ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere CS6 - Much to love... but the performance is killing me

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Jackson
Premiere CS6 - Much to love... but the performance is killing me
on Feb 20, 2013 at 9:03:42 pm

I'm trying to make the transition from FCP to Premiere, and it's not going well. There's a lot to love, but my basic performance on a MacPro tower is just abysmal. I've scoured the web, spent two hours yesterday with the most frustrating tech support person I've ever dealt with, and still no solutions.

Generally I just get choppy playback. Sometimes it chugs on the first second or two and then smooths out. Sometimes it just gets in a bad mood and starts stuttering constantly until I stop playback, and will stay in a snit until I leave it alone for 10 minutes. Sometimes if I replay the same stretch of the sequence a few times, it will smooth out by the third or fourth try... other times it won't. Audio will frequently start out of sync, or start fine and then stutter and drift out, again with no consistency. It's just so random it makes my head spin.

At first I thought this problem was related to using DSLR and RED footage (though the issues remain with RED even at 1/4 resolution). But even simple sequences consisting of only 2 or 3 ProRes clips will stutter 50% of the time. Bottom line is - if I can't even get *that* to play smoothly and consistently, Premiere is not a viable NLE for me.

Mac Pro, dual quad-core 2.8Ghz, 8Gb RAM,with all footage and media caches on a blisteringly-fast eSATA RAID array. Blackmagic Decklink Studio 2, CUDA-enabled Nvidia card (GTX 480, not oficially supported but edited into the recognized cards text file, performs like a dream in After Effects). And for comparison, I can run half a dozen streams of ProRes on the same system in FCP or Avid without any issues whatsoever.

Any suggestions? I'm tearing my hair out.

Return to posts index

Dennis Tzeng
Re: Premiere CS6 - Much to love... but the performance is killing me
on Feb 20, 2013 at 9:43:05 pm

I'm a PC with an i7 2.2 ghz processor with 12 gigs of RAM and haven't had any issues with playback and I run off a basic 7200 rpm edit drive. I playback DSLR, DVC Pro HD 100, XDCAM, etc and it's all smooth for me.

8 gigs of RAM does seem kind of low for your system though. Perhaps you need to add 4 to 8 more gigs?

Dennis

Return to posts index

Mike Jackson
on Feb 21, 2013 at 1:15:45 am

Well, the performance you get on a completely different platform and OS doesn't really relate all that much - Apples and Oranges as they say ;)

But regarding the RAM - If DSLR and RED footage are chugging with 8Gb, that's disappointing but understandable. But there's something REALLY wrong if I can't get smooth playback from a single stream of ProRes on a system that *does* meet Adobe's official recommended RAM (and is double their min spec). And keep in mind, FCP could handle 3 or 4 streams without issue on my previous Mac with only 3 gigs.

I'll shell out for more RAM if it comes down to it, but right now I'm not even sure that's the issue...

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Feb 20, 2013 at 10:49:36 pm

What happens if you switch off CUDA acceleration in Software mode?

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Mike Jackson
on Feb 21, 2013 at 1:08:06 am

So far, the results have been incredibly inconsistent. Changing that setting in either direction (software only or CUDA) always tanks my performance so badly I usually have to restart Premiere. When I was doing very simple projects a couple of months ago, software only always performed worse. Now, on slightly larger projects (music videos with a lot of footage) I'm seeing no significant difference... at least not consistently. It might be that I drop a lot more frames but maintain better sound sync in software only, but I could just be imagining it...

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Feb 21, 2013 at 10:30:37 am

Hi Mike,

I think I see a couple of things that I would suggest as you make the switch. Bear in mind, that the switch does require some learning and finding out where that equilibrium is with the hardware and the software.

A couple of generic reminders just to clear them out of the way:
1 - make sure you're updated to the lastest version of CS6, which should be 6.0.2.
2 - ditto on the blackmagic drivers

To diagnose the problem and to aim towards consistent performance, I see two potential problem areas. One is lack of RAM and another is the BMD. I would try the following in this order.

1 - Get a bunch more RAM. Even if it's a complete failure, RAM is cheap and always provides a more consistent, stable editing experience for any 64-bit editing app on any platform. You have an 8 core machine. Generally speaking, I personally recommend having 3-4 gigs of RAM per CPU core. That would put you at 24-32. If that seems excessive it isn't. However, even boosting to 16GB of RAM will make a tremendous difference. It'll cost you a couple of hundred bucks at the most and it will make your whole system feel and perform better
2 - in order to get to the bottom of the problem, you might want to consider pulling the BMD card until you can get a consistent editing experience. 3rd party i/o cards can be a factor. If RAM doesn't cure your problem, pull the card and try again.

Beyond that, I would think about disabling the GPU card as Kevin suggested temporarily until you get it sorted out (again, removing variables). If you're still having problems, then we'll have to put our heads together and figure out what's plaguing you. At that point, maybe there's bad RAM or something else going on.

Finally, two general tips and maintanence ideas: Two tips

Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Feb 21, 2013 at 3:42:06 pm

Ditto on pulling the BMD card. Have not used it on Mac, but last PC system we built with CS6 and BMD was dodgy, ended up pulling the BMD card due to performance issues. Not to say that is definitely the issue, but if you can just try Adobe by itself, that will establish a "baseline performance" and removes the variable of the capture device.

If it still acts up, then you can start looking at other factors.

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Feb 21, 2013 at 5:18:33 pm

I have 2, 2009 macpro octocore systems with BMD hardware,
16gb of ram, Nvidia Quadro 4000s in each and external Raid 5 storage.

Both of them perform great with CS 6.01 and render very quickly.

Been using them for a year now and sometimes client supervised sessions.

Running 10.6.8 on both.

Return to posts index

Mike Jackson
on Feb 21, 2013 at 6:54:00 pm

Thanks for the response Dennis! I don't post often, but I've been really appreciating your involvement in the forums for a long time. After the debacle with FCPX (and Apple in general), it's been so refreshing seeing you and Adobe get directly involved with us, helping us when we need help, and really listening to our requests and concerns. Thank you.

What you're saying about my particular issues has me worried though, as I'm limited in how up-to-date I can get my BMD drivers. I'm still on Snow Leopard, and BMD's latest drivers are Lion only... but I have very little interest in updating my OS and risking having a lot of other software and functionality I use daily get broken. And I know I'm not the only person in the post industry who would prefer (or is forced, in order to maintain their servers) to stay on Snow Leopard, so it's pretty frustrating to see the third-party support vanish. Not that that's your problem of course, but still... worrying.

All that said, both the RAM and BMD suggestions have their problems for me. Fine on a trouble-shooting level (and I'll try disabling the BMD just to narrow down where the problem really is), but the cold hard fact of it is I need the BMD card more than I need Premiere. I'd love to make Premiere my workhorse... but both FCP Classic and Avid give me smooth playback with my BMD card, so at this point they win. Which hurts me deep in my soul, hence my coming here looking for fresh suggestions for a solve ;)

On a philisophical note though, I do have to say I worry about any software that has trouble playing back a single stream of video on a system with 8 gigs of RAM. Makes me think that either a) something's gone VERY wrong with my system, or b) something's very wrong with the code. I'd also humby request that Adobe revise the tech specs listed in all the documentation, since it sounds like the ACTUAL recommended RAM spec is 16 gigs or so, not the 8 currently listed.

Anyway, thanks for the help, and I'll start unplugging and deactivating things and see what happens...

Return to posts index

Mike Jackson
on Feb 21, 2013 at 7:05:09 pm

Oh, one other little tidbit. I don't know if it means anything, but I have iStat installed on my Mac, so I get constant readouts of CPU and RAM use at the top of my screen at all times. When my system gets pissy and is at its most unresponsive (as it is at this very moment, can't play longer than 5 seconds without picture freezing), my RAM reads at only 2/3 usage and all 8 cores are barely above idle...

Return to posts index

Mike Jackson
on Feb 21, 2013 at 7:13:53 pm

Well, deactivating the BMD card *improved* the situation, but didn't fix it enitirely. Still dropping frames, just less frequently.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Feb 21, 2013 at 7:18:12 pm

run the black magic speed test on your e-sata, post the results

You should definitely have at least 16gb of ram installed. minimum for octocore.

I'm pretty much on the same setup with 2 systems running snow leopard and
both run great for every day use.

Return to posts index

Mike Jackson
on Feb 22, 2013 at 1:09:05 am

BM Speed Test puts read and write in the 390-400MB/s range. It's definitely not the problem. Which I knew was the case anyway, because Premiere is the ONLY program that chokes on playback.

One interesting new discovery - The most recent time the program started choking and freezing, I minimized it... and when I opened it again, it revealed it was generating peak files. Which it seems to do every time I open each project, again and again, and had just finished doing a mere 5 minutes previously.

So is Premiere getting busy with weird operations in the background, rather than prioritizing playback?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 22, 2013 at 1:14:05 am

Is SL running in 64 bit or 32?

Return to posts index

Mike Jackson
on Feb 22, 2013 at 2:08:34 am

32. I'll try 64-bit on my next reboot.

Another clue - I just had about an hour of total stability and smooth playback, even with multiple ProRes clips stacked in my sequence. It was wonderful. Then I layed in a top layer for a mask (a PSD file with transparency) and got the yellow bar along the top for everything. Playback chugged and died.

I turned off the layer with the PSD, the yellow bar went away... but playback was still in the toilet. I deleted the PSD, no change. Premiere can no longer play a timeline that worked just fine a few minutes ago. Scrubbing sends black frames to my external monitor half the time, all operations are sluggish, even minimizing Premiere takes 20 seconds to complete.

And then, after waiting a few minutes and going back to Premiere, it plays just fine again.

Oh wait, no, it's back to its old shenanigans. Intermittent and unpredictable playback.

Sigh.

Return to posts index

Mike Jackson
on Feb 22, 2013 at 2:31:45 am

64-bit seems to make no difference.

One thing I *can* say difinitively - When I was on v 6.0.1, all playback was spotty, but usually only red bars choked it. Since going to 6.0.2, ProRes sequences with no colored bars above play more often, but even yellow bars stutter and cough.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Feb 22, 2013 at 7:00:47 pm

I've done that as well, booting the 64 bit kernel makes no difference
and is actually unnecessary as premiere doesn't require you do that
to run the app in its native 64 bit.

It sounds to me like you should revert to 6.01

I'm still running 6.01 and have none of the issues you are having.

I heard about a lot of problems mac users were having with 6.02
so I'm skipping that version altogether.

Return to posts index

Mike Jackson
on Feb 22, 2013 at 9:42:23 pm

Yeah, running in 64-bit mode brought my system to its knees. Even AE, which normally runs very well, started choking.

I did try rolling back to an earlier version, but I only have my installers for 6.0... which runs better in some ways, worse in others. And running Update just moves me up to 6.0.2. Any idea how I can get to 6.0.1?

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Feb 22, 2013 at 10:21:35 pm

you can download the 6.01 update here.

https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=98&platform=Mac...

It's the most trouble free version on mac in my opinion.

Return to posts index

Andrew Fallon
on Feb 24, 2013 at 3:08:09 am

I've been testing Premiere at the office with the idea of switching from FCP. Our main systems were Snow Leopard at the time I started and the performance was problematic. It wasn't nearly as bad as you describe, but I have a 12 core mac with 32 gb of RAM. Our other octo Mac with 8 gb didn't work out so well. The program lagged a lot, especially in the interface/timeline, dragging clips around, etc.

I upgraded our computers to Lion and Mountain Lion and the performance on both computers got instantly better. Realtime performance is great and only minor complaints. Still haven't fully switched over, but the OS upgrade definitely helped.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Feb 26, 2013 at 1:07:47 pm

Snow Leopard was introduced in...2009? CS6 is 2012 software. (I know...Adobe lists the 2011 10.6.8 patch as an acceptable OS...)

I suspect that this, combined with 8 GB of RAM are contributors. While I agree that Adobe's printed minimum system requirements are optimistic...it's very typical across the board for NLE manufacturers to look at scenarios where a school might use the system to teach editing and utilize very low overhead media types, and to try to be conservative. FCP7's minimum RAM requirement was also pretty unrealistic for heavy work when I compared them one day...

All that said, I agree that ProRes should run like butter (on a Mac)I think that you have to consider what else is running on the machine as it sounds like there is a fundamental conflict there somewhere.

With the inconsistent performance you note, what background apps are running that may be fluctuating in how they are interacting with the system? Is QT updated? (I don't know how the QT versions tie out to the OS versions, so maybe 7.6.6 or later is already in there automatically?) How about the iStat app you mention? Have you tried to kill some of this stuff and run PPro?

I know that a FCP user would say that PPro should run the same on their system as FCP does, but FCP7 is basically 32 bit, 2007 software with some updates in 2009.

Premiere Pro CS3 was current in 2007...Premiere Pro has released 4 major versions since then and 3 significant release versions since going 64 bit. If your OS version can't even run the Black Magic drivers released for this version of PPro...

I think even if you can get some of these issues cleaned up, you have to grant that it would run better on the newer OS versions and hardware drivers which would be contemporary to its release.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Adobe Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

Mike Jackson
on Feb 26, 2013 at 8:21:21 pm

I hear what you're saying about drivers and the OS... and in a perfect world, I would of course always upgrade. But for the last few years, Apple has been in the habit of cutting features I use with every release of pretty much everything they make... so to me it's usually a frustrating downgrade. Hence my reluctance. I also have almost a decade's worth of Final Cut projects that I'll always need to be able to go back to, and I'm just waiting in fear for the OSX update that breaks Final Cut for good.

To this day I maintain a WinXP machine with After Effects 5.5 on it, and probably do half my VFX work on it. Why? It has dozens of plug-ins that I use regularly that I don't have for the Mac, many of which are no longer available, having been either discontinued, sold-off and changed, or the companies that made them folded.

I often do work at a Journalism school, and they're still locked in on Tiger and FCP6, because their servers won't run on anything more recent. And I once cut a show at CBS in New York, 2006 or so... and most of their edit bays were running Avid on Macs from 1998 or 99. Point being - it's not a perfect world, and in this industry we can't always just switch to the newest version. All THAT said, I'm certainly considering it here... I just need to weigh the gains vs. losses.

As far as the performance goes, maybe I'm old school, but I generally expect new software on a slightly beefier machine to be able to at least match the performance of older software on a slower machine. That's not so unreasonable is it? ;) And also, keep in mind that Avid ALSO plays back just fine on my current system, so I'm not just comparing the latest version of Premiere to legacy software.

But away from philsophical ramblings and back to the matter at hand: Regarding other software running at the same time - Usually I don't have a lot else running. iStat has a tiny footprint, and often that's the only other thing on.

However, I've been using dynamic link to AE a lot on one of the music videos I'm cutting, and no surprise, once both programs are running and start fighting over RAM, Premiere starts to grind (though AE still performs swimmingly). I'm sure the RAM is the limiting factor, and that's fine, I can take my lumps. But even if I close AE, close and re-open Premiere and work on a completely different project with no dynamic links, Premiere will *still* grind, for anywhere from 10 minutes to half an hour or even until a system reboot.

Now I'm not a programmer (though I did work in the game industry for many years), but that seems to me to have all the signs of a memory management issue. It's like once Premiere fills up the RAM, even just for a second, for any reason, it never fully recovers. Of course, throwing more RAM at it would 'solve' the problem ;)

Still, so far the verdict from all the fine folks here seems to be - More RAM, move to Lion, and pray that solves the issue and doesn't break anything else, because we don't *really* know what the problem is...

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Feb 26, 2013 at 9:18:11 pm

[Mike Jackson] "I generally expect new software on a slightly beefier machine to be able to at least match the performance of older software on a slower machine. That's not so unreasonable is it? ;) And also, keep in mind that Avid ALSO plays back just fine on my current system, so I'm not just comparing the latest version of Premiere to legacy software."

What you're comparing however, is 2 legacy workflows that convert all sources to some uniform format before editing...and unless I'm mistaken, they're both 32 bit applications...they can't even address more than 4 GB of RAM maxed out...and with QT 7.x being 32 bit yet...they don't have to run the adaptation to make 32 bit codecs work in a 64 bit editing environment like Adobe does. Again...the applications. media structure, OS and hardware are a fit for those programs.

Adobe takes everything you throw at it, flops it on an edit timeline, and if you have the torque...doesn't have to render anything. Neither Avid or FCP are designed to do this. Even AMA isn't really the same thing.

Adobe's edit sequences aren't even tied to a codec (you set the preview codec independent of source formats)...they're just frame rate, frame size, and pixel aspect ratio...and I've even mixed those together along with mixing codecs and color subsample structure...

Premiere Pro just decodes it all to 4:4:4 32 bit float and plows through it. Non-video framesizes? No problem, just make up settings...portrait? Web banner? Whole number non-video framerates? Easy. (Do you know how much screen-grab FCP training is edited on Premiere Pro? :-) )

However, this capability does require some hardware power and that's why FCP7 and ProRes will run beautifully on a Mac laptop that will choke and die editing much smaller, but far more intense-to-decode DSLR h264 video in Premiere Pro.

The system demands are just vastly different for a 64 bit application and a "decodes anything and cut it" workflow. I have 16 GBs RAM and a 2 GB Quadro card in my Lenovo i7 laptop...and I cut RED R3D on it with out much bother at all.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Adobe Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

Mike Jackson
on Feb 26, 2013 at 10:00:52 pm

Ahhhhh, thank you. You've given me a piece of information I needed in order to understand what's going on, and why seemingly simpler tasks perform worse. Of COURSE, if Premiere is transcoding everything in realtime into 4:4:4 32-bit float, that's going to take a HELL of a lot of horsepower!

Even when I have mis-matched codecs in FCP, it usually only has to transcode into 4:2:2, 8-bit or 16-bit, which is all I need while cutting. I save 32-bit float for when I hit color correction (or occasionaly VFX rendering).

It does make me wonder though, if Premiere might benefit from being able to set a per-sequence preference for how high-quality that realtime transcoding is. Or is that what the sequence settings for 'maximum bit-depth' and 'maximum quality' are all about? I had assumed that referred to the quality of preview renders, not general playback...?

Mind you, turning those off doesn't seem to bring my performance back to life once 'the wall' gets hit. Overtax the RAM once, and Premiere is dead until a relaunch...

Return to posts index

Mike Jackson
on Feb 26, 2013 at 7:50:13 pm

Interesting. That makes me feel a lot less alone at least... and believe it or not, may be the first time I've heard anyone say something nice about upgrading to Lion or Mountain Lion.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Feb 25, 2013 at 6:04:34 pm

[Mike Jackson] "Thanks for the response Dennis! I don't post often, but I've been really appreciating your involvement in the forums for a long time."

Hey thanks. I really do believe in supporting the community and the Cow is a great place to help out. It's nice to know I'm appreciated! ;-)

[Mike Jackson] "I'm still on Snow Leopard"

Sure, I see where you're coming from and appreciate that not everyone moves up to the latest/greatest right away. That said, most of the Mac users I've dealt with including large enterprises have moved or are moving to Mountain Lion successfully. Maybe the rest of the software you use daily has caught up.

As for BMD, I haven't read the rest of the thread since your reply here but will do so. While not likely, if you have the ability to test out another machine that is Mountain Lion with RAM and BMD, it would be interesting to see if the experience is very different.

[Mike Jackson] "On a philisophical note though, I do have to say I worry about any software that has trouble playing back a single stream of video on a system with 8 gigs of RAM. Makes me think that either a) something's gone VERY wrong with my system, or b) something's very wrong with the code. I'd also humby request that Adobe revise the tech specs listed in all the documentation, since it sounds like the ACTUAL recommended RAM spec is 16 gigs or so, not the 8 currently listed."

I used to play 4 streams of HD video back on my 8GB Mac laptop without difficulty, so I know that this is not the issue. Also, there is a big difference between minimum and recommended requirements. I like to be very real (and candid) and have found that RAM is good for computers all around and that 32 or even 64GB can be downright useful today in editing and content creation.

I think we have a confluence of events that may be contributing to your problem. If you want to hit me on twitter (@TheGenesisProj) or post a comment on my blog (http://blogs.adobe.com/genesisproject/), I can try to get you some answers or on with a tech support person.

Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Feb 25, 2013 at 8:29:11 pm

The other thing is that I've heard certain eSATA RAIDS have trouble with Premiere Pro. Please try and copy your media to another drive and see if that alleviates your issues.

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Mike Jackson
on Feb 26, 2013 at 9:34:12 pm

Maybe I'm dumb, but I'm not on Twitter and I can't figure out how to contact you via posts on your blog. If you could send an e-mail to any address you want to invent, @steampoweredfilms.ca, it'll get to me.

I just had a major diagnosis breakthrough though! As I theorized in a posting earlier today, it seems to be a very specific sort of memory issue - As long as I don't make the system do anything taxing, it runs fine. A single stream of anything but RED footage will play perfectly - ProRes, DSLR, whatever. UNTIL... I tax the system. Three streams of ProRes, or hitting an unrendered Dynamic Link shot, and it's like a bullet to the head. Premiere starts chugging, and ALL actions start to lag... FOREVER. Even the simplest actions no longer work. Going back to the sequence with a single stream, it no longer plays.

Occasionally I can wait 10-20 minutes and I might be able to play simple sequences again, but usually only killing and restarting Premiere will restore playback... *IF* I wait a good 10 minutes before relaunching.

So *hopefully* more RAM will fix this right up... but it sure feels like a memory management / memory leak type of issue in the code to me...?

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Feb 27, 2013 at 12:16:08 am

I think you might have enlightened me as to what part of the problem could be. Are you using the fractional resolution playback capabilities at all?

This video touches on it as part of a basic CS6 overview: Redesign Source and Program Monitors

If you stack a ton of ProRes and performance starts to sputter, you can down-res during playback so you get a real-time performance. At 1/2 res, you'll be shocked at how good the video is at. Even 1/4 is usually usable given the source material.

Here's where it gets interesting. HD codecs only go down to 1/4 because 1/4 of 1080 is 270 lines - nothing great, but not bad. With RED, we allow you to step down to 1/16! however, even 1/16 of 4096 is 256 which is about the same. However, if put a RED clip into a HD timeline, you can only step down the RED material to 1/4. My laptop doesn't have a problem with RED at 1/4 but perhaps this is part of the problem. If nothing else, it's good to know about this stuff.

Return to posts index

Mike Jackson
on Feb 27, 2013 at 12:33:37 am

The project that's giving me the most trouble was largely shot on the RED Scarlet, and so I did originally start with that, using 1/2 res playback to check my dailies and organize the footage. It worked great, and it was only when I started actually cutting that everything fell apart. So I moved to ProRes transcodes, but things didn't get much better.

In this particular case though, 1/2 (or lower) res isn't an option. We shot this music video with a lot of wides and no guide track, so I have to sync everything by eye. Which I'm normally very good at... but I need to see the singer's lips clearly ;)

And of course, add stuttering playback and audio drift, and I'm just pulling my hair out...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]