ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Collaborative workflow, metadata, and merging projects...oh my!

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Kavanagh
Collaborative workflow, metadata, and merging projects...oh my!
on Mar 7, 2013 at 9:08:45 pm

So I'm a FCP/Avid guy doing a project on Premiere. I'm working on two editing stations on one site, and one off site. In my FCP days of working with multiple stations I would have a very consistent project folder structure and then I could virtually just email a project file back and forth with another editor, as long as that editor had all the media on his system. The workflow was very seamless. Now with Adobe I'm finding things that I would do in FCP but can't do here in Adobe land.

-So I"m finding that renaming a clip in the timeline does not update the name of the clip elsewhere including the bin. If there is a way around that that would be helpful, please tell.

-I'm thinking that utilizing metadata names and organize my clips that way, is the way to go but the only way I seem to be able to name a bunch of clip's metadata at the same time (so I'm not naming the clips one at a time) is through Prelude. So I created all this metadata, then brought the project to a station it all looked great, then I brought the project across the room and non of the metadata I created was in the project anymore. I brought over the "bin setting" and that didn't work either, the other system would not acknowledge the "schema". I also tried bringing all the media over on the chance that the media files had the metadata but still no luck.

-I also have assistant editors helping me. When I try to merge media adobe thinks that clips coming from the different projects are different, even though they are the same. For instance, I am editing a documentary with five scenes and one scene is in a donut shop, okay, the donut shop scene. My assistant strings together the "donut shop scene", I import it into my project and now my project has all the donut shop scene footage in it twice. Can I somehow tell adobe that the donut shop footage I'm importing into this project is the same as the donut shop footage that is already in my project?

I'm on all macs, all up to date with the latest and greatest software.
Feel free to clue me in on a practical way to work over two or three machines.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: Collaborative workflow, metadata, and merging projects...oh my!
on Mar 8, 2013 at 5:09:25 pm

Adobe Bridge is the place to work with Metadat - you can create boilerplate templates with, for example, your copyright info, then Append that to an existing Metadata file. And you can customize, add, and edit just about anything that exists in the Metadata.

I wrote an article a couple of years ago on Managing Broadcast Assets with Adobe Bridge:

http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/managing-broadcast-assets-with-adob...

You need to be careful with your XMP Metadata that the Metadata is going along with your file, and not being created as a Sidecar, which is a separate file, and you definitely don't want to deal with that in a collaborate workflow. Here's a bit of information from Adobe on using custom XMP Metadata:

http://www.adobe.com/products/xmp/custompanel.html

Once you wrap your head around it, it gets really easy to build into the workflow, especially in Bridge.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]