ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Best Export Options for a HD Youtube Video

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Haley
Best Export Options for a HD Youtube Video
on Jan 20, 2013 at 5:24:39 pm

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to the video editing world but started using Premiere Pro CS6 to create some videos for work. So far so good except I'm not sure what would be considered a best practice for rendering and exporting the video for a high-quality YouTube video. When I rendered my current project I chose the H.264 file format, with the YouTube 720p 25 frames/sec preset. However when the file is finished rendering and I play the file it looks choppy and does not play smoothly. Is there something I am overlooking in the export settings or could this be another issue altogether?

thanks.

Return to posts index

Jan Bauters
Re: Best Export Options for a HD Youtube Video
on Jan 20, 2013 at 6:44:26 pm

I always upload in the codec i'm working in (mostly ProRes 422HQ, or Uncompressed 8bit) and let YouTube do the conversion. The result is fine for me.
http://www.youtube.com/user/GreyJay

grtz Jan

Return to posts index

Sam Comer
on Jan 20, 2013 at 7:02:40 pm

Why 25 fps? Are you shooting in PAL? Or do you mean 25 mbs?

I find the optimal settings for youtube - high enough quality to look good, but not such a huge file as to take forever to load - are 720p, h.264, at 5mbs (5,000 kbs). This is pretty much what youtube recommends as well.

Return to posts index

Patrick Haley
on Jan 21, 2013 at 12:23:32 am

Thanks my issue is primarily out of my lack of experience with video formats and everything I have to take into account with them. When choosing my presets I have dozens of options including YouTube HD 720p 23.976 fps, 25 fps and 29 fps. I chose 25 fps because I didn't know what else to choose. I don't really know anything about PAL and most of my shots are recordings of my desktop to make webcasts.

*edit* I went through the export menu again and noticed a dozen or so more options under the Video tab. Currently my frame rate is 24, field order is progressive, aspect is Square Pixels 10, TV standard is NTSC, profile high, level 3.1, bitrate encoding is VBR 2 pass, target bitrate is 6 Mbps, max bitrate is 9 Mbps, and keyframe distance is 73. Any idea how to increase the smoothness of the shot?

Return to posts index

Sam Comer
on Jan 21, 2013 at 1:23:52 am

those bitrate settings should be fine for youtube. The question is your source. You say you're recording your desktop? What resolution is your video capture program using?

Return to posts index

Patrick Haley
on Jan 21, 2013 at 2:21:36 am

It appears to be 1194x720 (1.0) with a frame rate of 4.92

Return to posts index

Ivan M. Semeniuk
on Jan 21, 2013 at 3:23:42 am

It will look choppy if the source file is being captured at 4.92 frames per second. Exporting at 25 fps just repeats each frame five times. Try to recapture at a higher frame rate.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jan 21, 2013 at 4:32:56 pm

In premeire, did you let premiere match the sequence settings to your source clip?

What is the footage you are working with in Premiere?
720p/24p?

Your sequence should match your footage should match your export for YouTube.
See screen shot here of Youtube specs:

Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]