ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Solving interlaced SD aliasing while monitoring Premiere with AJA Kona 3 on a broadcast monitor

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Lyons
Solving interlaced SD aliasing while monitoring Premiere with AJA Kona 3 on a broadcast monitor
on Jan 5, 2013 at 7:34:06 am

Hi,
I've been test driving Premiere Pro and AVID trying to sort out the differences with both tools. While using AJA Kona 3 card for both apps I ran into an issue that took me a little bit to figure out and I wanted to share here in the event it is helpful to someone who might also still be actually editing in SD :)

PROBLEM:
What would happen is while playing back a 720x486 29.97 SD IMX50 Mb source natively it looked fine in AVID but when I played the same portion of the same clip in Premiere Pro (yes the sequence matched the source settings) , as the shot tilted down any horizontal lines were crawling/aliased, they seemed almost low quality/draft modish.

SOLUTION:
After assuming that it was something to do with App to AJA rasterization I finally poked around and found that when you right click on your program (Sequence) monitor you are presented with Fields menu with Display options of: Display First Field, Display Second Field, Display Both Fields. It was set to Display First Field. I changed to 'Display Both Fields' and Voila the alias issue was resolved, it looked smooth as the AVID playing the same clip.

IMHO the default should be set to 'Display Both'.

Happy 2013!

Return to posts index

Tapio Haaja
Re: Solving interlaced SD aliasing while monitoring Premiere with AJA Kona 3 on a broadcast monitor
on Jan 6, 2013 at 5:31:07 pm

Yeah, I also had this same problem. I've given Adobe feedback about this and said that Premiere should always output both fields to video I/O like all the other programs do.

Best
Tapio

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]