage in Premiere CS6, I recommend you read this article!

Return to posts index

chris king
on Jun 25, 2013 at 6:24:54 am

As far as I know, XAVC is a new recording format which can support 4K resolution (4096 * 2160 and 3840 * 2160) at up to 60 fps. However, .xavc is still not as popular as other kinds of video formats such as AVCHD and MXF. So when you deal with the XAVC/XAVC-S footages, for example, importing Sony XAVC to FCP or other Mac tools like QuickTime, Avid MC, Premier Pro, you may encounter some format compatibility or video/audio synchronization problems. The best solution I’ve found would be transcoding XAVC to a Mac compatible format for you editing program like Apple ProRes for FCP, MPEG-2 for Adobe Premiere Pro, DNxHD for Avid Media Composer.

Info from http://us.shuttle.com/scgforum/tm.aspx?m=6400&mpage=1&key=ᤀ

http://video-playback-tips.com/

Return to posts index

Don McVey
on Jun 25, 2013 at 10:30:29 am

I started this thread when the Sony F5 hadn't even been officially released. I don't think it's an issue anymore. All the editors support XAVC I think. FCP X and Avid certainly do. Not 100% on Premiere but it's getting update soon anyway :)

As to comment about Sony Vegas - not the best solution for a Mac user :)

Return to posts index

Mark Mooney
on Oct 28, 2013 at 5:27:04 am

Still trying to find a way to convert the XAVC 1080p 29.97 files to prores 29.97 1080p. Resolve and other conversions only convert to Pro res 1080psf. This does not work with my media 100 . media 100 sees that as 1080i
Any suggestions .. please!!!
Thanks
Mark

Return to posts index

John Gurney
on Oct 28, 2013 at 5:44:12 pm

Media Encoder works great. You may need to create your own preset depending on what flavor of ProRes you want to encode to.

Return to posts index

Keith Slavin
on Nov 1, 2013 at 3:58:15 am

Hi Mark,

If you still have trouble converting your file, you may want to check out isovideo's 2013 NAB/IABM Game-Changer Award winning Viarte standards conversion/transcoding services at http://www.isovideo.com/services.php. We have a lot more control over conversion/transcoding process (quality, speed, formats, etc). We are also offering a generous free trial as well, if you are interested, please contact me at keith@isovideo.com.

Best

Return to posts index

Kazarian K-Zar
on Sep 13, 2014 at 4:07:39 am

Some things I found in my own searches. Hoping someone could help me back these theories up.

Handbrake is free, and i think it can handle xavcs.

Also possibly ffmpeg streamclip I think might handle it.

Someone else mentioned "media converter", which I think I also recently acquired for fre......

For $35 you can get "xavc converter for (Mac)", which I hear does the job well and is very flexible.

None of these theories have I tested personally, but I lok forward to trying it out soon.

Kzar

Return to posts index

A. Tad Chamberlain
on Feb 11, 2015 at 7:43:20 am

K-zar...

I just came across this thread. I am currently on the verge of buying a Sony a7S and had the same concern about using/transcoding the XAVC-S video files in Premiere Pro (having moved to CS6 last summer after being on FCP 7 for years).

I'm curious to know which, if any, of those theories you mentioned ended up working best for you, and how you are liking the a7S.

Take care...

A. Tad Chamberlain
Festival Award-Winning Writer-Director
Emmy-Nominated Sound Mixer

Return to posts index

Black Jordan
on Mar 20, 2015 at 7:38:35 am

Premiere Pro CS6 will not natively support XAVC, but Adobe Premiere Pro CC, the latest version of Adobe Premiere Pro, has added support for this new camera format. If you stick with Premiere CS6, try to convert the XAVC codec to Premiere most compatible MPEG-2 codec using a third-party program.

I've had the pleasure of using the Video Converter for Mac (costs $27.96) to transcode the XAVC files from my F55 to work in my Premiere CS6 and FCP 7. You should give a try!

Return to posts index

Darren Edwards
on Nov 13, 2015 at 3:45:01 pm

This is for Win 8.1/Premier CS6 owners.

I started working with XAVC today (Nov 2015) from a FS7 camera. Users are recommending the $300+ TotalCode, however, for free, I'm having some success with VLC's inbuilt 'Convert/Save' option. Simple open the player > Media > Convert/Save > select file and you'll find a load of codec options -- that presumably replaces Handbrake that VLC are currently not working on.

The converted files still aren't importing into Prem healthily yet but converting with H.264 will at least reduce the large slo-mo files into something emailable and/or uploadable to socials. Early days for me, but I hope this helps.

Darren.

http://www.youtube.com/user/darrenpce

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]