ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Hard Drive optimized 1ssd, 3 hdd in Raid, 2hdd

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Perry
Hard Drive optimized 1ssd, 3 hdd in Raid, 2hdd
on Jan 24, 2013 at 4:36:01 pm

Ok, here is my situation. I'm looking into the the short future here, I can afford a decent SSD which I will buy soon. Most likely a 480gig. A little farther down the road I"m looking at buying 3 WD Black HDD. I currently have 2 1TB hdd 1 a black and one a blue. (btw all these drives are 1TB).

I'm looking at the most optimized way to work in adobe premiere and After Effects. I'm aware that After Effects is more processor driven and Premiere includes so many scenarios to make it run smoothly.

This is what I'm thinking about setting up:
I'm looking at using a 480gb SSD as the Boot drive (OS, Key Software, no games).
I want t use the 1TB WD Blue unnecessary software and games, documents, and Project Files, ect.
I'll use the 3 1TB HDD's in a Raid5 set up as my media drive (all my video files)
I will then use my one remaining 1TB Black Drive as a cache drive.

Does this work in the most efficient way? (the only way I can think of being better in performance is to have a Raid set up for the cache). I've always had the understanding that you want to keep the Read and Write drives separate. The reason I chose to use the Raid on the Video files drive is to take advantage of the Raid Speed, and redundancy.

If this is a good set up I'll get the storage I need for this set up and hopefully by the time that I get this in place I can upgrade my key components (Motherboard, Processor, and Ram) I'm waiting for DDR4 Memory to come out so I will be future proofed for a while. Currently I'm running a 3 year old system: (well mostly)

AMD Phenom Quad Core Black 3.1gghz
Asus M4a78 Pro Mobo (Upgrading)
8GB ddr2 RAM (upgrading)
750W Power Supply (Staying)
GTX 580 Super Clocked (staying)
Antec Ninehundrded Case
Sony Blu-ray Drive
128GB SSD combined with HDD Boost and a 1TB HDD (effective but I think I lack performance) - OS, Software and games.
1TB HDD (Media Storage)
300GB external - (Project Files and Exports)(Old and hoping to use less)
150GB external - Documents pictures ect. (Old and hoping to use less)

Return to posts index

Gabriel Sanchez
Re: Hard Drive optimized 1ssd, 3 hdd in Raid, 2hdd
on Jan 24, 2013 at 8:13:07 pm

I´ll use the ssd drive for media cache, and a hdd drive as boot drive, probably a 500 gb one, but if you have the 1 tb WD Black then use this for system drive. Adobe reccomends Raid 0 for media, but i think Raid 5 will be ok.

Regards

Return to posts index

Eric Perry
on Jan 25, 2013 at 9:44:04 am

I´ll use the ssd drive for media cache, and a hdd drive as boot drive, probably a 500 gb one, but if you have the 1 tb WD Black then use this for system drive. Adobe reccomends Raid 0 for media, but i think Raid 5 will be ok. q

I could potentially have a 120ssd (currently in the system) and use it for a media cache drive. I would like to have the quick start up and software start up benefit from an SSD. I saw a huge leap in performance when I upgraded a few years ago with an SSD as my boot drive.

My question for you is, what are the cache files? Are they rendered media that premiere uses or are they information used by premiere/after effects in conjunction with the raw media?

Return to posts index

Gabriel Sanchez
on Jan 25, 2013 at 5:14:15 pm

Media cache files are the ones generated and used everytime by PPro for better performance instead of the original media.

Regards

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Jan 24, 2013 at 10:59:15 pm

[Eric Perry] "Does this work in the most efficient way?"

I am a big fan of simplifying things and not a big fan of an alphabet soup of drive letters for any reason, CS6 apps included:
- 480GB SSD for OS/apps and AE GPC (Global Performance Cache), since those two uses (OS/apps and AE GPC) benefit from an SSD the most.
- All your five 1TB drives in RAID5 as your main media volume; Pr cache and exports can all go there but test this RAID set for performance and stability first given that it'll be using disparate drives.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Eric Perry
on Jan 25, 2013 at 9:50:25 am

[Alex Gerulaitis] "I am a big fan of simplifying things and not a big fan of an alphabet soup of drive letters for any reason, CS6 apps included:
- 480GB SSD for OS/apps and AE GPC (Global Performance Cache), since those two uses (OS/apps and AE GPC) benefit from an SSD the most.
- All your five 1TB drives in RAID5 as your main media volume; Pr cache and exports can all go there but test this RAID set for performance and stability first given that it'll be using disparate drives."

Thanks Alex. I'm just curious if that will wear out the ssd drive quicker. I've read a few places that constant writing to the drive will degrade it over time. I can, however, do this if I need to with the current 120gb SSD I have in my current set up. When you say GPC, (this may be the terminology in cs6) you mean the cache (which I see in my version cs5) right? Currently I have those set up to write to my external drive where my exports and projects are located. I'm assuming I'm getting less performance out of that situation than I could have writing to my Boot drive which I mentioned earlier is set up with an SSD and a 1TB HDD with a HDDBOOST configuration.

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Jan 25, 2013 at 8:31:56 pm

[Eric Perry] "Thanks Alex. I'm just curious if that will wear out the ssd drive quicker. I've read a few places that constant writing to the drive will degrade it over time."

The fear of a premature demise of SSDs due to excessive writes is overrated, especially with good ones like Intel 520 and Samsung 840 Pro series. For one, "excessive writes" usually refers to database servers that put a near-100% load on those SSDs 24/7. CS6 can come to 1% of that load if it's lucky and even if the editor is having 10 triple-espressos a day. It doesn't mean SSDs never fails, it only means they very rarely fail due to excessive writes.

[Eric Perry] "When you say GPC, (this may be the terminology in cs6) you mean the cache (which I see in my version cs5) right?"

After Effects CS6 Global Performance Cache, specifically - which is awesome and one of the biggest reasons to upgrade to CS6 for AE users, from what I hear. Much faster with SSDs.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]